PDA

View Full Version : HO CDX your opinions please.....

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-28-2005, 06:37 PM
I want to know everyones opinion about the HO CDX. I have read a more than a few favorable things about them and I dont seem to ever see any on ebay. that leads me to believe people hold on to them. so I am heavliy considering buying one from wiley's.
I am interested in one with Double Animals.

I would appreciate anyone posting their expereinces with this ski, good or bad as I am trying to decide if its right for me. I want to get a second ski and upgrade a bit from my Siege. I have been thinking about HO skis mostly. I have lightly considered the KDCR7 and KD7000. and several people recommended a Connelly Concept too. At this point it seems like I am leaning towards the HO CDX. I would like to get as much info as possible.

Please post away!!! :toast: :)

east tx skier
07-28-2005, 06:42 PM
As I mentioned previously, I have a CDX from Wileys with double animals. It's been a great ski for me. Not as light and fast as the new skis out there, i.e., Monza and Sixam, but plenty of ski for me---stable and forgiving. This was my first HO having skied O'Brien before that. It's a tail dragger, but I've found the transition from O'Brien to have a very easy learning curve. Great ski for the money. They turn up on ebay now and again. For the price, I'd just grab one from Wileys.

You might also consider the ASX, which is just a tad wider in the mid section and made as a crossover between a course ski and an open water ski.

Ric
07-28-2005, 06:53 PM
How bigga boy are ya?
Do you ski the course and if so, what speed?
I mentioned before that it is a very fast ski to someone who hasnt skiid the goode's or monza's or d3's for sure.
I think it's more ski than I need, but I may actually get one from wileys for grins.
It is a very fast, very light ski in relation to the asx/vengeance ski

BrianM
07-28-2005, 08:47 PM
I just put my KD 7000 (68") with double Wileys (large) for sale in the marketplace. This is an awsome ski as well and I can save you a lot of :twocents: . I put the ad for $225 but make me an offer. The ski and bindings are in nearly perfect shape (2 small scratches).

I am stepping up and would like to offset the cost of my new ride. Just pulled the trigger on a Monza with Fluidmotion Carbon 6s:banana:

07-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Ric, I am 6'1" and 190 lbs without wetsuit and PFD. I ski a 68" Siege now. I dont know if I would need a 68" or 70" CDX...?
I dont ski a course. I just free ski. I like to carve it up to the best of my ability and push myself all the time. I dont lazy ski. I typically ski at about 34 to 35 mph with my seige. I started out at 33 this spring, and sped up a bit as I got comfy with it. How would the CDX compare to the Siege??

BrianM, Thanks for the offer! :D I will consider it as I havent made my choice yet. But I am leaning towards a new CDX with double animals.

DOug, what do you mean by the CDX being a "tail dragger"....? I am not familiar with that term. Please explain.... :confused:

see this is all so subjective to personal taste. I find my Seige to be a "fast" ski, but this CDX maybe even faster....? I just know that I dont need to get into the league of Monzas, Sixams, or 9600s, those are all beyond my skill level.
Thats what attracted me to the CDX, its billed as a "crossover" ski for the intermediate skier thats progressing. Not quite a PRO level ski, but the next stepping stone to getting to those.... correct??

east tx skier
07-28-2005, 10:44 PM
When I said tail dragger, I meant it rides with a lot of tail in the water, more so than any obrien I've ridden. Didn't take long, in my case to get used to it though.

I rode my 68" CDX when I weighed 191 and I still ride it at 170.

BrianM
07-29-2005, 10:58 AM
BrianM, Thanks for the offer! :D I will consider it as I havent made my choice yet. But I am leaning towards a new CDX with double animals.

My 7000 will cost you less than half that.:D

Ric
07-29-2005, 11:01 AM
I just put my KD 7000 (68") with double Wileys (large) for sale in the marketplace. This is an awsome ski as well and I can save you a lot of :twocents: . I put the ad for $225 but make me an offer. The ski and bindings are in nearly perfect shape (2 small scratches).

I am stepping up and would like to offset the cost of my new ride. Just pulled the trigger on a Monza with Fluidmotion Carbon 6s:banana:
yaaaaa let's see some pics of that bad boy (and post how many buoys you pick up!)

