PDA

View Full Version : vapor lock?-'03 X-9 w/MCX

Lt.@324
07-31-2011, 03:02 PM
Okay guys-my lake is in southwest michigan and we've had a hot humid summer-last weekend after wake boarding and surfing boat was running rough and bogging down. Took a test drive on Friday had a slight lag out of the hole but otherwise ok. Went skiing yesterday morn and same. check eng light came on with perfect pass. shut it down and was able to ski without PP. Removed pump module and installed new filter and spare pump I had on hand. After test drive it ran good with only one prob out of the hole but after 10 min had check eng light come on briefly just once-one of the gear heads on lake mentioned vapor lock -somebody must have had this problem-p.s.-hate this in tank fuel pump-this is'nt a car!

vision
07-31-2011, 03:30 PM
I am guessing no vapor lock as why would that trigger a check engine warning? Plus, I think one of the advantages of an in tank pump is that it is that vapor lock is exceptionally difficult to achieve. But more knowledgeable TT members will answer that question.

I would go through the normal engine check list. Checking fuel pressure at the rail and checking each cylinder for spark/plug status and compression would be my next next steps.

This has not all occurred since filling up at a new station by chance?

JimN
07-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Okay guys-my lake is in southwest michigan and we've had a hot humid summer-last weekend after wake boarding and surfing boat was running rough and bogging down. Took a test drive on Friday had a slight lag out of the hole but otherwise ok. Went skiing yesterday morn and same. check eng light came on with perfect pass. shut it down and was able to ski without PP. Removed pump module and installed new filter and spare pump I had on hand. After test drive it ran good with only one prob out of the hole but after 10 min had check eng light come on briefly just once-one of the gear heads on lake mentioned vapor lock -somebody must have had this problem-p.s.-hate this in tank fuel pump-this is'nt a car!

No, it's not a car but the in-tank pump is there for the same reason- high fuel pressure is needed for fuel injection. If you don't want this design, put a carb on it and deal with that whole nest of problems.

A clogged fuel filter, line or bad pump won't cause a check engine light and if the gearheads knew what they're talking about, they would have at least looked at the fuel lines to find out what they're dealing with.

How clean is the flame arrester? In the time I worked on boats, that was the single most neglected thing I saw. Next, check fuel pressure. You can use a simple code scanner on your boat- go ahead and check for codes before replacing any parts, so you don't waste a bunch of money. How far from Action Watersports are you?

If it's hot and you didn't ventilate the bilge before starting after it was shut down, it could easily be a heat soak issue. If it happens again, open the motor box and let the engine cool down, or use the bilge blower for a few minutes before cranking it.

Lt.@324
07-31-2011, 06:18 PM
thanks jim for the reply-I'm here to be educated -I'm at work but my son's have used the boat today with no problem so far-the one "gear head" did advise keeping the box open when not using ,especially when it's very hot outside and I try to get the boys to keep in on our covered hoist also. We have a K/N air cleaner on this model which I clean once every fall and pack away-normal use for us is 100 to 125 hrs a season. Should I clean it mid-season? It doesn't look bad to me but must admit I haven't really examined it. Must also admit not airing bildge all the time. I think Action is about 2 hours away. May have left something out. Didn't have time till I was on vacation 2 weeks ago, but I did change plugs cap and rotor at that time-I have rechecked all the connections they're fine. p.s. son called just now and said boat is running rough but no check eng light. Gotta take it in I guess!

JimN
07-31-2011, 06:28 PM
thanks jim for the reply-I'm here to be educated -I'm at work but my son's have used the boat today with no problem so far-the one "gear head" did advise keeping the box open when not using ,especially when it's very hot outside and I try to get the boys to keep in on our covered hoist also. We have a K/N air cleaner on this model which I clean once every fall and pack away-normal use for us is 100 to 125 hrs a season. Should I clean it mid-season? It doesn't look bad to me but must admit I haven't really examined it. Must also admit not airing bildge all the time. I think Action is about 2 hours away.

It's always a good idea to check things like filters/spark arresters mid-season, especially if performance issues show up. I would also look at the impeller and oil cooler. It only takes being clogged one time to kill the impeller and that's caused by debris in the oil cooler, most often.

Lt.@324
07-31-2011, 06:50 PM
That I did cause that's the first thing I looked for, plus engine temp never exceeded about 150deg--and Impeller is in great shape-no weeds in cooler-I did add about plugs and rotor on original blog. Now that I think of it I had e-mailed Mastercraft about iridium v/s platinum plugs to indmar and they advised going back to MR43LTS --could this be a bingo

JimN
07-31-2011, 08:30 PM
That I did cause that's the first thing I looked for, plus engine temp never exceeded about 150deg--and Impeller is in great shape-no weeds in cooler-I did add about plugs and rotor on original blog. Now that I think of it I had e-mailed Mastercraft about iridium v/s platinum plugs to indmar and they advised going back to MR43LTS --could this be a bingo

If an auto parts store says they can't get MR43LTS, go somewhere else- they're not hard to find but some stores don't want to bother ordering them.

How old are the plug wires? If they're older than 3 years, I'd think about some new ones. O'Reilly Auto Parts has some that come with a lifetime warranty. For that matter, if the cap & rotor are due for replacement, they also sell Borg Warner Gold series that also come with lifetime warranty. I have a Chevy Silverado and bought one set of each, about 8 years ago. I replaced them last year- $0.00 and about 15 minutes (it would have taken longer but it was really hot outside).