PDA

View Full Version : Ballasts switches are backwards!?

trunderw
08-09-2011, 09:53 PM
I had my boat worked on last year under warranty by a dealership. They had to do some work on the driver's side panel. I thought for months that my ballasts were broken due to improper winterization (so another dealership said). It turns out that they're actually wired backwards and crossed...that requires explanation:
When I "empty" the port side, it "fills" the starboard side; likewise for the other side. How the hell did they manage to do that. Also, my KGB doesn't work. I'm hoping that like the other crazy configuration, it's just not hooked up right after changing part of the panel...is that possible? and how could I tell?
2008 X14
Thanks

73blue
08-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Sounds like they unplugged the pumps when working on them and plugged them up wrong. The port is probably mounted upside down, which is why turning on fill empties it. Identify the pumps and switch plugs.

SWeaver
08-10-2011, 08:04 AM
this link should give you some good info on the correct switch wiring.

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=7670&highlight=ballast%2Bsystems

CantRepeat
08-10-2011, 08:56 AM
this link should give you some good info on the correct switch wiring.

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=7670&highlight=ballast%2Bsystems

Take a look at the first post in this thread (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40934). It has the wiring for the factory switch and pumps from an 06.

Jerseydave
08-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Similar problem on my '05 X-star when it was new.

The KGB switch operated the port pump and vise-versa. I just switched how the pumps were plugged into the harness at the pump location @ back of boat.

Get out your test light and check power @ the pumps.

trunderw
08-10-2011, 08:58 PM
the harnesses appear to be molded to only go one way. i was even considering swapping the hose inlet with the outlet but i really just want a dealer to drive the 5 hours to my house and fix it--like i had to do to get them to break it to begin with. but i know that will never happen

73blue
08-10-2011, 09:26 PM
My bad, totally missed the OP about the panel removal.Listen to TallRedRider

TallRedRider
08-11-2011, 03:12 PM
It sounds like they reversed the wires at the panel. All that you should have to do is take the wires that are on the wrong switch and put them to the right switch. They are simple blade type attachments with a male and female. I am sure they disconnected them all to remove the panel and then just randomly put them back. Geniuses. Don't do what was said above and go messing with the pumps, when it is obvious that something they did messed it up. Go to the panel, there are a couple of screws to undo, and the ballast switch panel can be removed so you can get to the wires.

Like Can't repeat said, the problem is at your switches because they removed the wires from the ballast switches when they messed with that panel.

trunderw
05-10-2014, 12:00 AM
doing some housekeeping and neglected to reply to this, but TallRedRider's suggestion was in fact the solution. Thanks again!