PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Power Wire Not Holding 12 Volts???

jeffrow68
07-29-2011, 09:33 AM
I installed a new Kenwood receiver in my 2005 X-30. It operated OK for about 3 months and then started randomly turning off. It finally went off and did not come back on. I bench tested the unit and it worked fine. From there I checked the red and yellow power wires, each had 12V without anything connected. When I connected the wires to the unit, the yellow wire would drop voltage to about 1-2V, not enough to turn the unit on.

What causes this and where does the yellow wire come from? Possibly a bad connection? I cannot seem to locate the source of this wire. Thanks for any help, Jeff

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-29-2011, 02:08 PM
the yellow wire is 12v directly from battery or some kind of bus bar, its its not able to carry the current it could shut off, you could just run a whole new wire to your radio, heres a pic of a typical kenwood setup

Table Rocker
07-29-2011, 03:01 PM
The yellow wire is for clock/memory power and should be very low amperage. The unit gets it's working power from the red lead.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-29-2011, 03:31 PM
^ either way it should not have a voltage drop on the y wire.

Starshack
08-01-2011, 11:07 AM
I had a similar situation on a Sony head unit I installed over the winter. On that unit the yellow wire carried the main load from the battery (including memory and clock) and the red was just a signal to turn on - yellow wire was heavier gauge. I wired directly to the battery and installed a fuse in line close to battery. Works fine.

jeffrow68
08-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the info on this issue. My situation is similar to Starshak, where the yellow wire is a heavy gauge wire that supplies continuous power, and the red wire is smaller gauge that signals on/off. I did run an alternate yellow wire from a continuous lead from the accessory panel that solved the problem. I would have liked to find where the yellow wire originates so I could troubleshoot and replace this wire, but I could not. Thanks, Jeff