PDA

View Full Version : Battery compartment on '79 S & S

eschind
07-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Good Morning,
I am trying to figure out where the original battery compartment was on my '79 S & S. The previous owner mangled an area underneath the spotter seat, but the battery is not held down. Any descriptions or pictures on how the battery was originally mounted would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Erik

ski_king
07-28-2005, 10:57 AM
I am pretty sure it was orginally mounted under the observer seat in a recessed battery box near the center of the boat. I bet JEREMY79 can get you a photo of his setup.

Cloaked
07-28-2005, 05:43 PM
I am pretty sure it was orginally mounted under the observer seat in a recessed battery box near the center of the boat. I bet JEREMY79 can get you a photo of his setup.It was. I have had a 79. IIRC, the 78 - 85s were all in the same vicinity of location, under the judge's seat. They were secured by a typical (automobile) setup; two threaded rods that have a curvature on each end of the rod to hook within a hole on the box, on each side of the battery; all secured with a cross-bar that is placed across the top of the battery, held into place under each threaded rod nut.

I use a rubber strap that spans from side-to-side across the top of the battery. Done deal.

eschind
07-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Thank you for your help. Is the battery tray recessed into the floor?

Cloaked
07-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Thank you for your help. Is the battery tray recessed into the floor?Yes and no. It is a plastic compartment that is part of the center section of the flooring. It does protrude into the open section of the hull (under the floor) but is not part of the hull itself. When you pull the floor piece, it comes out attached to the flooring.

I miss the fiberglass platform and the wider exhaust ports (ran outside of the stringers vs inside on the 82s on up).