PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft teams up with Cobalt?

zed
07-28-2011, 08:21 PM
i heard MC teamed up with Cobalt for the New 300 series. any word if that will trickle down to the design and quality of the smaller boats series?

JohnE
07-28-2011, 09:59 PM
As far as I know MC hasn't teamed up with cobalt for anything. They do have some engineers on staff that were formerly employed by other manufacturers, cobalt and sea ray being rumored.

MIskier
07-28-2011, 10:05 PM
The Naval Architect at MC worked for Cobalt yachts before he went to Mastercraft. The 300 was all in house design, most of the engineering staff has worked for some blue water yacht company at one point or another.

zed
07-28-2011, 10:31 PM
hmm i must have miss read the article.. off topic but i personally think the cobalt is way overpriced..

all I/O's use the same engines ..

that at least is what it seems like anyway!!

MIskier
07-28-2011, 10:45 PM
hmm i must have miss read the article.. off topic but i personally think the cobalt is way overpriced..

all I/O's use the same engines ..

that at least is what it seems like anyway!!

All inboards use GM based engines and most of them use Indmar as their supplier...just saying. The cost of these boats is not in the engine, but in the labor and the quality of the raw materials used.

east tx skier
07-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Cobalt made a direct drive ob ski boat back in the early 90s.

zed
07-28-2011, 11:07 PM
i could be wrong but from what i have seen.. cobalt takes the cake on pricey boats, probably for good reason... i bet if they made a direct drive inboard, Mastercraft would finally have some competition that can come close to there quality.. just a guess ...

MIskier
07-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Cobalt made a direct drive ob ski boat back in the early 90s.

They were Hydrodyne hulls I think, but the experiment tanked because the boats were way too heavy and it compromised the wake.

there is actually one for sale right now in KY 202 model only 24000 for a 1998!

MIskier
07-28-2011, 11:19 PM
i could be wrong but from what i have seen.. cobalt takes the cake on pricey boats, probably for good reason... i bet if they made a direct drive inboard, Mastercraft would finally have some competition that can come close to there quality.. just a guess ...

You havent seen the price tag on a new Chris Craft then...

east tx skier
07-29-2011, 12:13 AM

They did. It wasn't.

DJ 50
07-29-2011, 07:48 AM

I spend just as many hours driving a Cobalt (in-laws) as I do my MC. Both of them are 2010. I love my boat and wouldn't trade it for the world but when it comes to quality you would be hard to beat the Cobalt. They are costly but I would say they are well worth it. That being said it would be a loooong time before Cobalt could every produce MC quality when it comes to ski or wakeboard wake with thier boats.