PDA

View Full Version : Boat died yesterday. Not sure whats wrong or who to call

redwings0921
08-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Yesterday my boat stopped in the water while we were pulling. It would not start back up. It is definitely trying, but it just doesn't start. I feel like fuel is not making it to the engine, but I am not very knowledgeable with engines. It has struggled starting a few times before, but in the end it barely starts. How do I know if its the fuel pump? Who can I call to have this thing serviced soon in LBI(southern NJ)? Hoping to be out on the water this saturday and most marinas are either backed up a week or don't service mastercrafts. By the way, the boat is a 99 x-star.

Evan Jones
08-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Does the fuel pump hum for a couple seconds when you turn the key from off to acc position ?

redwings0921
08-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Assuming I am correct that the fuel pump is the circular piece with the red line leaving it, then no.

02ProstarSammyD
08-11-2011, 12:12 PM
You'll hear the pump if its running. I would put a pressure gauge on the pump and see what it reads. If you are getting low pressure than it seems like your culprit. If you are reading donuts then you might have a bad connection etc. Problems like this can be anything. Mine ran like crap for months and sometimes would just quit. Turned out to be a bad connection to the fuel pump in a connector.

redwings0921
08-11-2011, 12:30 PM
You'll hear the pump if its running. I would put a pressure gauge on the pump and see what it reads. If you are getting low pressure than it seems like your culprit. If you are reading donuts then you might have a bad connection etc. Problems like this can be anything. Mine ran like crap for months and sometimes would just quit. Turned out to be a bad connection to the fuel pump in a connector.

Where was the connection? I cleaned out all the connections directly to the fuel pump?

redwings0921
08-11-2011, 12:36 PM
How do I tell if its a bad connection or the pump is bad? Could it be the filter?

redwings0921
08-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Just wd-40'd the connections and it sounded like it almost got there one time. I took a video so you guys can hear what I'm hearing. Will be posted shortly

02ProstarSammyD
08-11-2011, 12:49 PM
You can bypass the power from the harness to the fuel pump and it will tell you if its an issue there. First off inspect your harness to make sure no connections are lose or disconnected. Then bypass the power. Is yours an in tank pump?

Also a dumb thing here but have you checked your voltage on your batteries and at the starter?

rem_pss308
08-11-2011, 12:52 PM
First I would check the fuse. there are three fuses by the engine. they are the automotive plug in type. then I would check to see if the fuel pump relay is clicking. its also by the engine. If it clicks when the key is turned on. then it is getting power.
Both the fuses and the relays are around the ski rope pole. on the passenger side of the boat. ( i think its the port side )

there are a couple of plugs that can have corrosion going from the relay to the fuel pump. You have to remove the rear seat to get access.

then you will have access to the fuel tank, and you can really tell if the fuel pump is humming. ( mine is hard to hear )

If you hear the humming, then I would buy a fuel gauge from an auto parts store and attach it to the shredder valve at the back of the motor on top. ( looks like whats on a bicycle tire to put air into.)

the gauge will tell you a lot, and its worth the 40.00 bucks . ( I have used mine a lot )

Our fuel pumps are not the bad ones. but that doesnt mean they wont go out.

oldairboater
08-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Don't wish to sound pessimistic but your in over your head. You need a repair manual specific for your boat to begin with. It will give you some reference to what you need to look at and test. I recommend you get a manual or find a shop. This forum is good but everyone has an opinion on what could be wrong. Including myself. For an engine to run it must have fire, fuel, exhaust, and intake at a certain time. You will need to verify what is missing and I suspect it could be fuel or fire.

redwings0921
08-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Video- View My Video (http://tinypic.com/r/2helmcz/7)

redwings0921
08-11-2011, 01:05 PM
You can bypass the power from the harness to the fuel pump and it will tell you if its an issue there. First off inspect your harness to make sure no connections are lose or disconnected. Then bypass the power. Is yours an in tank pump?

Also a dumb thing here but have you checked your voltage on your batteries and at the starter?

Not sure how to check the voltage. The pump is in the tank. How would I bypass the power?

redwings0921
08-11-2011, 01:07 PM
First I would check the fuse. there are three fuses by the engine. they are the automotive plug in type. then I would check to see if the fuel pump relay is clicking. its also by the engine. If it clicks when the key is turned on. then it is getting power.
Both the fuses and the relays are around the ski rope pole. on the passenger side of the boat. ( i think its the port side )

there are a couple of plugs that can have corrosion going from the relay to the fuel pump. You have to remove the rear seat to get access.

then you will have access to the fuel tank, and you can really tell if the fuel pump is humming. ( mine is hard to hear )

If you hear the humming, then I would buy a fuel gauge from an auto parts store and attach it to the shredder valve at the back of the motor on top. ( looks like whats on a bicycle tire to put air into.)

the gauge will tell you a lot, and its worth the 40.00 bucks . ( I have used mine a lot )

Our fuel pumps are not the bad ones. but that doesnt mean they wont go out.

Fuse's look good and I hear a click when I turn the key to acc. Mine could be humming, I may just not be able to hear it. What is the shredder valve?

oldairboater
08-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Schrader valve is like what is on a inner tube. I may have mispelled it also but it isn't a shredder.

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-11-2011, 01:13 PM
You mentioned fuel filters I'm not familiar with where they are on your model but tha should be easy to check and if you have never serviced them they need it anyway.

rem_pss308
08-11-2011, 01:22 PM
The fuel filter is in the tank. you have to take the rear seat out to get access to it.

rem_pss308
08-11-2011, 01:23 PM
If you take the fuel cell out. there is also a screen at the bottom of the fuel pump. that can get clogged.

redwings0921
08-11-2011, 01:26 PM
So I cleaned more connections and tried to start it twice. Second time it didnt even try to turn over. All i got was a click. Battery still has a charge.

rem_pss308
08-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Just watched your video. While your seat is out. have someone turn the key on. Hold your head close to the fuel pump cell. ( has about 10 allen head screws and is round ) you should here a slight hum for about two seconds when the key is turned on. To try it again. you will have to wait about 30 seconds. the fuel pump primes the system at key turn on. then while cranking the fuel pump runs again.

When you get the fuel gauge hooked to the shrader valve. the gauge should read about 40psi at key turn on. also during cranking, and running.

the shrader valve is also on the port side at the top of the engine towards the back.

rem_pss308
08-11-2011, 01:31 PM
CHeck your battery connections. they need to be super clean. . the ecm will not start the boat if you have low voltage.

Use volt meter and check voltage at battery. at starter. all should be over 12 volts

redwings0921
08-11-2011, 01:37 PM
CHeck your battery connections. they need to be super clean. . the ecm will not start the boat if you have low voltage.

Use volt meter and check voltage at battery. at starter. all should be over 12 volts

I don't have a volt meter, but the gauge is telling me its around 13. Where do I find the starter?

rem_pss308
08-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Dash gauge will tell stories.

Witha boat as old as ours. a volt meter ( 20 .00 from radio shack )
and a fuel gauge from discount auto. or auto zone for less than 40.00 are two important items.

the starter is on the port side at the bottom of the engine.

redwings0921
08-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Dash gauge will tell stories.

Witha boat as old as ours. a volt meter ( 20 .00 from radio shack )
and a fuel gauge from discount auto. or auto zone for less than 40.00 are two important items.

the starter is on the port side at the bottom of the engine.

What does it look like?

02ProstarSammyD
08-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Yea just b/c your battery is fine doesn't mean the connections are. 15 bucks at ace or hd for a meter. Hit the battery & the cables at the starter. You could have a loose connection, corrosion.

How I check starting problems:
Battery
cables
fuses

If that doesn't show a problem:
Spark?
Fuel?

To me its sounding more like a cable or battery problem.

redwings0921
08-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Yea just b/c your battery is fine doesn't mean the connections are. 15 bucks at ace or hd for a meter. Hit the battery & the cables at the starter. You could have a loose connection, corrosion.

How I check starting problems:
Battery
cables
fuses

If that doesn't show a problem:
Spark?
Fuel?

To me its sounding more like a cable or battery problem.

But would all this cause the boat to shut down while moving?

xbot50000
08-11-2011, 02:12 PM
My boat shut down while towing a skier - it wouldn't start back up either. Would crank but eventually the battery gave up. Mine was the fuel pump. It's a cheap fix, 100 bucks and an hour's work. Ton's of material on here how to do it.

rem_pss308
08-11-2011, 02:16 PM
have you found the shrader valve at the back of the engine?

