PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid

emnesto
08-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Experienced some slipping in the transmission last weekend. Have decided to change the fluid and make sure it is up to the right level. Mastercraft says 15W40, but I have had a hard time finding that combo. Shell Rotella has a match. Anyone used it?

Kevin 89MC
08-02-2011, 02:49 PM
I have found Pennzoil Marine 15W 40 at my local West Marine store (in Bloomington if you're near the Twin Cities), but you're right, not many other places seem to sell it. I have not used Rotella, but IMHO, oil is oil for the most part. I'd be more concerned about the correct viscosity over brand name, especially in the transmission.
Good luck,
Kevin

bigmac
08-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Experienced some slipping in the transmission last weekend. Have decided to change the fluid and make sure it is up to the right level. Mastercraft says 15W40, but I have had a hard time finding that combo. Shell Rotella has a match. Anyone used it?

Shell Rotella T comes in 15W40, as does Pennzoil, Chevron Delo, several others. The oil might be labeled as diesel oil, but that doesn't matter. If it meets the API specs, it's what you need.

The brand of the oil is totally irrelevant. Only thing that matters is the API service classification and the viscosity.

FrankSchwab
08-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Rotella and Delo are two common, high-quality 15w-40 oils that are extensively used by people on this board. Pennzoil always seems to be difficult to find, but is also used by a lot of people.

I predict that, shortly, the thread is going to be overun by the Royal Purple/Mobil 1/Amsoil crowd saying "how could you possibly use that crap in your boat".

/frank

CantRepeat
08-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Napa carries the Rotella.

76S&S
08-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Napa carries the Rotella.

and wally world:D

GoneBoatN
08-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Shell Rotella T comes in 15W40, as does Pennzoil, Chevron Delo, several others. The oil might be labeled as diesel oil, but that doesn't matter. If it meets the API specs, it's what you need.

The brand of the oil is totally irrelevant. Only thing that matters is the API service classification and the viscosity.

What Bigmac said.

I find Rotella and Delo in Wall Mart. Also Orchard Supply Hardware but I think they are a west cost chain.

emnesto
08-06-2011, 09:45 PM
The saga continues. Today I sucked out all of the old transmission oil. Pulled a little over 4 quarts putting a suction tube down the hole beneath the filter. The trouble is what I got out was very cloudy. I filled the trans with 15w20. It took almost 5 quarts to get it to the right level on the dip stick. Took a test run, and the slipping was gone.

Back to the cloudy oil I removed. My first thought is a leaky transmission cooler. I went to remove it, but it looks very well made, and even has a serial number. Before I tear it off and replace it I thought I check with the experts. I have a 5 year old LQ9 with 300 hours, always in fresh water. Is it reasonable for the transmission cooler to need replacing? Tf not, any other thoughts on what's causing the cloudy oil?

Dino Don
08-06-2011, 10:16 PM
What Bigmac said.

I find Rotella and Delo in Wall Mart. Also Orchard Supply Hardware but I think they are a west cost chain.

Sucked mine out and replaced it with Synthetic ATF and so far so good---

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-06-2011, 11:41 PM
The saga continues. Today I sucked out all of the old transmission oil. Pulled a little over 4 quarts putting a suction tube down the hole beneath the filter. The trouble is what I got out was very cloudy. I filled the trans with 15w20. It took almost 5 quarts to get it to the right level on the dip stick. Took a test run, and the slipping was gone.

Back to the cloudy oil I removed. My first thought is a leaky transmission cooler. I went to remove it, but it looks very well made, and even has a serial number. Before I tear it off and replace it I thought I check with the experts. I have a 5 year old LQ9 with 300 hours, always in fresh water. Is it reasonable for the transmission cooler to need replacing? Tf not, any other thoughts on what's causing the cloudy oil?

You need to suck out that 20 weight oil and put in 15w40 for the proper temperature protection.

emnesto
08-07-2011, 12:30 AM
So. Are you saying the cloudy oil is 20 wt, and not water contaminated?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-07-2011, 01:05 AM
So. Are you saying the cloudy oil is 20 wt, and not water contaminated?

No, you said you put 15w20 oil in your transmission, that is the wrong grade oil. 15W40 oil is the correct oil for the transmission. And coolers can go bad and leak water into the transmission oil, its the only way water gets in there besides swamping the transmission and water leaking in that way.

emnesto
08-07-2011, 02:21 AM
Finger check on the keys. I meant I added 15W40. That's what is in there now.

Engine Nut
08-07-2011, 10:05 AM
No, you said you put 15w20 oil in your transmission, that is the wrong grade oil. 15W40 oil is the correct oil for the transmission. And coolers can go bad and leak water into the transmission oil, its the only way water gets in there besides swamping the transmission and water leaking in that way.

The oil pressure generated by the transmission is significantly higher than the water pressure of the water going through the cooler. A leaking trans cooler will genrally result in trans oil leaking into the water ... not water leaking into the transmission... at least while he engine is running. The most common reason that water gets into the ZF V-dive is from water in the bilge. The lower output shaft seal sits very low in the boat. If there is water in the bilge that is up to or above the level of the seal, it can get pulled into the trnsmission ... particularly as the transmission cools down. Keeping the bilge dry will keep water out of the transmission.

emnesto
08-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks Enging Nut. There are two pair of lines into the trans cooler. I know one pair is to the transmission. What is the other pair for? I'll admit to not checking the trans fluid level regularly, and didn't know about keeping water out of the builge. I'll change the fluit in the trans a couple more times, keep the builge dry and see if there are continued signs of water in the transmission fluid. If needed, swapping the trans cooler can be a winter project.

Engine Nut
08-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks Enging Nut. There are two pair of lines into the trans cooler. I know one pair is to the transmission. What is the other pair for? I'll admit to not checking the trans fluid level regularly, and didn't know about keeping water out of the builge. I'll change the fluit in the trans a couple more times, keep the builge dry and see if there are continued signs of water in the transmission fluid. If needed, swapping the trans cooler can be a winter project.

That engine has a combination cooler. One end cools the trans oil and the other end cools the engine oil.

H2OSKEE
10-03-2011, 04:13 PM
What exactly do you need for equipment to suck the transmission oil out without getting the oil all over the inside of the boat and making a huge mess???

Bouyhead
10-03-2011, 04:47 PM
What exactly do you need for equipment to suck the transmission oil out without getting the oil all over the inside of the boat and making a huge mess???
Try this.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/PEL-PL-6000/Oil+Change+Pump+6.0+Liter+Capacity.html?utm_source =feed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google&gdftrk=gdfV22933_a_7c742_a_7c4604_a_7cPEL_d_PL_d_6 000

H2OSKEE
10-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks, I will have to get that.