PDA

View Full Version : Power slot transmission rear nut removal

bcl
07-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Drive shaft ate blower hose and damaged rear seal. Have the parts and mechanical ability but can't get the nut off, using breaker bar with a pipe on it for the big nut and have a bolt and nut in the flange with a wrench and pipe on it to keep the hub from turning. Trans is still in boat and would like to keep it that way. Model is a 10-17, 1.52 to 1 and it's an 89 prostar.

If anyone has any experience with this, let me know.

Thanks,
Brian

Kyle
07-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Use an impact wrench.

woodrowskis
07-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Is there any chance it is opposite thread? I don't know about the tranny but that has burned me on bicycle on lawnmower. Not sure how to find out but could be worth looking into.

bcl
08-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Threads are normal righty tighty. Found a manual online and it lists the torque spec at 250 ft-lbs which is... uhh....pretty tight. Plus it's never been off in 22 years I assume. Tried an impact wrench and an impact driver with no luck. Kind of afraid to heat it.

Today I'm going to try to take the reduction unit off the trans and work on it out of the boat. Will update.

Kyle
08-02-2011, 01:03 PM
I would leave it in for now.

First I would liquid wrench or wd40 the heck out of the nut and shaft end.

Did you try to tighten before you loosen. Sometimes this helps.

Heat just the tip of the output shaft and nut.

You will have more leverage in the boat with it bolted up vs on a bench or vise. It is also a lot less messy. Tranny fluid will be everywhere if you take the reduction gear off in the boat.

bcl
08-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Didn't get that last one till already done. Most of the trans fluid already leaked out the seal, so there was only a pint or so left.

I thought about heat, but was a little worried about that. Drilled some holes around the nut, used a chisel to split the holes a little and chiseled off the part that holds the nylon insert in the nut. Then I attached a 4 ft. piece of angle iron to hub to keep it from spinning and tried the breaker with pipe again and it came loose. I had tried that in the boat without success. Reassembled and painted, now have to wait for new gasket to arrive - maybe Thurs. Then I can put it back in. Thanks everyone for your help.

Brian