PDA

View Full Version : Depth Gauge Problem

rvharris
07-31-2011, 11:29 PM
I have a 2009 X-14. Until this season I've never had a problem with the VDIG depth gauge. It still occasionally reads correctly when sitting in the water at dock (less than 8-10' deep) but when underway it jumps right to 349.5' and stays there. It always reads this same depth from then on. I've made no modifications to the electronics or hull (transponder, etc. are all in factory positions). Anyone ever run into this problem?

rvharris
08-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Still hoping for a reply from the TT knowledge bank folks! Please chime in if you've ever had a problem with the factory depth gauge similar to mine above. Driving me crazy. Many thanks!

Pdan69
08-14-2011, 10:17 PM
I have a similar problem. My depth gauge says 2.5 all the time. Does anyone know where the depth sensor is located? I would love to hear some suggestions on what the problem might be!!!!!

Kell
08-14-2011, 10:35 PM
I have a 2009 X-14. Until this season I've never had a problem with the VDIG depth gauge. It still occasionally reads correctly when sitting in the water at dock (less than 8-10' deep) but when underway it jumps right to 349.5' and stays there. It always reads this same depth from then on. I've made no modifications to the electronics or hull (transponder, etc. are all in factory positions). Anyone ever run into this problem?

I had a similar issue last summer. Took it to MC dealer, and after some trouble shooting, there was a loose wire in the connection between the airmar transducer wire and the wire harness connection in the plug itself. I don't know which wire but the mechanic wiggled each wire until he located it. Rather than fix it they just through in a new airmar transducer and it's worked since then.

---
- Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk

twt star
05-15-2012, 04:52 PM
I have same issue on an 09 x star, mine reads 949.0 ft I have had it out and when I put it back in it worked for 10 seconds then 949.0 I am going to check for wire issues next before I order a new one. It is located in floor to left of drivers feet.

Duane D
05-15-2012, 09:34 PM
I had a similar problem shortly after buying my new-to-me X2 a couple of years ago. Dealer checked things out and I had a bad transducer. They replaced and all has been well ever since.

CantRepeat
05-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Yeah, I would be money on a bad transducer for most errors in depth reading.

BigWilson
05-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Mine says "WAIT" Not sure what is going on. What are the chances I fried the trasnducer when I accidentally reversed cables when I used jumper cables to start boat... So how much is a factor transducer replacement in case i have to replace???

rvharris
06-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks folks. It was a bad transponder, and not the wiring. Really nice having it work again.

cf_koch
06-18-2012, 11:31 AM
I have a 2006 Maristar 215 and the Depth Guage simply reads "BAD". The air temp and water temp is regestering fine but the depth does not. Does anybody out there know what could be wrong? I have searched this forum but cannot find any reference to this problem.

trunderw
08-18-2012, 09:41 PM
I have an 08 X14 and have a similar problem: it sometimes registers the correct depth, and sometimes it'll just read between 2 and 3 feet. I'll start wiggling wires tomorrow to see if it fixes it.

ZachDaddy
07-03-2013, 09:12 AM
any updates on fixes other than transducer replacement. Anyone have a part number for transducer?

GoneBoatN
07-03-2013, 11:37 AM
any updates on fixes other than transducer replacement. Anyone have a part number for transducer?
Mine was also fixed via replacement under warranty by my dealer. When I was looking around I found the following:

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads/brochures/AIRMAR%20Transducer%20Guide%202009.pdf - See page 50 DST800.
http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009/about/wheretobuy.php
http://faq.airmar.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=1&id=232&artlang=en

Go to here
http://www.airmartechnology.com/marine-product-search.asp?q=dst800
Wiring diagram on right and also connector spec. Maybe you can match to what you have. My guess is just as well purchased through your local dealer.