PDA

View Full Version : 81 S&S paint

mikebiggers
08-03-2011, 04:11 PM
I have a 81 S&S that I am restoring. Does anyone know the original paint colors that came on that year. And also what kind of paint would be best to use. I was thinking duponts imron but I wasn't sure if that would be the best. Any advice would be great.

oxberger
08-04-2011, 01:19 PM
mike, welcome to the board! The classics are great to restore. Congrats on this one. I'm not sure of the original color of that year, but that's not paint unless a previous owner painted it. The color on the boat is gel coat. Unless you can see fiberglass, you realistically could bring back the original shine. Is it a metal flake? Post up some pictures, there are a lot of guys on here that have a ton of knowledge and can help. Where in the south are you?

mikebiggers
08-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Well I would try to buff it and bring out the shine but the front of the boat has a few bad scared up places. It is metal flake but I would just like to find a color similar to the original. I'll try to post some pictures later.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Mike, these boats are made from the outside in- just the opposite of a car. They are manufactured by spraying gelcoat into a form of the hull, then laying fiberglass and the rest of the inside of the boat. You can repair it and paint the outside. There have been others here who have done that with fine results. You might do a little looking with the search function.

americanskierJim
08-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Well I would try to buff it and bring out the shine but the front of the boat has a few bad scared up places. It is metal flake but I would just like to find a color similar to the original. I'll try to post some pictures later.

Hi Mike Welcome to TT. If I where you I would try and keep the gel you have on you'r boat. It is not to hard to regel but the orginal is the best way to go. I just did a repair on an 83 MC I had to regel it to match it turned out great. We used gel from Westmarine. They have all kinds of gel colors and flakes. Good luck if you need any help let me know. Jim

Bobwire
08-10-2011, 09:11 PM
If you repaint with Imron, you could bring your boat to the paint supply shop (finish master) or whoever sells Dupont in your area, and they can shoot it with a color camera which will give them the formula to make that color.
Or if you want to use a more durable paint, you may want to consider having it painted with Awlgrip. In which case you would need to send them a sample of the color, like a cut out from a thru hull or whatever. Or pick something off their standard color card.

03geetee
08-15-2011, 08:56 PM
I say just buff that old girl, they get all happy when you touch them!

JTR

ctjahn
08-15-2011, 09:52 PM
I say just buff that old girl, they get all happy when you touch them!

JTR

Nothing beats the orig 1970s BIG metal flake... Repaints just dont capture the charcter (No offence to others here who painted boats - they are all exceptional)

cj