Ric
07-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Ric, I am 6'1" and 190 lbs without wetsuit and PFD. I ski a 68" Siege now. I dont know if I would need a 68" or 70" CDX...?
I dont ski a course. I just free ski. I like to carve it up to the best of my ability and push myself all the time. I dont lazy ski. I typically ski at about 34 to 35 mph with my seige. I started out at 33 this spring, and sped up a bit as I got comfy with it. How would the CDX compare to the Siege??

DOug, what do you mean by the CDX being a "tail dragger"....? I am not familiar with that term. Please explain.... :confused:

see this is all so subjective to personal taste. I find my Seige to be a "fast" ski, but this CDX maybe even faster....? I just know that I dont need to get into the league of Monzas, Sixams, or 9600s, those are all beyond my skill level.
Thats what attracted me to the CDX, its billed as a "crossover" ski for the intermediate skier thats progressing. Not quite a PRO level ski, but the next stepping stone to getting to those.... correct??
I'd say 68 for you but I'd still suggest the asx/vengeance for what you're doing.
The cdx is very fast and when you tell it to turn, you'd better be ready to turn. Also, the cdx I tried tended to hunt for an edge if you were skiing flat on the ski for a few moments.

east tx skier
07-29-2005, 11:13 AM
I haven't found my cdx to be an edge hunter, but I, too, would suggest an ASX for what you're doing. My wife had one and it was a very stable ski that would do exactly what you want it to do.

BrianM
07-29-2005, 11:14 AM
yaaaaa let's see some pics of that bad boy (and post how many buoys you pick up!)

As soon as I get it in I will post pictures. It is going to be a big change going to hardshells form Wileys on a new wicked fast ski :eek3: . Hopefully it will help me pick up bouys, I need all the help I can get (at least that is how I sold my wife on the idea ;) ).

east tx skier
07-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Which boots did you get? From whom did you buy the Monza?

07-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Ric, I was considering the Vengeance, but when I talked to Wileys, they told me that the Vengeance wasnt that great of a ski and that people werent very happy with them. They said customers were trading the vengeance in for the CDX. They told me I wouldnt be happy with a Vengeance, and that the CDX is a much better ski and would be best for me. I kinda thought it was a big sales pitch to push the CDXs they have. One guy their said a 68" CDX for me, and another at wileys recommended a 70" CDX..... so I dont know. this is why I am doing so much research and asking you all your opinions. All the advice everyone here has offered to me has been great and I trust you people and your recommendations.

any more ideas in light of that??? :confused:

BrianM, thanks again man, I havent decided yet, I do appreciate the offer man. I have alot to think aobut before I make a purchase. It is very intruguing though.....

BrianM
07-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Which boots did you get? From whom did you buy the Monza?

The boots are Fluidmotion Carbon 66 Quattro
http://www.jagersport.com/doublesix.htm
Paul had a deal on a demo return 2004 model.

I bought the Monza slightly used off of Ski-it-Again.

I figured if I was going to upgrade I was going to go all out. Got the whole setup for less than 2/3 the cost of new.

BrianM
07-29-2005, 11:31 AM
BrianM, thanks again man, I havent decided yet, I do appreciate the offer man. I have alot to think aobut before I make a purchase.

Not trying to hard sell you, just given you a bit of a hard time :D

east tx skier
07-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Very good. Let us know what you think.

Just for perspective, what speed/line length are you running?

BrianM
07-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Just for perspective, what speed/line length are you running?

Currently running 36mph 28off and working on 32. Hoping that this new ski is going to help me run 32 and start working on 35.

Ric
07-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Ric, I was considering the Vengeance, but when I talked to Wileys, they told me that the Vengeance wasnt that great of a ski and that people werent very happy with them. They said customers were trading the vengeance in for the CDX. They told me I wouldnt be happy with a Vengeance, and that the CDX is a much better ski and would be best for me. I kinda thought it was a big sales pitch to push the CDXs they have. One guy their said a 68" CDX for me, and another at wileys recommended a 70" CDX..... so I dont know. this is why I am doing so much research and asking you all your opinions. All the advice everyone here has offered to me has been great and I trust you people and your recommendations.

any more ideas in light of that??? :confused:

