PDA

View Full Version : Help! Installed new Tach but hour meter reset to 0

DeVrieski
08-03-2011, 12:40 AM
I have had a bad tach in my 2000 PS 205 for the last 50 hours or so, but the hour meter was still reading correctly. I finally broke down and order a new tach and then installed it today. The instillation was easy, but when I turned on the key, the hour meter reset to zero. Thankfully I looked at the hour meter right before I removed the gage, but I thought it would have automatically returned to the number of hours on the boat.

1. What do I do, is there some way to adjust the hour meters to read correctly or was there something I missed in the install? I would really like for the meter to read correctly.

2. Isn't the number stored somewhere in the engine computer so that when it is hooked up to a new tach it should automatically read the correct number?

Thanks for the help!

DeVrieski
08-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Also, does anyone know where I might find a manual for these gauges? Looked on there websight but they didn't have any to download.

east tx skier
08-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Simple. The hour meter should tick when the key is turned to the on position. Without starting your boat, turn your key to the on position and let the hours spool back up to where the old meter was.

DeVrieski
08-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Is this the only way to do it? If so, I will need to disconnect the loud check engine beep as it comes on when the key is turned on and 285 hours of that would drive everyone crazy.

Any ideas on disconnecting that beep?

shunra
08-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Simple. The hour meter should tick when the key is turned to the on position. Without starting your boat, turn your key to the on position and let the hours spool back up to where the old meter was.

Does this cause the engine hours stored in the ECM to count too? If so I am not sure you'd want to do this. If anyone ever read them from the ECM they would look artifically high, and still diferent from the tach. As a buyer I would tend to believe the ECM and it might hurt resale pretty bad if your ECM showed double the correct hours. You'd have an easier time telling them why the tach is artifically low than why the ECM is artifically high.

cbryan70
08-03-2011, 12:15 PM
I think the ECM only records running hours no?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-03-2011, 12:16 PM
If thats the case, then just add power to the hour meter itself and watch the hours grow, this would bypass the alarm.

DeVrieski
08-03-2011, 12:18 PM
It seems like there should be a way for the tach to be set to match the ECM. There have got to be others who have run in to this problem. I can't imagine that the hour meter always gets reset to zero. Am I thinking too optimistically?

DeVrieski
08-03-2011, 12:21 PM
If thats the case, then just add power to the hour meter itself and watch the hours grow, this would bypass the alarm.

Not sure how I woul do this as the only connection on the tach is a 5 pin plug. I don't think I want to cut into the plug wires.

jwroblew
08-03-2011, 01:54 PM
on newer MC's hours only count when above 300 RPM, I don't know what year this was put into effect. so leaving the key on may not add hours.

DeVrieski
08-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Just talked to mastercraft and they said that the actual Gage stores the hours so changing it out resets the Gage to 0. This seems like a silly design as the Gage is bound to fail at some point. Now I am checking on whether the ECM registers hours if the key is in the on position.

east tx skier
08-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Is this the only way to do it? If so, I will need to disconnect the loud check engine beep as it comes on when the key is turned on and 285 hours of that would drive everyone crazy.

Any ideas on disconnecting that beep?

You could pull the gauge and connect it to a battery to avoid the beep. Radio shack probably has a 5 pin that you could hack up.

WTRSK1R
08-03-2011, 09:12 PM
on newer MC's hours only count when above 300 RPM, I don't know what year this was put into effect. so leaving the key on may not add hours.

ICBW but I believe this is true for all boats that have the digital hour meter in the tach rather than the older "clock" hour meter that clicked and turned when the key is on. The ECM should have your actual hours, and it could be read by someone who wanted to confirm the "real" time on the motor. This is similar to cars with a digital dash. When my gas gauge quit working (analog gauge) Ford had to custom order a new dash module programmed with my actual mileage to replace the instrument cluster. Someone in the fatory actually manually loaded it with the mileage that I had when it was ordered. Took about a week to get it and another couple of weeks to get back in for installation so by the time they installed it I had almost another 1000 miles that just went away with the new gauge cluster.

ski_king
08-03-2011, 09:23 PM
I replaced the tach on mine a few years ago and hooked the tach up to a 12 volt source in my garage and ran it up to match the 545.2 hours that was on the old meter.
Just use some jumpers and figure which 2 of the 5 wire to hook up to to run the hours up.
Mine only took 22 days 17.2 hours.

DeVrieski
08-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Thanks all for the help. Bummer that it doesn't just read the hours from the ECM! I think I will have to wait till winter to hook it up to a 12 volt battery as I don't want to be out of a tach for nearly two weeks.

Interesting to read about your car. I wondered what they did on those digital displays.

Table Rocker
08-04-2011, 09:19 AM
I replaced the tach on mine a few years ago and hooked the tach up to a 12 volt source in my garage and ran it up to match the 545.2 hours that was on the old meter.
Just use some jumpers and figure which 2 of the 5 wire to hook up to to run the hours up.
Mine only took 22 days 17.2 hours.That is one you definitely don't want to forget about. Going over would not be cool.

milehigh970
08-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Just imagine how many people have bought boats they thought only had 2 or 3 hundred hours but really had 1500 :o

aaron.
08-11-2011, 08:30 AM
^lol. i was thinking the same thing....

east tx skier
08-11-2011, 11:28 AM
That can be a real worry with the Ford engines since you can't read hours from the ECM like you can on the Chevys. When I bought my boat with a fuel injected Ford and low hours, I was fortunate enough to have a lot of records from the local dealership that serviced it, which tended to verify the second owner's claim that it had been used regularly, but lightly. But even with all that, my boat that has, by the clock, 258 hours on it, could have 1,000. But more than likely, the hour meter speaks the truth and the engine actually has fewer hours than indicated.

DeVrieski
08-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Apparently on models later than my 2000 the hour meter is linked with the ECM so that when you plug the gage in it registers the number in the ECM. Sure wish this was the case for mine. As it is I have a boat which reads 6 hours when it really has 290.

Kyle
08-12-2011, 07:43 AM
I really do think that with the key on and the engine off the ECM does not calculate ECM hours. Call your dealer and ask them. If this is the case leave the tach in and let it run to 296. It should take 12 days. If you use the boat add how ever many hours it added while playing to 296.

If you really want it correct take the boat to the dealer over the winter and have them read the ECM with the scan tool. They will be able to give you the exact amount of hours not calculated when the old tach quit working.

290 hours on old tach when quit working
? 50+- hours of use with broken tach
6 hours on new tach

290 will not be correct neither will 296. Keep your receipt for the new tach also. If you ever get it scanned in the future and the numbers are way off the dealer may question you. A buyer may question you after they purchase it or trade it in. CYA. I think getting them exact is what I would do.

TxsRiverRat
08-12-2011, 10:28 AM
LMFAO - don't you mean 12 days and 8 hours Kyle?

:toast: