PDA

View Full Version : Anybody shoot trap?

curtish
08-11-2011, 12:32 AM
I bought a 12 gauge u/o about 2 months ago because I love to shoot trap (although I'm not that great, which brings me to my problem). I am fine at the ones on the sides, but the straight away ones in the middle are very elusive. Can anybody diagnose why I can't hit the "easy" ones?

blackcreek
08-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Can anybody diagnose why I can't hit the "easy" ones?
Yes. You need better aim and timing so the shot and the clay arrive in the same spot at the same time. If you fix that you will be good to go.

pmkkdx
08-11-2011, 12:53 PM
shoot earlier, the farther out it gets, the less concentration of shot & energy also shoot with both eyes open. most o/u are shorter barrels with more open choke (improved cylinder/modified). The closer the clay is to you, the more shot concentration & energy retained. the straight away ones, the shot is chasing the clay.

tex
08-11-2011, 04:33 PM
I shoot crap!

BIGBADBLUE
08-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Shot trap and skeet for many years. Good advise about shoot early and make sure you have the right choke.

The tendancy on the straight away targets is to shoot over them. This is really a problem for duck and goose hunters. next time you go out put the bead on the target, this will feel like you are shooting low but you will mentally compensate and should be OK. Try it. This is what worked for me.

TxsRiverRat
08-11-2011, 05:15 PM
I shoot crap!

no doubt about that...

I only shoot living things like pigs deer and any other ones of gods animals

curtish
08-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Guys, I'm not a total noob. I understand the physics of having to lead and all that, that's why I can hit the ones on the sides.

BIGBADBLUE thanks for some helpful info. I think you are right that I am probably shooting over them. I'll try what you suggested.

curtish
08-12-2011, 12:32 AM
Also, my o/u does not have removable chokes, but I did verify that I should be shooting the over barrel for the distance I am shooting.