BrianM, thanks again man, I havent decided yet, I do appreciate the offer man. I have alot to think aobut before I make a purchase. It is very intruguing though.....
Well there you have it...... I'm not picking up buoys because I'm on a bad ski! :eek:
I actually like the vengeance but I'm a 15-22off 34mph skier, and that's why I thought it would work quite nicely for you.
Let us know what you do

east tx skier
07-29-2005, 11:49 AM
UMP, my wife got off the vengeance because she wanted something a little faster. I found the ASX/Vengeance to be a very comfortable ski, but a little slower. I'm not trying to talk you out of the CDX as I've been very happy with it. But it might not be a bad idea to demo the ASX if you can. I think Wileys will let you demo their skis. Just have them send you both and return the one you don't like.

skisix@38
07-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Try a Carbonworx(www.carbonworx.com). They have the outlaw which is a very fast and light ski like the Monza and Goode, a 68.5" weighs in just over 3lbs. They also have a predator which is a more tamed version of the outlaw, a little slower and heavier but still a very nice ride. Both have a triple radius bevel design that allows the skier to turn has sharply or as wide as they want and the ski still rides back in front of you. The squared off HO bevels only allow a sharper turn which if you are skiing at 22 off or longer and not going 34 is going to force you to turn harder than you need.

I just tied for 4th in the Western Regional Championships on one and a lot of other skiers were asking question.

east tx skier
07-29-2005, 12:37 PM
Great picture, skisix. If that suggestion was for UMP, it bears mentioning that in his "O'Brien Siege" post, he notes that he is a 100 % recreational, open water skier who (if I remember correctly) just last week made his first deep water start, but who is looking to upgrade to a bit more agressive ski (he is a long time skier). I'm not familiar with the carbonworks skies, but they sound rather light and fast.

07-29-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks Skisix, Those look great, but are a bit above my skill level and out of the price range I was looking for. I am an intermediate level skier looking for a mid level price ski. $450 -$600 maximum.

07-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Yes sir Doug!! you are correct on all counts! :toast: 100% recreaational skier looking for something to upgrade to, and grow on, yet still be comfortable as a "free skier" and not be out of my league.

Good memory there Doug! :)

and yes Skisix, thats IS a an awesome picture!!

east tx skier
07-29-2005, 12:52 PM
UMP, remind me, are you on the synchro? I'm not trying to sell you on the HO skis. There are a lot of good brands out there.

Granite_33
07-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Deja vu?
I thought we had this thread about 2 weeks ago....... :D

UMP. I suggest the 68". At 190lbs and your speed, the 68" is plenty. Especially if you continue to up the boat speed gradually.

Like ETS said.....I have found my CDX to be stable going straight, but very responsive, with good acceleration. I am very happy with it. I decided to get the Wiley Wraps, and am also very happy with those bindings. Nothing too "gimmicky", they are just standard boots, but do well holding you in.

My perspective is to go with a ski that will stretch your capabilities (but won't break your bones) so that your skill level continues to improve. That said......CDX at the price that Wileys has them is a good deal.

skisix@38
07-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Carbonworx predator $659, that's not much more than your range. I eluded to this but must not have been clear enough. The bevel design of these skis is such that they are stable and forgiving for every level. I know several folks riding these skis that aren't skiing in the course and enjoy the ski immensely. One person I am teaching to run the course, he is coming from a D3 custom 4 and says that the CW turns more easily and makes it easier for him to get back and forth behind the boat.
The CW combines the forgiveness you need now to improve and have fun with the performance you'll need when you get the basics down.

07-29-2005, 01:36 PM
Isnt that $659 just for the blank alone?? THen I have to sink another $200 into bindings.....

east tx skier
07-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Carbonworx predator $659, that's not much more than your range. I eluded to this but must not have been clear enough. The bevel design of these skis is such that they are stable and forgiving for every level. I know several folks riding these skis that aren't skiing in the course and enjoy the ski immensely. One person I am teaching to run the course, he is coming from a D3 custom 4 and says that the CW turns more easily and makes it easier for him to get back and forth behind the boat.
The CW combines the forgiveness you need now to improve and have fun with the performance you'll need when you get the basics down.

