PDA

View Full Version : 94 Prostar 205 is this the correct trans cooler

sp00ky
07-30-2011, 08:27 PM
I just bought this boat 2 weeks ago and it had water in the trans fluid. I seemed to have gotten the water out but while suspecting the trans cooler was the issue I saw below. Is this normal? or did someone throw the wrong cooler in and then rigged it.

The impeller hose goes over the cut hose pictured. Doesn't seem right to me:confused:

Engine Nut
07-30-2011, 08:44 PM
The correct cooler will have connections for 1 1/4 ID hose on each end. The Indmar P/N is 495150.

FrankSchwab
07-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Hey, Engine Nut, glad to see you posting.

To the OP, that looks like a reasonable trans cooler, but I don't understand why the near end isn't connected to anything. Raw lake water is supposed to flow through from end-to-end and on to the motor, and the trans fluid goes in/out through the side connections. If this represents how you've run the boat, then I think:
1. The PO must have rigged a 1-1/4" hose that bypasses the trans cooler (probably because it has a hole in it that's letting water into the transmission)
2. The transmission isn't getting any cooling at all (no good!).

sp00ky
07-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear I detached the hose to the impeller for picture purposes. The hose goes over the cut hose pictured.