PDA

View Full Version : Cooler seat/lid on X45 - anyone put one on?

jvbaca
07-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Hi,

I have an '05 X45 and am thinking of putting a spring or gas shock on/under the passenger seat over the cooler so when I'm loading it or unloading, taking it out or....putting it in (the cooler), I'm not fighting the seat. Anybody done this? If so let me know what you did to solve this problem (short of shoving a 2x4 and jamming it open). :D Thanks!

WakePowell
07-26-2011, 10:23 PM
I installed the seat prop used on the X35. Its available from Mastercraft for $55.

jvbaca
07-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Any pics to share?? I will look on the MC Wsite to see if they show it. Thanks for the reply.

scott023
07-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Any pics to share?? I will look on the MC Wsite to see if they show it. Thanks for the reply.

No kidding. I think I'd snap one up if its functional.

Thrall
07-27-2011, 12:18 PM
I looked at them when I was thinking about putting the hinges on my X2 cooler seat.
(Thanks S&W Marine for not ordering me the parts.:( Maybe NW watersports will order them for me!)
You will have to make a cutout in the seat base for the prop to go through, but I kinda liked it better than a gas shock because there's no latch on that seat and I could see the possiblity of wind or bouncing down the highway "opening" the cooler seat with a shock on it.

Hinges and a prop or shock are definately money! Not sure why MC didn't put them on all the boats. Get sick of pulling that seat out 50x a day to get into the cooler. Might be a winter project this year.

jvbaca
08-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Just finished the Passenger seat cooler lid prop. It will hold the seat open when fully extended allow me to insert and remove the cooler but otherwise allow the passenger to lift the seat, open the cooler get their choice of "beverage" ;) and close the seat with no interference. I think we're going to enjoy it this weekend. Let me know your thoughts, good or bad (I have thin skin so be nice, just kidding)! 8p

jvbaca
08-02-2011, 10:35 PM
More pics....

jvbaca
08-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Even though I'm using my hand in the pic to fold the spring, it only requires one finger to break the spine and the seat comes down by itself as though it had no support which is what I was after, normal operation with the exception that now I can load and unload the cooler without using my head to hold the darn seat up.......

scott023
08-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Looks a heck of a lot better than the factory set up to me. Do you have a link to where you got the kit from?

jvbaca
08-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Bought the Spring from west marine and the stainless #10 5mm screws from ace. About $35.00 total :)

etnovass
08-03-2011, 02:24 PM
that looks great. what cooler is that. i have an 06 x 45 and a cant find a cooler that fits.

jvbaca
08-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Walmart, igloo marine 36 qt cooler sku#003422306778 (at least that was the sku when I bought it on 04/18/10). fits like factory

ttu
08-03-2011, 02:53 PM
wonder if that would work on my 07 x2. hate pulling the seat off everytime someone needs something out of the cooler.

jvbaca
08-03-2011, 03:03 PM
TTU, the seat on my x45 is on hinges and was a pita to hold open to insert and remove the cooler so I installed this spring mechanism, however I did not design this to hold the seat open for someone who is just grabbing a cold one. In other words it only works when the seat is fully opened and that's the way I wanted it. If your seat isn't on hinges and you have to take it off to get to the cooler I don't know if this would work unless you installed one on each side of the seat? Still seems like the seat would be shifting while the spring is trying to hold it........I dunno....

ttu
08-03-2011, 03:12 PM
TTU, the seat on my x45 is on hinges and was a pita to hold open to insert and remove the cooler so I installed this spring mechanism, however I did not design this to hold the seat open for someone who is just grabbing a cold one. In other words it only works when the seat is fully opened and that's the way I wanted it. If your seat isn't on hinges and you have to take it off to get to the cooler I don't know if this would work unless you installed one on each side of the seat? Still seems like the seat would be shifting while the spring is trying to hold it........I dunno....

no hinges. thanks for your input.

jvbaca
08-03-2011, 03:19 PM
The wife and I might head to Tulsa later this year for the Theory of a deadman concert. Which are the nicer hotels to stay in? What are some cool sites to take in while were there?:)

ttu
08-03-2011, 03:23 PM
sent you a pm

x-swagger
08-22-2011, 09:15 AM
BAM!!!
Thanks for the advice bro.69842

rgardjr1
08-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Looks good! I'd like to do something like this on my MS 200 (X-2), but the port seat has a tab that is designed to slide under the opening for the cooler. The tab is there to hold the seat in place and the seat slides back under the upholstery on the side of the boat. When I take this cushion out I have to pull the cushion out toward the starboard side before I can start lifting the seat cushion. I'll have to take a closer look next weekend to see if its workable.

jvbaca
08-22-2011, 08:30 PM
xswagger: Nice job, looks fantastic and I love mine it's save my head a bunch of bumps and bruises, not to mention my back when trying to put in the loaded cooler!!

Rgardjr1: Don't know if it would work but it does sound like it would even though you have to slide the seat. As long as it doesn't have to go so far that it would extend the spring all the way (or twist it somehow) I think it would work.

mseller
08-23-2011, 07:36 AM
this is great! i've been wanting to do this for a while...i found these springs on my buddies center console and figured they would do the job...glad someone on here has already proven that!

x-swagger
08-23-2011, 09:25 AM
xswagger: Nice job, looks fantastic and I love mine it's save my head a bunch of bumps and bruises, not to mention my back when trying to put in the loaded cooler!!

Hey thank you bro! I followed your lead on page one, right down to the screw size. works great!

jvbaca
08-23-2011, 01:26 PM
that looks great. what cooler is that. i have an 06 x 45 and a cant find a cooler that fits.

