PDA

View Full Version : 83' Main Seal Possibly Leaking - How Much to Fix

Nvrgvup
07-31-2011, 11:32 AM
I think either my rear main or pan gasket is leaking. Looking at another post with same problem it looks like the main. Oil dripping down the bellhousing cover. I have an 83' and apparently that is the first year of the one piece seal. However I am worried I may have an 82' engine since the years are close.

How can I determine my engine year or figure out if it has a one or two piece seal without taking it apart The boat is a later 83' with fiberglass stringers so I am hopeful.

How big of a job is this? I have the ability just not the space, time or equipment to pull the engine if needed. Does anybody have an idea how much it will cost to fix at a shop? I would probably have it done over the winter so I can get their $60/hr winter rate. Proably a good idea to get the damper plate and trans input seal and maybe output done as well.

MasterKraftS&S
08-01-2011, 03:12 PM
DITTO for my '84!

89BigBlock
08-02-2011, 11:48 AM
$1100 is what I'm being quoted!

Nvrgvup
08-02-2011, 04:44 PM
$1,100...Wow that is more than I was thinking. What all was included?

I was hoping $600 - $800 for the damper plate, main seal and maybe the trans seals.

It may be more with your 454 which I think has a 2 piece rear main seal. Which means you have to remove the engine & pull the oil pan to get at the seal.

I did find an experienced local guy who does boat repair on the side. Only charges $50.00 to winterize including materials.