PDA

View Full Version : '03 Prostar 197 Stereo Upgrade - recommendations?

shepherd
08-08-2011, 02:52 PM
My boat has the stock Clarion CD player/stereo with driver remote. I want to replace it with a new system that I can play my iPod through. Any recommendations? Is there anything that can use the same remote, or at least the same remote panel?

I also plan to replace my worn out/damaged old Polk 455M 5 1/4" comonent speaker systems with four new sets of Polk 6 1/2" db6501 speaker systems. They will be powered by the original JL Audio 4300M 4-channel amp (hopefully). I also have a sub powered by a separate 2-channel amp - I hope to keep both.

Bottom line: I want to replace my head unit and speakers, but keep the existing two amps and the sub.

Thanks!

DemolitionMan
08-08-2011, 02:57 PM
My boat has the stock Clarion CD player/stereo with driver remote. I want to replace it with a new system that I can play my iPod through. Any recommendations? Is there anything that can use the same remote, or at least the same remote panel?

I also plan to replace my worn out/damaged old Polk 455M 5 1/4" comonent speaker systems with four new sets of Polk 6 1/2" db6501 speaker systems. They will be powered by the original JL Audio 4300M 4-channel amp (hopefully). I also have a sub powered by a separate 2-channel amp - I hope to keep both.

Bottom line: I want to replace my head unit and speakers, but keep the existing two amps and the sub.

Thanks!

I thought that boat had the nice Momo's in it?

Fast50dad
08-08-2011, 03:15 PM
I use the cigarette lighter that plugs into my iPad. Down side is that the music is a little muffled by the connection. 03Prostar 209

jamisonsbrodie
08-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Definately get a head unit that is Pandora ready. That way you can plug your phone into it and stream Pandora through it. If you havent used Pandora, you need to try it. It is available with Iphone, Blackberry, Droid, and others and is the greatest for music.

FWIW, I recommend Alpine head units.

CantRepeat
08-08-2011, 04:11 PM
If you don't mind changing out the headunit, Apline has some nice marine units. I just wish they would add wired remotes to the line up.

G-Star
08-08-2011, 04:22 PM
I've been considering an upgrade to an Alpine headunit and remotes on my '02. What's wrong with the wireless Alpine units?

I've got 2 clarion remotes now - driver and transom.

shepherd
08-08-2011, 04:31 PM
I thought that boat had the nice Momo's in it?

It has the Momos. They just aren't that nice anymore. Two of them are broken/ripped. The others are showing signs of age and corrosion.

CantRepeat
08-08-2011, 08:01 PM
I've been considering an upgrade to an Alpine headunit and remotes on my '02. What's wrong with the wireless Alpine units?

I've got 2 clarion remotes now - driver and transom.

Nothing really wrong with them. They are RF and do have some delay in the function. You get used to it but I'd change them out for wired if Alpine made them. ;)

robin
08-15-2011, 02:56 AM
i highly recommend the alpine ida-x100m. from all the head units i checked, it has by far the best ipod controls; super easy, super fast. it even displays the song artwork if u have it attached. i use it with my ipon and sirius radio. the only down fall is that it does not have a cd player.

gusolah
08-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Kenwood KMR-700U AM/FM/MP3 Sirius Satellite Ready, USB iPod Controller Waterproof Marine Stereo
Installed this the other weekend and love it...your iphone/ipod stores inside the unit and even takes a flash drive. Who uses cd's anymore??? Check it out on crutchfield or rocktheboat audio. We ordered from rock the boat and they got it to us quickly
Gus

shepherd
08-17-2011, 03:34 PM
i highly recommend the alpine ida-x100m. from

Kenwood KMR-700U AM/FM/MP3 Sirius Satellite Ready, USB iPod Controller Waterproof Marine Stereo

Do you have remotes for these units or do you have to operate it from the unit?
Thanks for the recommendations. I don't need a CD player if I can hook up my iPod and get FM radio.

robin
08-18-2011, 08:38 PM
with the alpine, you can get 2 different kinds of remotes;

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m14_i1219_alpine-marine-remote-controls.html

the mc10 is an installed, wired unit with display, for mounting on the transom, in the rear etc.

the rue-m1rf is a lanyard remote. it is rf, not ir, so it doesnt need direct line of sight to the source. it is waterproof and is nice to have when you are at a sandbar walking around....it claims 100 feet range, but 50 is more realistic.

gusolah
08-18-2011, 09:28 PM
we did not install a remote but it is available...beleive you can add up to 3 remotes
Gus

shepherd
08-19-2011, 08:53 AM
with the alpine, you can get 2 different kinds of remotes;

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m14_i1219_alpine-marine-remote-controls.html

the mc10 is an installed, wired unit with display, for mounting on the transom, in the rear etc.

the rue-m1rf is a lanyard remote. it is rf, not ir, so it doesnt need direct line of sight to the source. it is waterproof and is nice to have when you are at a sandbar walking around....it claims 100 feet range, but 50 is more realistic.

Hmmm... I read the one review of the mc10 remote on the sonic site. Have you gotten yours wet yet? :confused:

More importantly, will it fit in the same hole as my existing Clarion remote? The remote is 2.5" diameter.

CantRepeat
08-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Hmmm... I read the one review of the mc10 remote on the sonic site. Have you gotten yours wet yet? :confused:

More importantly, will it fit in the same hole as my existing Clarion remote? The remote is 2.5" diameter.

The MC10 wont fit, but the MC20 will. It has a smaller body on the back.

shepherd
08-19-2011, 09:35 AM
The MC10 wont fit, but the MC20 will. It has a smaller body on the back.

Thanks CR. I just tried finding some specs for these remotes but couldn't find sizes. I'll double check with Alpine or the retailer before I buy one.

wrobins1
08-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Check these out, I think this is what I am going with when I get everything else done.

http://www.fusionelectronics.com/marine/products/stereo-units

robin
08-19-2011, 08:13 PM
i dont have the mc10 yet, but i have the handheld rue-m1rf. it is waterproof. i keep mine on a neck lanyard when out of the boat on sandbars........gets wet ALOT...decent range, no problems.

CantRepeat
08-19-2011, 09:55 PM
i dont have the mc10 yet, but i have the handheld rue-m1rf. it is waterproof. i keep mine on a neck lanyard when out of the boat on sandbars........gets wet ALOT...decent range, no problems.

I had one of the RUEs on my life jacket while surfing... it didn't do to good. I took it apart and let it dry out. I'm thinking some grease aroudn the rubber seal might help.

I installed the MC10 in my 92 and the MC20 in my 06.

The MC10 has a larger back end then the MC20. The MC20 fit into the location of the 06 remote but I know the MC10 would not have.

If you find a local retailer that has both in stock, they are in bubble pack and your can see the backend of them for size.

JohnE
08-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Just sell me that 35th and get it over with.:D

CantRepeat
08-19-2011, 10:48 PM

I might like were this is heading... :D

shepherd
08-19-2011, 11:33 PM

Make me an offer. I could use a new boat. I hear the SN 200 is a fine boat. ;)