PDA

View Full Version : Trans fluid in the bilge

curtish
07-27-2011, 12:30 AM
My father-in-laws '01 X9 had a splash of transmission fluid in the bilge when we were getting it ready for the first weekend of the season. It sat in a garage and was not exposed to any cold temperatures all winter. Now every time we take it out of the water and pull the plug, the water has a nice rainbow in it from a tiny bit of fluid. Also, it is making a slippery mess out of the bilge. We have been keeping an eye on the fluid level, and after topping off in mid May, it has not dropped at all (noticeably). The fluid looks and smells perfect. If I wipe the bottom of the trans with a clean paper towel, I'll always get a small pink stain. Any idea where it would be coming from? And would the trans have to be removed to solve?

76S&S
07-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Sounds like a tranny seal and if that is it, it would probably be easiest to remove it to replace.

curtish
07-28-2011, 02:26 AM
Are you talking about the rear one where the shaft exits the trans?

76S&S
07-28-2011, 08:37 AM
yes, at least that is the one that went out on mine.

GoneBoatN
07-28-2011, 01:13 PM
I had a problem where it was simply the drain plug had an extremely slow leak (drip). Try to locate where it is coming from. The dealer use dye that a florescent light (UV) would show where it was coming from. Also be sure to not overfill the tranny.

Thrall
07-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Most likely rear seal, front seal or trans cooler. If it hasn't lost enough to drop the fluid level all summer I wouldn't get too worried about it, especailly now, wait til winter.
My 190 always had a slight engine oil leak. Amazing it only takes a few drops of oil in the bilge water to make a mess.
I never fixed it, but I'd clean the bilge with dishwasher detergent. Throw some in when the boat is dry, it will cut the oil and clean the bilge sloshing around in there. Couple times a year I'd sue some degreaser as the 'scum line" would not go away completely.

curtish
07-29-2011, 12:40 AM
I had not thought about it being the drain plug. That would be sweet if it was. Hasn't been removed in a while as we suck the fluid out to change it. Will probably wait till winter cause it's not that bad. Sure makes a mess though. Also, with the ballast filled, the water has a way of pooling in the ski locker (which has a fat sack in it) so it makes the locker and bag slimy. Boo. Maybe we just need more ballast in the back. =)