PDA

View Full Version : Help w/my refridgerator

Storm861triple
07-29-2005, 02:12 AM
I have in my house a (I would guess) mid '80's fridge. It's a Whirlpool, side by side style, and it has an ice maker and a water dispenser in the freezer door on the left, and a digital display on the fridge door on the right. The digital display beeps when a door is left open, the temp inside the fridge gets too high, etc. shows you where the issue is w/a digital picture, and there are 4 buttons on the bottom of the display to control various things. None of which I really know what they do or how to use them.

The problems w/ the fridge are as follows:
*Ice builds up in the bottom of the freezer. It gets so thick that eventually you can't open the bottom drawer.
*It randomly "beeps" and shows a picture of a thermometer w/an arrow pointed at the top of the thermometer (presumably indicating that it's too hot inside the fridge?), yet it feels cold in there, adn food is fine.
*It randomly "Beeps" and the display shows a pic of the fridge, w/an arrow pointing at the bottom of the fridge.
*If you don't use the water dispenser for a week or so, it takes 10 seconds or more for water to get to the nozzle when you jam a cup in there. Where does all the water in the feed line disappear to?

Any one have any insight on any of this?

Or where I could find online PDF of directions for this pile? There is a tag w/a "model" on it, which is ED26SSXRNRO. I did a Google search and found nothing. Any help w/this thing would be appreciated! Thanks

-Tom

milkmania
07-29-2005, 04:40 AM
this may help to get you started:confused:

We found 1 closest matching models for "ED26SSXRNRO".

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=254462

just grasping for straws here.... but are you getting a clear view of the lettering on the label?
ED26SSXRWR0 & ED26SSXRNRO could be easily mistaken if the label is worn, or your standing on your head looking behind the fridge;)

here's the google search for the other one....ED26SSXRWR0
http://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=ED26SSXRWR0

gene dobies
07-29-2005, 05:20 AM
go to team whirlpool owners.com

mgurley
07-29-2005, 06:37 AM
Sounds like the fridge could be low on refrigerant or the condenser coils are dirty. Try cleaning the condenser coils they will either be located on the bottom or the back of the fridge.

captkidd
07-29-2005, 09:49 AM
You definitely don't want to ask me. I tried to chip away the ice on the freezer of the compact refrigerator at our office and managed to bust the coil inside the freezer (used a hammer and screwdriver :eek: ). Not very much fun to have freon spray past your ear, especially when everyone in the office finds out about it.

east tx skier
07-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Well, Thomas, it may make you feel a little better that the freezing ice dispenser is not something many fridge producing companies have managed to solve over the last 20 years. My GE purchased in 01 is horrible about that.

JimN
07-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Check the door seals for leaks. If they leak badly enough, you'll have air circulating through the freezer and then it looks like the ice cream case at the grocery store after some nimrod leaves it open for too long.

Otherwise, if you or anyone else has no recollection of the condenser being cleaned, do that.

east tx skier
07-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Thanks, Jim. To clarify, I'm not getting ice everywhere per se. But the ice in the ice maker is all sticking together and to the sides of the container to the point that the coil that dispenses it locks up. I also get some ice forming that tends to clog up the dispenser where it connects to the container (top side).

Should I just replace the seal? I've heard of some people just putting a layer of vaseline on there, but that strikes me as a bit gross. I get the occassional puddle of water on the floor, so I'd bet it's the seal.

What all is involved in cleaning the condensor? A phone call to sears?

JimN
07-29-2005, 10:46 AM
There should be an appliance repair place nearby. They can get just about any part you want. We have a place here in Milw that carries parts for all kinds of oddball stuff. Most, they don't even need to order. They just have to find them.

Ron Grover
07-29-2005, 10:59 AM
A few suggestions to try.

Ice building up in the bottom of freezer:
There should be a drain in the bottom someplace for the water to go when the auto defrost is on. The auto defrost is actually heaters that keep frost from building up. Check to make sure the drain is open. It usually drains to a pan located under the refrigerator. If you haven't cleaned under the refrigerator with a vacumm it very well could be plugged and the water cannot drain in the pan to evaporate. That causes the water pooling in the bottom and ice build up. Preventive maintenance is take off the front and the back panels evry so often and clean the dust clinging to the condenser coils, fan and tray.

For removing the ice buildup a towel and blow dryer works wonders with damage to refrigerator or to ones self using sharp objects.

milkmania
07-29-2005, 01:53 PM

There should be a drain in the bottom someplace for the water to go when the auto defrost is on. The auto defrost is actually heaters that keep frost from building up. Check to make sure the drain is open. It usually drains to a pan located under the refrigerator. If you haven't cleaned under the refrigerator with a vacumm it very well could be plugged and the water cannot drain in the pan to evaporate. That causes the water pooling in the bottom and ice build up. Preventive maintenance is take off the front and the back panels evry so often and clean the dust clinging to the condenser coils, fan and tray.

For removing the ice buildup a towel and blow dryer works wonders with damage to refrigerator or to ones self using sharp objects.

my refigerator's freezer did that once.... the drain hole froze up and I couldn't get to it with a blow dryer, but I did find regular table salt did wonders.

Storm861triple
07-29-2005, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the great responses everyone, and esspecially this response, as it is very thorough. I have not cleaned under the fridge at all. I popped the front grill off, and indeed, it is PACKED w/ nasty crap: Dust, lint, etc. I'm going to clean that all well, and look for that drain. I think that drain must be clogged, because the ice build up I'm talking about is like frozen water....not like that hoar that builds up over time that looks more like snow.

Thanks a bunch everyone!

Storm861triple
07-29-2005, 03:14 PM
this may help to get you started:confused:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=254462

just grasping for straws here.... but are you getting a clear view of the lettering on the label?
ED26SSXRWR0 & ED26SSXRNRO could be easily mistaken if the label is worn, or your standing on your head looking behind the fridge;)

here's the google search for the other one....ED26SSXRWR0
http://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=ED26SSXRWR0

Milkmania, thanks for doing a little checking. I double checked the number and it was correct. The info is as follows:
MODEL: ED26SSXRNRO ->or 0 I think it's "O" at the end
SERIAL: S63241196
TYPE: 25ASR86
MFD Date: 8/86 -so I was close w/my "mid '80's" guess. :)