PDA

View Full Version : $140 for a starter rebuild?

1redTA
08-04-2011, 06:01 PM
so I call an alt/ starter rebuild shop in Mobile AL and he quotes me $140.00 for a rebuild. I was like wow!, to his credit he did say everything would be rebuilt and cleaned. I didn't bother to tell him a new one was 160ish brand new with gear reduction from ARCO, which is down the street from my work.

I just didn't think a rebuild would be as much as a new one.

GT500 MC
08-04-2011, 06:06 PM
so I call an alt/ starter rebuild shop in Mobile AL and he quotes me $140.00 for a rebuild. I was like wow!, to his credit he did say everything would be rebuilt and cleaned. I didn't bother to tell him a new one was 160ish brand new with gear reduction from ARCO, which is down the street from my work.

I just didn't think a rebuild would be as much as a new one.

It's not, sounds like it's approx. $20 cheaper....jk....I just got quoted $125 for a rebuild so that sounds in the ballpark. I didn't even price new.

tph
08-04-2011, 06:33 PM
It's not, sounds like it's approx. $20 cheaper....jk....I just got quoted $125 for a rebuild so that sounds in the ballpark. I didn't even price new.

I just paid $118 here. But if you order make sure to get the correct rotation (Right I think)

http://www.marinepartssource.com/partdetails.asp?pnumber=AR70201&cat=30&catname=Inboard%20and%20I/O%20Engine%20Parts&sub1=6&sub2=1&sub3=0&subcategory=PCM%20Pleasurecraft%20Marine&subcategory2=Starters&subcategory3=&mfgno=70201

oldairboater
08-04-2011, 11:36 PM
I paid less then $100.00 to get mine rebuilt. We have a local shop that does good work at a very reasonable price on alternators, starters, and generators.

milkmania
08-05-2011, 12:29 AM
I paid less then $100.00 to get mine rebuilt. We have a local shop that does good work at a very reasonable price on alternators, starters, and generators.

just spent $49.16 to rebuild mine on 8-1-2011

1redTA
08-05-2011, 07:19 AM
I was thinking in the $40-80 range would be a fair price. A rebuild, in my mind, should cost around half of a new starter not 80%

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-05-2011, 08:19 AM
I was thinking in the $40-80 range would be a fair price. A rebuild, in my mind, should cost around half of a new starter not 80%

Well maybe he has seen new starters for 280, thus using your 50% logic his price is good, :D

Table Rocker
08-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Starter rebuild prices depend on what they replace during the rebuild. Brushes and bearings only should be less than $50. If you replace the field coils and electronics you are going to be $100+. If you have an old starter and the field coils are shorting to the case, you probably won't be too happy with a brushes and bearings rebuild.

Having a starter/alternator totally rebuilt by my local guy costs about the same as buying a rebuilt unit at the part store, but I know all the parts have been replaced - not just the bearings and brushes - and it was done locally by a business owner instead of outside our borders by some corporation.

oldairboater
08-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Exactly, plus I get to use better bearings. Makes a difference. A lot of people don't realize that rebuilt starters, alternators, and generators from parts houses aren't that good. I have actually seen engines ruined over bad alternators taking out belts and the people driving the boats not watching their gauges.Starter rebuild prices depend on what they replace during the rebuild. Brushes and bearings only should be less than $50. If you replace the field coils and electronics you are going to be $100+. If you have an old starter and the field coils are shorting to the case, you probably won't be too happy with a brushes and bearings rebuild.

Having a starter/alternator totally rebuilt by my local guy costs about the same as buying a rebuilt unit at the part store, but I know all the parts have been replaced - not just the bearings and brushes - and it was done locally by a business owner instead of outside our borders by some corporation.

JimN
08-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Why should a rebuild cost half of a new one? It has to be disassembled, cleaned, prepped, painted, assembled and tested. A new one is just assembled from a bunch of parts that may have been purchased as a kit from a supplier that probably buys them from an importer.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Why should a rebuild cost half of a new one? It has to be disassembled, cleaned, prepped, painted, assembled and tested. A new one is just assembled from a bunch of parts that may have been purchased as a kit from a supplier that probably buys them from an importer.

Which takes us right back to you get what you pay for if you shop carefully and are well informed.

Dino Don
08-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Which takes us right back to you get what you pay for if you shop carefully and are well informed.

I use a man I've known for many years and can trust what he says and does. I have never paid those kind of prices but goes back to know who you are dealing with--be informed. :D

1redTA
08-05-2011, 04:35 PM
I'll just get an ARCO and keep the working original on the shelf next to the original alt. Thanks guys

ted shred
08-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Make sure you are comparing new marine starters and not auto starters. marine starters are sealed to prevent causing fires/explosion in the presence of fuel vapors.

americanskierJim
08-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Hey Red I rebuilt mine my self. If you where closer I would have you ship yours to me and I would fix it so you can keep it orignal. But good luck with your find.

1redTA
08-08-2011, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=americanskierJim;779219]Hey Red I rebuilt mine my self. If you where closer I would have you ship yours to me and I would fix it so you can keep it orignal. But good luck with your find.[/QUOTE

Thanks! that is a nice offer be careful, "if it fits it ships"

americanskierJim
08-08-2011, 08:44 PM
LOL, No problem at all. I didnt have any problems with getting mine to work after setting for 18 years or so. I cleaned it all up and repainted it and is still working strong.

03geetee
08-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Original is cool until you see how fast that Arco spins that 351 everytime. Trust me your original starter will become your new anchor.

JTR

Starshack
08-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Agree 100% - just replaced my original which was rebuilt last year with an Arco from Ski DIM - what a difference! - just have to touch the key to start. My rebuild job was bad I think.

1redTA
08-10-2011, 08:20 PM
stopped by ARCO today and got the starter, while we were there I asked them to bench test the old starter to make sure we had the direction correct and was informed that starter was an automotive starter. I am glad I didn't have it rebuilt now!

1redTA
08-11-2011, 02:13 PM
holy crap it spins over FAST!!

03geetee
08-11-2011, 11:58 PM
holy crap it spins over FAST!!

LOL! Told ya! How is your new anchor?

JTR