PDA

View Full Version : O'Brien Siege.....Opinions????

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-28-2005, 05:45 PM
O'Brien Siege.....Opinions????

I was just wondering what other skiers thought of the Siege??? I own one and I really like mine. I have only skied it this year.
If you have tried one or own one, or know someone who does, please post. I really like mine, but I have been considering other skis too as other people say there are way better skis on the market. I have talked to a couple of ski shops that seem to put down the Siege and I am curious what other people think of it?? I am just curious why some shops are putting it down. One shop said you have to ski too fast on it....?
Please offer your thoughts here.

Thanks!!! :)

Leroy
07-28-2005, 06:08 PM
UMP190 I've also researched and reached the conclusion I would like that ski or similar so I'm interested in this also.

07-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Well, Leroy, this I am not a course skier, I just enjoy carving up the lake to the best of my ability. I have always been an Obrien fan. So I looked into the Synchro, Siege, Verdict,and Mapple. The Verdict and Mapple are much beyond my skill level and they wouldnt me very good for me and my style of skiing. I called Obrien and told them how I skied, and they recommended the Siege or Synchro, with no one being better. So, I opted for the siege as I wanted to stay away from a wider ski and it seemd more aimed at recreational/intermediate skiers that like to carve it up or are just starting course skiing. I have been very happy with mine. The reason I seek another ski is, I want to explore other skis and see if it affects my skiing in a positive way. I dont know why some people seem to diss the Siege. thats what I want to know here.....what are peoples opinions....good or bad. I htink the Siege is very smooth. Its fast across the wake compared to what I am used to, but yet stable. Its fine just cruising and free skiing, it doesnt wobble around searching for an edge. It dont crap out when your leaning on it. Its responsive for my tastes.

I think its a great ski for an intermediate level skier.

so please post your thougths here and satisfy my curiosity, and help Leroy decide if this is the ski for him or not. :wavey:

Leroy
07-28-2005, 06:54 PM
My bad, actually it is the Synchro I have been looking at because it was wider! Siege looks nice also. At around 210 I think I just need to loose some weight!THink I just need to try them!:dance:

BriEOD
07-28-2005, 06:56 PM
8p Lay off the Beast Leroy!!

Leroy
07-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Hey, I can get that from my wife!

07-28-2005, 10:31 PM
I am 185-190 lbs. and ski the 68" Siege Leroy. It works well for me. The Synchro is a very intruiging ski to me also. I darn near bought that instead of my Siege, but I just thought I wanted a quicker ride, so I opted for the Siege, but it was a very close call. Almost a Eeeny Meeny Miny Mo decision..... :) I like the Siege, but still wonder what the Synchro would have been like. :rolleyes:

ktn_cmu
07-29-2005, 09:24 AM
I ski a 2002 or 2003 siege...can't remember. Either way, I love my ski. I am not a course skier either...but I'd love to be if I had a course. I can't talk all technical, but I know if feels just right on my feet. I have double high-wrap contacts. I can't imagine why anyone feels they need to diss the ski, but then again, I've not skied on any higher end skis to know the difference. If I had it to buy again, I would.

Kyle

RackAtak
07-29-2005, 10:32 AM
My wife bought the Siege at the beginning of the season and she loves it. Contact front and RTP.

07-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Well, I have been very happy with my Siege too. Maybe its just becuase it fits my skill level. Maybe the more advanced skiers dont like it because it doesnt perform enough for them.....?
All I know is I am very comfortable on it.

bkblaida
07-31-2005, 09:43 AM
I ski on the Synchro. 69" Contact fronts w/rear toe plate. I am 5'6"and 150 lbs. I made this selection while at Coble Ski School. Their advice is until you can consistantly make the course at 22 off, use as much ski as possible. Several instructors ran the Synchro at 22 off / 34 mph to prove the ski can perform. Beyond that point change to; first a narrower ski, than shorter as your skill level improves. I too am always looking at a better ski, but than remember my course skill which is 15 off at 30vmph and realize a better ski would not help, I just need more ski time. I mostly free ski and the wider synchro makes it easier to get up and is less strenuous when skiing all day long. I have not heard a negative word about the Seige. Just remember it was not designed to compete at the Masters but to give an intermediate skier a forgiving, performance ski. Keep your skill level in perspective and use equipment that compliments your level. You will ski better and have more money for gas!

ski_king
07-31-2005, 10:14 AM
I have said iit before, the Syncro is one great ski. I ride the 63 in. one I got for my daughters from time to time and can't believe how good it is.
Easy to get up on, cuts with the best of them and is forgiving, plus I bought new for $150!. What more could you want from a ski?

I also got a 66 in Mapple for me, and I finally got it adjusted and it skis great, but I could have saved $250 and got a 66 in. Syncro if I would have believed it skied that great.

My suggestion, get a Syncro over a Siege.

gimmemoedmb
08-01-2005, 12:18 AM
I bought a new ski last year and I was originally looking at an HO Vengeance or the Siege. I don't like the Synchro because I don't like the wider skiis which is partly why I didn't like the Vengeance as well. I wanted to demo the skiis and when I asked about it, the guy at the ski shop recommended a KD Carbon 7000. I tried that out too and I liked it much better than the other two. I did not like the Siege when I demo'd it. It just didn't seem to turn as nicely as the 7000. I'm wondering how much of that is due to the boat I was behind because it was not a ski boat but it still just didn't feel right and the 7000 felt great. I went with the 7000 and I absolutely love it. I would say to demo the skiis you want to try because that definitely helped me decide.