PDA

View Full Version : 89 Maristar 240 Restoration

rsteffy
07-27-2011, 09:45 AM
First of all, this is my first time post on this forum so forgive me for being so long winded. I have two sons (11 and 15) who have been hounding me to get a ski boat. I have been looking for over a year for a suitable boat that would fit my budget. A friend of mine put me onto a coworker who had a good boat he might be willing to let go of for a decent price. I went to look and came away in love with the boat. Itís a 89 Maristar 240 bowrider ďprojectĒ boat. I came here in search of information about the boat and restoration pointers. I do believe Iíve hit the honey hole. Awesome site with lots of great information and knowledgeable folks. After spending way too much time on the computer reading many of the threads, I decided to go ahead and buy the boat, paid for it yesterday. I believe I got it for a good price so Iím willing to put some money in it to bring it back to its former glory.

The good:
The body is in good shape however gel coat needs to buffed out.
Back in 94 it was "upgraded" to a Crusader 454 throttle body engine that still looks and sounds like new. The boat runs great and sounds awesome. Donít know much about Crusader engines, good or not so good?
The Bad:
The boat has been sitting outside uncovered for several years so the interior is in need of a total replacement (seating and carpet).
Most of the gages don't work, the stereo doesn't work, and the trailer has significant cosmetic rust issues (it does have new wheels and brakes). I can repair all the gages and stereo myself so thatís no big deal. Contemplating doing the reupholstering and carpeting myself also.
I'm very excited about getting started on the boat. The wife is still trying to figure out what I was thinking after she saw it for the first time last night, she's not real happy at thte moment but that'll change.
Iíll try to post some pictures tomorrow and Iím sure to be posting frequently asking all sorts of questions, hopefully not too dumb.

rjracin240
07-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Welcome to the web site, awesome sounding project. Dont forget to post lots of pictures and keep us all informed of how your project progresses.

oxberger
07-27-2011, 01:05 PM
rsteffy, welcome to the board and congrats on your purchase! We're looking forward to all the pictures. The carpetting you can do yourself and is fairly easy, just time consuming. After reading about the upholstery on here I'd recommend having it done by a pro. So where in the southeast are you?

rsteffy
07-27-2011, 02:02 PM
We live in South Carolina right next to Lake Murray, where we'll be spending nearly all of our time on the boat.
Thanks for the advice on the reupholstering and I'll take it into consideration. I've been doing a lot of research into the subject and have found several who have done it and were pleased with the results. I'm a fairly skilled DIY'er and am foolish enough to try just about anything. I'm planning to get estimates from several of the local upholstering shops around town and will then decide. I'm a cheap SOB and any time I can save a few bucks in exchange for my sweat, I'm all for it. I do want it to look like a factory job so if I'm not 95% confident I can do it properly, I'll bite the bullet and have it done.
One thing I have noticed is that this boat has a Crusader engine installed which as far as I can tell is unique. Did some research on the Crusaders and most of it has been real positive. One thing I did note was that many sites say to expect 15 yrs or so before overhaul is required. This motor is right at that time in its life. Since I'm brand new to inboards, does this seem about right? Like I said, the motor runs strong and sounds great. Didn't do a compression check but did pull all the plugs and did a general external inspection and everything looks fine. It does have a new starter and rebuilt water pump.
I'm trying to attach two pictures I took on my cell phone just to show the wife before I showed up at home with the boat. I didn't take any of the interior because I didn't want to scare her off from the get go.
Thanks for the welcome and hope you will be patient with me and all of the questions I'll be posting in the coming months. Thanks again.

oxberger
07-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Nice boat you have there! Only been to SC one time and that was for my honeymoon in Charleston (love that place). I'm in Murfreesboro TN and thought if we were close I could help you out. If you are going to do the interior yourself there's a place here in TN that does really good work. You send them your old skins and they use those as a template to create the new ones. I can't think of the name right now. There's a place in TX too http://www.mastercraftskins.com/www.mastercraftskins.com/MasterCraftSkins.html
From what I hear they do good work. I'm not familiar with the crusader engine. I wouldn't be so worried about how many years old it is, I'd worry more about the hours and how well it was maintained. There are some guys on here that have well over 1,000 hours and have never had issues. Hopefully someone with experience on a Crusader will chime in. The hull doesn't look all that bad. I wold bet you probably wouldn't even need to wetsand to bring it back to life. The teak on the other hand looks like it needs a little help.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Welcome to Team Talk. Looks like you got yourself a great project. I agree with Ox that you can probably clean that gelcoat up without the need to wetsand and go directly to the high speed polisher. Search gelcoat restoration and you will find lots of reading. When I worked on my gelcoat last summer, I bought the cheap variable speed polisher from Harbor Freight and was surprised that it held up just fine.

Now that you have it home, if you haven't already, take lots of pictures of everything. You will really appreciate it a couple years from now when things are really coming together and you can put a picture book together. I went back and used a lot of those early pice for reference along the way too.

psychobilly
07-28-2011, 05:43 AM
Welcome to Team Talk. Looks like you got yourself a great project. I agree with Ox that you can probably clean that gelcoat up without the need to wetsand and go directly to the high speed polisher. Search gelcoat restoration and you will find lots of reading. When I worked on my gelcoat last summer, I bought the cheap variable speed polisher from Harbor Freight and was surprised that it held up just fine.