If so. there is a valve inside the end of it.

turn the key on. and press in on that valve. fuel should shoot out. ( not dribble )

with out a guage you can at least see if you are getting a little fuel pressure.

when I get home I can take pictures of what these items are. but Im at work at the moment.

Its very hard to diagnose the problem with out the volt meter, and fuel gauge.

rem_pss308
08-11-2011, 02:18 PM
I would go ahead and put a battery charger on the battery too. cause if its clicking. its either your battery is low on voltage. or youhave a bad connection. or the starter is bad.

02ProstarSammyD
08-11-2011, 03:34 PM
^exactly. Could be dead cell too. He needs to check the voltage at the battery and the starter with a meter.

redwings0921
08-11-2011, 03:55 PM
What does the starter look like? Does anyone know the part number for the fuel pump?

rem_pss308
08-11-2011, 03:58 PM
The starter is round cylinder shape with a sylinoid attached. the cylinoid has some wires hooked to it. a large one. and some smaller ones.

02ProstarSammyD
08-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Not being mean at all but if you don't know what the starter looks like or where to find it you need to familiarize yourself with not only your boat but also some basic mechanical information. Alot of manuals floating around. you can F up alot in a heartbeat by not knowing what you are doing

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-11-2011, 04:05 PM
I would agree with 02 about the manuals....you might also condiser finding a friend or family member who know a little about motors to show you around the motor.

rem_pss308
08-11-2011, 04:13 PM
X2 ^^^^^^^^^^

milehigh970
08-11-2011, 04:26 PM
^^^x3
there are tons of people on here who have years of mechanical knowledge to point you in the right direction... But can only do so much through a keyboard. Do you have a friend, family member, or neighbor that works on there own cars? I bet a mechanically inclined neighbor without a boat would be thrilled to help for a couple pulls on a tube for his kids ;)

02ProstarSammyD
08-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Read your manual

http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals

Find a buddy

buy him beer

learn.

If you don't have any buddies find a mechanic that will let you watch/learn while he works and explain to you the problems. It will cost you 85 bucks/hr but knowledge is power.

rem_pss308
08-11-2011, 09:09 PM
This is what the starter looks like.

redwings0921
08-12-2011, 09:02 AM
I've been planning on having a mechanic look at this, but have been unable to find anyone so until then I am doing what i can.

This is what the starter looks like.

Thanks

xbot50000
08-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Search fuel pumps on here. There is a detailed post on how to replace the actual pump within the intank module. It has plenty of pictures as well. The replacement pump (part numbers are in the thread) can be bought at any parts store. It's an easy fix if you can undo ten screws and attach two worm clamps.

I doubt it's your starter considering your boat died well after it started.

oldairboater
08-12-2011, 03:48 PM
We all learn as we go but sometimes you need to get a manual and read it as you go. It will show you how to take apart, put together, or troubleshoot a problem. Your all over the place on this issue. One problem at a time--one fix at a time. Start with and finish the fuel system problem first.

02ProstarSammyD
08-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Or even better.......start with the cheap, easy, and logical then move to the rest

ahhudgins
08-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Not being mean at all but if you don't know what the starter looks like or where to find it you need to familiarize yourself with not only your boat but also some basic mechanical information. Alot of manuals floating around. you can F up alot in a heartbeat by not knowing what you are doing

I agree 100%. Take it to a local garage before you get in over your head. If you don't know what you are doing (or looking at) you will end up with more problems.

My 16 year old decided to change the oil in his car (actually my car :D) when I wasn't home and ended up stripping the hole in the aluminum oil pan. I appreciate his effort, but now it's more thing for Dad to fix.

Jerseydave
08-12-2011, 10:44 PM
^I agree.....try a good local repair shop that works on chevy engines in cars/trucks if you're not able to check your fuel pressure yourself. (but you should check it yourself....my opinion is you have a bad fuel pump...you engine is cranking fine in your video)

Surf and Offshore Marine in Pt Pleasant does boat repairs but I'm sure they are real busy this time of year. (they use to sell Mastercraft years ago....got my '94 Prostar from them)

I think there is a boat repair shop in Mays Landing at the head of the Great Egg Harbor river. Not sure of their name but they work on alot of Mastercrafts. Mays Landing marina maybe?