PDA

View Full Version : Tranny failure on 79 s n s

ssippiriverrat
08-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Was out Sunday night after dumping $700 and like 3 weekends worth of work in my 79 ( needed a new carb). Got her out was running great for like an hr and then started to get a solid vibration that I never felt b4. Got worse and worse ( could feel it at higher speeds). Tooled back to the dock and as I was about to put it on the trailer...had a nice crunch and the tranny completely failed...I had no forward or reverse.

My question to u guys is what is the next best option (keep in mind I'm a poor grad student). Thinking about bringing it to a transmission place. Not too many places that work on crafts in Iowa (that aren't very expensive). I know my way around an engine but am not an expert at trannys at all.

Not sure of the next step. Sell her for parts? Anyone have a beginners guide to checking out a transmission?

WilliM1940
08-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Go here for tranny manuals:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/manuals.asp

and keep a look out on ebay, there is a lot of borg warner stuff on there, sometimes real cheap.

ssippiriverrat
08-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks I'm going to try to get my hands dirty and see what happens

79 S@S rda
08-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Well if you are lucky it
May just be the torque plate that bolts to your flywheel.

milehigh970
08-11-2011, 08:17 PM
^^^^ very possible with the water bed mattress for surfing ;)

DemolitionMan
08-11-2011, 08:51 PM
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1101

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-11-2011, 10:07 PM
http://www.marineparts.com/partspages/velvetdrive/velvet1.htm

ssippiriverrat
08-12-2011, 10:18 PM
thanks for the links--

wow--last night i went out to check out the boat and motor--checking out the tranny and I realize I didn't have a prop shaft coming out of the coupler!

shaft had completely broke in two--I checked the motor alignment and it was completely tilted to the right side--

Gonna check the tranny tomorrow--(make sure she's ok)--and look for a new prop shaft--anyone know a good source with a number/link? I've heard Eric at OJ is good...

milehigh970
08-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Better than a tranny... Skidim sells them too. I would definitely get a new set of strut bushings too if it was that far off they are probably wearing funny.

ssippiriverrat
08-13-2011, 02:11 AM
this is ugly

ssippiriverrat
08-14-2011, 06:04 PM
checked out the tranny, she seemed fine except that when it was in neutral and completely out of gear it was rotating...how normal is this? I put it into gear and it looked good, put in in reverse and it looked good--but when in neutral I had a solid forward rotation

Anyone know what could be causing this?

woobiedmd
08-14-2011, 06:15 PM
It is OK to have some rotation when in neutral. You'll know better once you have a new propshaft/strut going. Search you-tube under Mastercraft and you can see boats running on land and the prop slowly rotating. Slow is good, if it rotates big time, you have another problem.