Now that you have it home, if you haven't already, take lots of pictures of everything. You will really appreciate it a couple years from now when things are really coming together and you can put a picture book together. I went back and used a lot of those early pice for reference along the way too.

You hit the nail on the head with that post brotha!!!

rsteffy
07-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Got a few more pictures after getting the boat home and I have a couple of quick questions.
When I opened the motor cover, I found the blower unit sitting on the bottom of the engine compartment without the vent ducting. The blower works so it just looks to be a matter of installing the duct work and remounting the blower motor. My question is, I couldn’t find an obvious mounting location for the blower. Is there an optimal mounting location and exactly where does the duct discharge to?
I managed to get the oil pressure gage working (at least is appears to be working) but the temperature gage appears to be bad. The temperature sending unit works properly and the proper signal is getting to the gage but it just pegs high when hooked up. I’ll probably just replace all of the gages if I can’t find a matching gage but that’ll be later, in the mean time I’ll install any gage I can find that fits. I found the compass in the glove box but the mounting flange is broken at three corners, as are many of the instrument dash panels. I’ll make new dash panels much like the “CantRepeat” did for his boat.
One last thing, the depth finder powers up but doesn’t appear to be working properly. Where exactly would the depth finder transducer be? I spent a couple of minutes looking but didn’t find it.
Also, thanks for the tip about the HF Buffer. I was just about to drop a couple of hundred on a Dewalt but after reading the previous post I think I'll give a "inexpensive" one a shot, can't hurt.
Again, thanks for all the help and advice. The best thing about this project is that my two sons are just as enthusiastic as I am about working on this boat (and so far no fights between the two of them:).

plunk77
07-28-2011, 07:07 PM
you definitely have a project ahead of you. good luck and can't wait to see the final results

d2jp
07-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Looks good to me!

As long as it floats, the engine runs, and the trailer checks out, throw some towels down on the seats and get in some lake time this summer. My kids are 14 and 16 and we've had way more fun on our boat this summer than on most vacations. Luckily, my wife is a 'boat person' and while initially reluctant to buy our '89 - once she test drove it she was hooked (I'm a lucky guy). You can always use some evenings after work to do some preventative maintenance, clean, detail, buff, etc. Start getting some quotes on the interior and plan on working on that in the off season. Having some family fun ASAP will help your wife understand why you made the purchase.

OTOH....if it doesn't run and/or there are major mechanical issues, MC's are solidly built and usually worth the time and money invested, especially if you're doing it yourself!

PS - I have the HF sander as well, it's worth the $29.99 price. Mine starting smoking badly with the first hour, but that went away and it's run fine since:) I usually hate their crappy tools, but this one isn't bad.

rsteffy
07-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Picked up a HF buffer tonight. At $30, if it only lasts long enough to finish the boat, I'll be happy. I'm usually a cheap about almost everything but tools. I'll buy a new tool in a skinny minute.
Also picked up a new temp sending unit and gauge to put in tomorrow. Also looking to repair the gas gauge. Found another good thread here about repairing the gas sending units.
This forum is simply a great source of information that will go a long way to make this a fun project for the kids and myself. Hopefully after going thru everything on the boat, I'll be able to return the favor and help someone else down the road.
Thanks again for all the help and encouragement.

psychobilly
07-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Ya need to get ya a good'un man. I got the DeWalt off of Ebay and man what a deal!!!

Take a look at this thread. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=710756&postcount=40

BrianM has the right directions on how to DIY.

To answer your question on the blower duct work, if'n it's like my '91 240SC it should run all the way back to the stern. Look oon the stern and see if there's some vents there. If so, good luck on replace'n it. It ain't gunn abe easy to do. I ain't pulled my rear seat out yet all the way. If you gunna be doing a total restoration you shoudln't have any issues. I can't remember but I think the Blower had a couple of srews in it bolting it to the starboard motor stringer.

Your depth finder transducer is normally epoxied to the bilge. It reads through the hull.

MC240
07-29-2011, 12:30 AM
Great boat you have bought. I have a 1991 Maristar 240 and I just restored it last winter.(see MC240 album). The blower bolts to the angle motor base plate on the drivers side on mine. It ducts out to the vents on rear or side. Let me know if you need anything. I am on Lake Greenwood , SC. Just above Lake Murray. Don't know much about Crusader Motors, but if it runs, drive the crap out of it. Mine has the Indmar 454 HO. It has more than enough power. There have been a few Maristars that been sold for parts on the market page on this website. Let me know if I can help in any way. I'm not on the website very much during the summer.

FrankSchwab
07-29-2011, 12:46 AM
If it was "upgraded" to a Crusader engine, it probably means the original engine died - and that early in the boat's life, probably means it didn't get winterized and the block cracked.

Take that as a lesson, and make sure to winterize it when the temperatures get too cold to ski (around here, it's when the day time highs start dropping below 80 ;) .

d2jp
07-29-2011, 07:23 AM
Found this Crusader service manual (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/2486386327.html) on CL: