PDA

View Full Version : LTR 330 Timing Mark

BG1772
07-29-2011, 08:34 AM
Last night I was trying to find the timing marks on the Harmonic Balancer, but there is nothing stamped on it. Does anybody else that has a LTR 330 know if they have the timing marks?

dummy
07-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Last night I was trying to find the timing marks on the Harmonic Balancer, but there is nothing stamped on it. Does anybody else that has a LTR 330 know if they have the timing marks?

There's no distributor, so what are you trying to accomplish?

There are 2 CPS sensors on the front of the crankshaft that tell the ignition system where the engine is in its rotation. That's how the computer/ignition control unit of the Northstar ignition system determines when to fire the plugs. IMHO advancing the timing would be bad since the air/fuel tables are speed density. Messing with air/fuel/spark will just take the engine outside of its designed operational parameters and could lead to internal damage if you lean it out too much.

BG1772
07-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Not trying to advance timing, trying to set valves. Instructions call for setting #1 at TDC then to set the the rockers for certian valves (don't have the specifics in front of me). Then rotate the engine one turn, this will set #6 at TDC. Then set the remaining valves.

dummy
07-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Aaah. They're hydraulic roller lifters, so you just want to get 'em to zero lash plus 1/2-turn. Pull the plugs so the engine rotates more easily and then rotate the engine until the roller lifter is on the heel of the camshaft.

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89o5rLpbCgI

BG1772
07-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the reply! Great video. The way that the video describes the procedure, is how I did it. I was just surprised that there was not a timing mark on the harmonic balancer.

1redTA
07-29-2011, 10:26 AM
do it with the engine running, that way you don't have to worry about a lifter bleeding down