PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been to Scotland?

shepherd
08-10-2011, 02:25 PM
We're heading over there next month. Wondering if anybody has any suggestions on what to do and good places to stay. I do plan to drink some Scotch and visit one or two places where it is made. :)
Flying into Glasgow.

casx2
08-10-2011, 02:46 PM
I went last May with a buddy on a golf vacation. One of the greatest trips I have taken. Flew into Edinburgh and spent the day checking out the City. Spent 4 days in St. Andrews, 3 days in Stonehaven and 3 days in Boat of Garten in the Highlands. Visited the Glenlivit distillery and had some Scotch, still do not have a taste for it, Dunnottar Castle is near Stonehaven and pretty cool, St. Andrews is a must. Are you golfing? If you have any other questions, PM me and I can give you the B&B's we stayed in and the pub's we hit. The Ship Inn in Stonehaven was our favorite.

Monteluna
08-10-2011, 03:14 PM
We went two years ago in late September. We were there for about 10 days. Best trip ever. Can't wait to go back. We started in Edinburgh, then spent a few days exploring around the Glencoe mountain region (spectacular) and the western coastal area, drove north along Loc Ness stopping along the way to Inverness. We bumped around the northern Speyside region before heading back to Edinburgh for the trip home. I took tons of pictures. Feel free to take a look here:

http://shoe.smugmug.com/Vacation/Scotland-and-Ireland-200/9868398_Yu3aY

Best advice I can give you is to try and mix with the locals. Eat in the small local pubs. Try their favorite whiskies. Buy them a few, and they will return the favor. Try the local Ales as well. Scottish Ale is fantastic. Malty and flavorful.

shepherd
08-11-2011, 10:03 AM
We're flying into Glasgow and only have 6 days/5 nights, so we'll probably stay in the Glasgow area and points west or north. We may make it over to Edinburgh or Stirling for a day since I understand it's not that far. Unfortunately, we don't play golf but if we did St. Andrews would be on the itinerary.

Thanks a lot for the input. I was a little worried that it would be boring, but you guys make it sound great. Looking forward to it!

corey
08-11-2011, 10:03 AM
I think you'll have a hard time not having a BLAST in Scotland, my wife (then girlfriend) spent about 10 days there staying in hostels. We ended up in Stirling, Edinburgh, Inverness, and Oban around Kyle. We did a ton of hiking which turns out to be thirsty work, good thing there are a lot of pubs in Scotland!!!

We used the Let's Go UK book to get around, it's not the bible but it can really help you plan out your trip.

DemolitionMan
08-11-2011, 12:09 PM
My dad went last year. He loved the golf, hated the food.

shepherd
08-25-2011, 01:01 PM
We went two years ago in late September. We were there for about 10 days. Best trip ever. Can't wait to go back. We started in Edinburgh, then spent a few days exploring around the Glencoe mountain region (spectacular) and the western coastal area, drove north along Loc Ness stopping along the way to Inverness. We bumped around the northern Speyside region before heading back to Edinburgh for the trip home. I took tons of pictures. Feel free to take a look here:

http://shoe.smugmug.com/Vacation/Scotland-and-Ireland-200/9868398_Yu3aY

Best advice I can give you is to try and mix with the locals. Eat in the small local pubs. Try their favorite whiskies. Buy them a few, and they will return the favor. Try the local Ales as well. Scottish Ale is fantastic. Malty and flavorful.

I sent you a PM Monteluna. Thanks again.

tommcat
08-25-2011, 03:04 PM
are you wearing your kilt while you're there?

shepherd
08-25-2011, 03:35 PM
No kilt, but I may have to wear speedos in the pool.

tommcat
08-25-2011, 03:52 PM
i think the kilt would be the better choice shep

DemolitionMan
08-25-2011, 03:59 PM
i think the kilt would be the better choice shep

Something like this.

tommcat
08-25-2011, 04:05 PM
i think that one is a wee short.

i wore one for my wedding and wear it to the scottish games every year, chicks dig 'em for some reason.

shepherd
08-25-2011, 04:06 PM
LOL. Mini-kilt. If I drink enough whisky, someone may be able to talk me into it. I'm an easy drunk. :rolleyes:

shepherd
08-25-2011, 06:32 PM
i think that one is a wee short.

i wore one for my wedding and wear it to the scottish games every year, chicks dig 'em for some reason.

Chicks seem to like gay men too. Just sayin...! :D
I guess I'd get my *** kicked in Scotland for saying that. Don't tell anyone. :(

99xstar
08-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Just got back from Scotland in July. Took my daughter there for her graduation present. Started in Edinburgh and took a Highland Experience tour through the highlands, including Glen Coe, Lochness, Isle of Skye (my favorite). Had beautiful weather the whole trip. Most tourist places close by 5pm so hit those early in the day. The pubs will always be open later.

99xstar
08-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Isle of Skye.....