PDA

View Full Version : Keep and rebuild velvet drive 1:1 or replace with powerslot (1:52)?

ffejrednats
08-07-2011, 08:32 PM
1985 stars and stripes 10-17-00 (1:1) velvet drive tranny gave out trying to pull a 275 pound barefooter :confused:. Felt a subtle bind in the throttle after second attempt, then pulled him out of the hole and at about 35mph engine reved, boat slowed and prop was obviously not spinning. I stopped and then put back in gear and barely moved forward with increased power, new transmission fluid this year is now grey and cloudy.

I am assuming I need full replacement or rebuild, but was wondering if now is the time to consider the advantages/disadvantages/ complications, etc in installing a power slot or 1:52?

Any opinions?

FrankSchwab
08-07-2011, 09:10 PM
I'd guess not worthwhile - you'd probably need to replace the propshaft, prop, strut, perhaps the shaft log. I know that for some years, the 1.52:1 boats had a depression in the bottom of the boat to keep the larger diameter prop from striking the bottom of the boat but I don't know if that applies to yours.

Cloaked
08-07-2011, 09:45 PM
1985 stars and stripes 10-17-00 (1:1) velvet drive tranny ............
Any opinions?Either rebuild or replace the 1:1 with like-for-like. The 1.52:1 will not do you much good with the existing 240 HP engine. The slot ultimately provides synergistic performance with HP (285), prop, larger shaft, etc....

ffejrednats
08-08-2011, 08:09 AM
thanks Frank and Cloaked - I'll stick with what I have.

I'll now turn attention to rebuild or new.

Cheers

woodrowskis
08-08-2011, 12:15 PM
I am surpirsed to see the answer about the 240 hp and power slot.
I had an 86 with Power slot the performed really well. In fact all the good slalom skiers in the area said not to get it without. I had two other friends without out and my boat out performed there both out of the whole and holding slalom speed. Granted my boat was lighter but it beat the 1991 or so boats that came out with the 285 hp. Me and two of the 285s raced. I beat them out the whole and our top speeds were equal so I kept the same distance I gained initially til they conceded. I will say the wake for barefooting is a little more turbulent inside the wake with the slot and you need the long rope. probably doing that anyway. I would recomend going for the change but you would need to check out the indention someone mentioned. But I have never heard of that and had afriend with an 85 without the power slot and we did not notice a difference in that area of the hull.

tph
08-08-2011, 12:28 PM
I am surpirsed to see the answer about the 240 hp and power slot.
I had an 86 with Power slot the performed really well. In fact all the good slalom skiers in the area said not to get it without. I had two other friends without out and my boat out performed there both out of the whole and holding slalom speed. Granted my boat was lighter but it beat the 1991 or so boats that came out with the 285 hp. Me and two of the 285s raced. I beat them out the whole and our top speeds were equal so I kept the same distance I gained initially til they conceded. I will say the wake for barefooting is a little more turbulent inside the wake with the slot and you need the long rope. probably doing that anyway. I would recomend going for the change but you would need to check out the indention someone mentioned. But I have never heard of that and had afriend with an 85 without the power slot and we did not notice a difference in that area of the hull.

I have an '83 with the Slot and a higher HP '89 with 1:1. The '83 has much more low end pull and acceleration. But, the wake is a bit more turbulent as mentioned above.

ted shred
08-08-2011, 12:43 PM
The powerslot will work fine with a 240hp motor.

callaway_1
08-09-2011, 09:02 AM
The powerslot will work fine with a 240hp motor.

This is correct.