PDA

View Full Version : Fish aquarium hobby.

Kyle
08-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Does anyone else have an aquarium salt or fresh???

Kyle
08-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Btw I just finished a water change in mine and thought I'd post up and see if there are any others out there playing fish.

JMann
08-06-2011, 02:19 PM
i don't have one anymore but hope to get another going some day. Post a couple pictures of yours.

ski/hunt
08-06-2011, 03:54 PM
I had an Oscar that lived over 8 years got bigger than my whole hand and was smaller than a dime when I got him.

03geetee
08-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Kyle,

Been into it forever, always loved fish. Just about to upgrade my setup to a 54 gallon corner tank in about a month for my bday gift. New pics to come...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/Fish1004.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/Fish018.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/Fish008.jpg
(This is Master the other one his mate is named craft.)

JTR

DooSPX
08-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Finally nice to see someone else into the aqua hobby. I currently have 3 tanks running. I have a 20G Long Corydoras tank, 135G Goldfish only tank (largest one is 10 inches right now) and a 65G with Native Sunfish from my home town.

I used to have 6 tanks at one time!

I will post of pictures later!

Anyone else, show your tanks. :D

DooSPX
08-06-2011, 04:45 PM
(This is Master the other one his mate is named craft.)

JTR

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Dylan
08-06-2011, 07:42 PM
I've had a few reef tanks over the years, and am contemplating another one. Here are a few quick pics on my phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ShawnE
08-06-2011, 08:53 PM
We have 3 tanks. African Cichilds. Very smart fish. Breeding the yellow labs, they are mouth brooders. We also have some crappies, they are very aggressive. I am amazed at how big their mouths open when they attack a minnow.

JimN
08-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Had one when I was a kid. The Oscar used to nip hamburger out of our fingers and the cat used to scoop the hatchet fish out with its paw when they got too close to the surface.

Kyle
08-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Ok here are pics of mine... Its a 110 gallon DAS tank salt water of course. There are a lot of moon lights.

Kyle
08-06-2011, 09:20 PM
All of my fish are called fish accept the black striped one and her anemone. Shes called Mama Nemo. I did not name her. My buddy had to get rid of his tank and she needed a home. His two sons named her and she now lives happy in my tank.

03geetee
08-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Sick!

JTR

bbymgr
08-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Ok here are pics of mine... Its a 110 gallon DAS tank salt water of course. There are a lot of moon lights.

You got some nice macro algae on that live rock.

Kyle
08-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Thanks guys. I have been playing aquariums for 5 years. It's so expensive that I've had to collect things over the years.

Right now I'm having to do 1/3 water changes every week. My nitrates spiked and I've got some green algae growing. It's about 30 gallons every week. It's not bad though because I have a reverse osmosis system making water and I fill up (10) 5 gallon jugs and make 50 gallons of fresh water r/o to have ready at all times. I put 30 gallons in a trash can on wheels and mix in salt until my refractometer reading for the salinity is perfect. Then I use another trash can and pump water into the empty and then pump the new salt water into the tank.

The fans on top next to my lights cause high evaporation. I burn 3 gallons a day and have to add fresh r/o every day. Going out of town means grainy a friend to take care of it.

bbymgr
08-07-2011, 08:58 AM
From the picture, it looks like most of your green algae is down low and out of the direct light. Any chance of rearranging your live rock to move those pieces up?

Kyle
08-07-2011, 10:27 AM
From the picture, it looks like most of your green algae is down low and out of the direct light. Any chance of rearranging your live rock to move those pieces up?

The pics are about a month old.

The anemone and some frogspon died 2 weeks ago and I was not home for 2 days. The water crashed and my nitrates are through the roof right now. The green algae is everywhere at the moment. This is the 2nd week in and they are still high and my skimmer is working overtime. I'm going to break down and buy a clean up crew and leave the lights off 1/2 as much as I currently leave them on. Changing the water is helping but it needs to get better faster.

I'm also going to have my fresh R/O water tested. If my filters on my system need to be replaced then I'm wasting time all together and pumping in a high nitrate level anyway.

I can't add any fish or anemones right now. They may not make it.

Kyle
08-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Bbymgr it's also hard to move the rock because I have big pieces and 225+ lbs of rock in this tank. I have crammed 5# in a 2# sack.

damaged442
08-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Right now I just have a 55 gal setup with African Cichlids. I always thought about going salt, but Cichlids are so much easier to maintain. They can handle variations in water chemistry quite well.

Kyle
08-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Right now I just have a 55 gal setup with African Cichlids. I always thought about going salt, but Cichlids are so much easier to maintain. They can handle variations in water chemistry quite well.

They are pretty fish. I had a 55 gallon cichlid tank and converted to salt and never looked back. I tried to use the same kind of filtration but they are two different animals. A protein skimmer is a must.

Salt = $$$$$$
fresh =$$

If u know what I mean.

DooSPX
08-08-2011, 10:51 AM
I am perfectly happy with my FW tanks. But, looks great Kyle, hope you get your Nitrates down soon.

leymoh
09-04-2011, 09:56 PM
I have a fresh aquarium sitting in my backyard but I would really like to have one of those big cylindrical aquariums at the center of my house receiving area. Talk about emulating one of those houses shown in mtv cribs.

I would like to have at least one shark in there, though small. I heard that maintaining one of those really costs a fortune so that would need big considerations should I decide to get one.

kstumpenhorst
09-04-2011, 10:53 PM
While in college I was an RA ( resident assistant in charge of a freshmen dorm) and I had two tanks in my room. One for goldfish and one 55 gallon that had 3 piranhas. They got to be about as big as my hand. My now wife hated them but I would get all the guys together about once a month and drop in a dozen goldfish and it was pretty cool to watch them do their thing. Maybe I can find some pictures somewhere. Man they had some razor sharp teeth on them too.

bjames
09-04-2011, 11:28 PM
I had a 240G reef as a room divider in my last house that contained 200lbs LR, mostly soft corals, (leathers, toadstool, gargonian, colt, kenya trees ect). I designed the tank so that all the filtration was located in the basement below. I will have to post pics when Im on my other computer. Currently my wife and I are in the process of setting up a new reef in our current home. The tank is a 90Gal Cube (30"X30"X24"H). Just waiting for Ecoxotics to release their new reef LED lighting system. This new system is supposed to be fully programmable, dimming to simulate sunrise and sun set and even cloud cover and lightning storms. This new system will be somewhat of a berlin type system (skimmer, sump, LR, refugium, wave maker and good lighting):D

03geetee
09-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Just got an 54 Aqueon Corner tank for my birthday so its time to swap things over this week!

Pics soon.

JTR