PDA

View Full Version : Secondaries mechanical

Wouter
08-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Just curious: Has anyone converted their Holley 4160 to mechanical secondaries? (Constantly having issues with secondaries diaphragm and vacuum):mad:

oldairboater
08-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Why are you having issues with diaphragm or vacuum? Mine is reliable and predictable. They are coming in at 3000 rpm unless we nail it.

Wouter
08-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Why are you having issues with diaphragm or vacuum? Mine is reliable and predictable. They are coming in at 3000 rpm unless we nail it.

Don't know what is going on... Secondaries open sporadically. Will try to change the diaphragm first. Just seems like mechanical would be more reliable than vacuum...

oldairboater
08-12-2011, 02:36 PM
One of my boats is mechanical and is predictable but it seems that when they come in they really come in. The one with the diaphragm doesn't seem to come in as fast. Not sure if I am explaining it right. I just learned to live with what it is.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Vacuum secondaries have a greater potential for corrosion to inhibit their operation. Are you operating in salt water?

Wouter
08-19-2011, 06:02 AM
Vacuum secondaries have a greater potential for corrosion to inhibit their operation. Are you operating in salt water?

Nope. Fresh water. Ordered a new diaphragm. Will put it in this weekend and see...

1redTA
08-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Dont the mechanical carbs have two metering plates and two accelerater pumps? It would probably be cheaper to buy a mech. Secondary over converting it. Personally I would rebuild it first