Gotcha. Your initial description made it sound a little more ferocious. :)

07-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Doug,
I am on the Siege, not the Synchro. 2004 Siege 68". Which I am so far very comfortable with, but you know.....always looking for a better mousetrap man!!!

skisix@38
07-29-2005, 01:55 PM
Gotcha. Your initial description made it sound a little more ferocious. :)

Well, that's the thing Doug - It can be ferocious but doesn't have to be. When the CDX came out it was the hotest rod out there. Granted, the outlaw is designed to compete with the Goode's, Monza's and 6AM and does a good job of it, fast and light just like you said. The skier gets to choose how to ride it. I've seen the far side of the 4 ball @39 on my ski and it has plenty left after that. This is 38.....

07-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Awesome!!!!! :headbang:

jamisonsbrodie
07-29-2005, 02:43 PM
68" CDX w/ dbl animals would be a great set-up for you, especially for the price. It is very forgiving and easy to ski, and the boots are great. I got one for my brother in-law that is a recreational skier, and he has come a long way in 2 years. He went from a Mach-1 (which is probably one of easiest skis ever made) with RTP to the CD-1 w/ animals and he has become a completely different skier. You can be as aggressive as you want to be with the CDX, and you won't have to try and muscle it around.

east tx skier
07-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Well, that's the thing Doug - It can be ferocious but doesn't have to be. When the CDX came out it was the hotest rod out there. Granted, the outlaw is designed to compete with the Goode's, Monza's and 6AM and does a good job of it, fast and light just like you said. The skier gets to choose how to ride it. I've seen the far side of the 4 ball @39 on my ski and it has plenty left after that. This is 38.....

I hear ya. Like I said, I'm not really trying to talk him into the CDX. I know there are plenty of appropriate skis out there. I think when UMP first asked about stepping up to a better performing ski, he got a lot of responses from people riding CDX's from Wileys. But I'll be the first to say that someone should try to ride as many skis as they can before dropping the cash. I rode an F1, bought a mapple, rode an ASX, and sold the Mapple before Wileys rereleased the CDX and I grabbed one last year. If you can't find a good demo deal, ebaying works very well in my experience. You invest a bit more in it, but in the end, I ended up spending less than what a lot of people charge you to demo.

Very nice pic by the way (nice and early). What kind of camera?

skisix@38
07-29-2005, 04:14 PM
I hear ya. Like I said, I'm not really trying to talk him into the CDX. I know there are plenty of appropriate skis out there. I think when UMP first asked about stepping up to a better performing ski, he got a lot of responses from people riding CDX's from Wileys. But I'll be the first to say that someone should try to ride as many skis as they can before dropping the cash. I rode an F1, bought a mapple, rode an ASX, and sold the Mapple before Wileys rereleased the CDX and I grabbed one last year. If you can't find a good demo deal, ebaying works very well in my experience. You invest a bit more in it, but in the end, I ended up spending less than what a lot of people charge you to demo.

Very nice pic by the way (nice and early). What kind of camera?

Cannon 20d? something. It was my ski buddy taking the shots. It's a SLR digital cannon with a 105mm zoom and some filtering. You should see the actual pictures off the card! I had to resize and reduce the quality of the shots to get them on the board.

east tx skier
07-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Figured it was a digital SLR. My mom's got a digital rebel. I know, aren't the pictures huge!

07-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Doug, how would you compare the CDX with the Mapple?? curious how those two skis measure up to each other. (other than with a tape measure :uglyhamme :purplaugh )

Sumbeach
07-29-2005, 11:25 PM
we used to have this HO called molly that must have lived close to downton, we seen her there all the time

stevo137
07-30-2005, 12:48 AM
Editing option...

east tx skier
07-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Doug, how would you compare the CDX with the Mapple?? curious how those two skis measure up to each other. (other than with a tape measure :uglyhamme :purplaugh )

The mapple is very light and extremely fast. It's also very narrow. I've never popped out of the water like I did on the mapple. At first, I loved it. But I could never get it to settle down. It really edge-hunted on me. I always felt like it was just going to slide out from under me. Very likely that it wasn't set up right for me (I should really learn how to do that).

The CDX is heavier, has a wider forebody, and feels a lot more stable to me. It is not quite as fast, but can be turned on a dime. I was comfortable on it almost immediately and listed my Mapple on ebay as soon as I got home.

Both are good skis. But not all skis match up with all skiers. That is why I suggest demoing if you can. Otherwise, ebay is the best option (buying/selling).