PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Question

JDK
07-29-2005, 01:50 AM
95 PS205 with 350 TBI.
Went to start my boat today and when - I turned the key to the run position, I didn't hear the usual 3 second whirr of the fuel pump. I did hear a few clicks though. I spun the engine over about ten revs. and it didn't start.
- Turned key off, and tried to start it again. A few clicks when the key turned to the run position but....still no start.
- Turned the key off and I removed the spark arrestor. Turned the key to start, and I saw the injectors shoot about a 1/4 second shot of fuel...still no start.
- Turned the key off and I tapped the throttle body with a screwdriver handle. Turned the key to start and I saw the engine get a big shot of fuel. The engine started instantly, and ran perfectly all day.
Any ideas? (fuel pump or is there a relay on the throttle body I should be looking at?)
Thanks in advance.

JimN
07-29-2005, 08:16 AM
If you didn't hear the 2 second buzz when you turned the key on, it could be either the fuel pump relay or pump, possibly a loose plug. Look for the fuel pump relay (there are three relays in a group on the harness) and remove it. Check at the tabs for corrosion and reinsert it. Turn the key on and listen. If it buzzes, it's working, but I would also check the fuel pump relay plug for for voltage and ground on the terminals. You can do this if you have a multi-meter (preferably digital). There is a ground point on the back of the motor and the fuel pump relay is grounded there. In some cases, the nut loosens or the ring terminals corrode. Wiggle the wires and see if htis changes anything. If any wires detach from their terminal, repair them correctly.

If this is all OK, check the plug on the bottom of the fuel pump. Sometimes this vibrates and backs off to the point where the pump is intermittent.

Tapping on the injectors won't make the fuel pump work. The buzzing comes from the pump itself, only after the relay latches.

Keep us posted.

JDK
07-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks Jim.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-29-2005, 01:01 PM
This also sounds like when a pump is going out. After you started it, how long did it run? And did it run perfectly? If it starts it may stay running, but sometimes it is the initial turn on it won't do just before it goes out completely.

JDK
07-30-2005, 01:26 PM
This also sounds like when a pump is going out. After you started it, how long did it run? (approx. 3 hrs.) And did it run perfectly? (yes, and has run perfectly for 2 days since the hard start)If it starts it may stay running, but sometimes it is the initial turn on it won't do just before it goes out completely.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. My lake/cabin is in the middle of no-where, so I was covering all the bases before beginning to make arrangements to get a new pump.