I also saw them at a local k-mart this week I think they were 36.99.

mseller
08-24-2011, 09:40 AM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-Marine-36-Quart-Cooler/16437965 $22.98

WakePowell
08-29-2011, 07:44 PM

Here is a picture of the Mastercraft seat support I installed on my X-45. It is the one used on the X-25 and X-35.

jvbaca
08-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Hey Wake, that looks great! Does it lock in place at the top or exactly how does it work?
How much were the parts and did you do the install yourself? How hard was it to do (walk me through the steps.....). I might just change my setup someday.....

Thanks.

SKADMAN
08-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Hey Wake, that looks great! Does it lock in place at the top or exactly how does it work?
How much were the parts and did you do the install yourself? How hard was it to do (walk me through the steps.....). I might just change my setup someday.....

Thanks.

Plus one on that post. Assuming it does lock open (as I think it does) can you pull the cooler out without holding the seat open any further? Thanks

jvbaca
08-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Hey Skadman, did you review the first two pages of this post. The setup I'm using currently does exactly what you described and is super easy to put together. With my current setup the seat is "propped" open and the cooler is completely accessible for removing/installing/loading/unloading and enjoying your "refreshments"........

WakePowell
08-30-2011, 05:54 PM
The installation that I did keeps the seat propped up for easy removal or placement of the cooler as well as access for cooler use. The Mastercraft Part Number is P12487-00. It is used on the X-25 and X-35 boats. I paid $50 for the part. It did not come with the mounting screws. I had to purchase them from a local hardware store (#8 stainless screws 1 ¼” long).
I’ve attached a series of pictures of my installation. When cutting into a boat I’m one to measure twice and cut once…The first picture show placing several layers of masking tape over the area to be cut. This prevents cracking of the gel coat when drilling and cutting. I then placed the bezel piece in the location where I wanted it. I studied the geometry of how the arm would travel and the position it would lock the lid in by holding the arm piece on the lid and moving it up and down just inside the cooler cutout location in the boat. Satisfied with the location I traced the bezel piece on the tape. It is best to now remove the seat cushion so you have good access for drilling and cutting. I then drilled a hole in the large rectangular section to be cut to allow my RotoZip bit access and cut it out. With the template still on the tape I drilled the mounting screws. After the cut out is complete and the holes drilled I removed the tape and tightened the bezel in place using the #8 stainless screws. To install the arm on the lid you need to locate it so that the mount which attaches it to the lid fits inside the rectangular bezel you just installed. Again, I placed masking tape on the seat cushion bottom in the area the arm was to be mounted. With the seat cushion bottom installed and in the down position, I reached underneath to trace the rectangular cut out on to the masking tape. I reached this through the battery box area under the adjacent removable seat cushion. With the marks made on the tape I placed the arm mount and attached it using #8 stainless screws. You do not need to pre-drill these screws since the seat bottom is made out of high density plastic. The screws will self tap.
I hope this helps. It took about 30 minutes to complete.

WakePowell
08-30-2011, 06:29 PM
I forgot to mention above that I used a fine file to smooth out the opening cut with the RotoZip. The fiberglass is very thick in this area and the RotoZip worked well but the file gave it the smooth finished opening.

SKADMAN
08-31-2011, 05:04 AM
Hey Skadman, did you review the first two pages of this post. The setup I'm using currently does exactly what you described and is super easy to put together. With my current setup the seat is "propped" open and the cooler is completely accessible for removing/installing/loading/unloading and enjoying your "refreshments"........

Yes sir I did. I've subscribed to this thread so I won't loose it as I will also be doing this mod as a winter project. I really like both and I'm currently leaning toward the MC version as I like the stock OE look. But in your pics the seat looks like it is open a lot more. It's all about the "refreshments" baby! Oh and unloading a cooler full of left over (free) beverages, ice & water. My back will thank you kind gentlemen next season.

jvbaca
08-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Cool, just wanted to see which one you were leaning towards. If I would've been able to get my hands on an OEM version of this to try it installed on a boat I probably would've gone that route too! But I like the way this one opens the seat all the way and is easy to close. Good luck and post pics once your done. Enjoy the rest of your summer, y'all!

bfinley
09-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Has anyone gotten this to work on an X2?

WakePowell
09-02-2011, 07:36 AM
I don't know about an X-2 but we did but the hinges and cool seat prop on my neighbors X-15. The X-15 had a seat cushion you had to remove to get to the cooler (it was not hinged). I would think it would work on any Mastercraft boat.

CantRepeat
09-02-2011, 07:46 AM
I don't know about an X-2 but we did but the hinges and cool seat prop on my neighbors X-15. The X-15 had a seat cushion you had to remove to get to the cooler (it was not hinged). I would think it would work on any Mastercraft boat.

I pick up a set of the hinges as well. I've got a seat that is not hinged that I'd like to convert. One thing I did notice was the seat that came from the factory already hinged has threaded inserts in the seat. The king starboard is pretty thick so I would guess SS screws would hold fairly well.

WakePowell
09-02-2011, 09:37 AM
You are correct, the factory hinged seats have inserts in the bottom for mounting. On the X-15 we used stainless self-tapping screws. They did great and hold well.

bfinley
09-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Does anyone have the part number for the hinges?

bfinley
04-18-2012, 11:25 AM

yesitis
04-20-2012, 12:44 AM
I have a 2011 X15 and had hinges put on both the cooler seat cushion, as well as the cushion behind the driver. Best investment ever! Once the boat comes out of storage in a few weeks, I will snap some pictures and post. It is not a locking hinge, but it is way better than removing the cushion all the time!
Parts came from Mastercraft dealer and they installed too!

ttu
06-01-2012, 01:32 PM

hate to bring this back up but really would like to install this on my 07x2

neil.anderson63
09-17-2014, 09:10 PM
hate to bring this back up but really would like to install this on my 07x2
Ditto