PDA

View Full Version : driveway test... to fail...

chawk610
07-26-2011, 08:14 PM
OK... for those that know... I an tracing a problem that I believe leads back to the old plunger starter. Last Sunday, the breaker blew... I wanted to make this happen again, in a controlled environment. The ole' driveway fake-a-lake. Pulled it out today after work. Started and ran radio, amp, etc, to tax the system as much as possible. I made sure it never got over 150 degrees. I purposely ran for a bit, then killed, then started back up...run, thenkill. After about 7 start stops... about 90 min of this, the breaker flipped... 20 min in and it is still flipping... I assume it will be until the whole thing cools??? So... guys, will an ARCO starter fix this???

chawk610
07-26-2011, 08:26 PM
I will say... the heavy wire going from selinoid to starter is pretty green

chawk610
07-26-2011, 08:53 PM
an hour later... still will not stay in....

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Does it trip when your cranking or just random while running, My guess a weak circuit breaker, I would clean the corrosion and replace the breaker.

chawk610
07-26-2011, 09:30 PM
it only happens after running for a while. thats why i ran it in the drivway today.. on the F-A-L

chawk610
07-26-2011, 09:31 PM
this breaker thing happened for the first time Sunday... before this... the boat would just not crank after being out all day.. the end of the day it would almost always let us down...

thatsmrmastercraft
07-26-2011, 11:07 PM
I will say... the heavy wire going from selinoid to starter is pretty green

It's really cool that you managed to replicate your problem in the driveway. I would replace that starter cable and repeat your test.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Agree, I see check for battery voltages at solenoid and starter you very well could have a starter pulling to many amps when you try to crank. When was the last time starter motor was removed for its service, greasing the shaft and gear, if its all rusty and gunked up might have to replace or rebuild the starter motor.

chawk610
07-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Well... I have not serviced the starter... I have had the girl since last June... Replacing the starter is definately going to happen... it is 28 years old, so I think an upgrade is in order. I have read many posts similar to mine... all have come to the same conclusion. The old plunger style starter was the issue.

As of this morning, the breaker button will STILL not stay in.

oldairboater
07-27-2011, 07:24 AM
I wonder if the circuit breaker is going bad. Since you have cleaned all your cable ends and grounds. Doesn't hurt to service the starter but if breaker trips just running I would start to suspect the circuit breaker. I have had them go bad on my motorcycle and truck before but never my boat.

lav
07-27-2011, 07:33 AM
Did you try reapeated starts since you think it may be the starter?
Maybe the starter is the cause and the extra drag on it is creating more load on the electrical circut which is then creating heat in the electrical system and then causing that breaker to trip after repeated start cycles

chawk610
07-27-2011, 07:41 AM
That is actually what I am thinking... yes. Yesterday I would run it for 15 min or so, then kill it... wait 2-3 min, and start it back up... I knew eventually it would fail... which is what I was trying to make happen.

chawk610
07-27-2011, 07:41 AM
I am not a mechanic... so excuse the ignorance... but is the starter "doing" anything after the motor is running????

oldairboater
07-27-2011, 08:10 AM
The starter draws no voltage unless you are trying to start your boat engine----normally. Your starter isn't the problem if the boat quits running and the circuit breaker pops when you are not engaging the starter motor.

chawk610
07-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Gotcha... but actually, what has been happening up until Sunday when the breaker popped was it would not turn over late in the day after running all day. This breaker thing just started happening. So, the starter going bad couldn't cause the breaker to pop?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Thinking out loud..................what if the starter solenoid was hanging up with just enough contact to be a draw, but not enough contact to engage the starter? Normally solenoids work or fail, but occasionally they will do some weird things on the way out.

A starter replacement would be a fine thing to do. Yet another upgrade that is well worth the money. Of course a marine starter is a must.

Table Rocker
07-27-2011, 10:26 AM
I would replace the breaker and go from there. If the breaker was going bad and had a corroded connection inside, it would put resistance in the line going to your starter (and everything else) making for slow cranking etc. Resistance goes up with heat, so when the breaker cools down it makes a better connection and when it heats up it gets worse.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-27-2011, 10:47 AM
I would replace the breaker and go from there. If the breaker was going bad and had a corroded connection inside, it would put resistance in the line going to your starter (and everything else) making for slow cranking etc. Resistance goes up with heat, so when the breaker cools down it makes a better connection and when it heats up it gets worse.

Good point. And here-in lies the fun/trouble of working with the older boats..............our old friend corrosion.

Table Rocker
07-27-2011, 11:32 AM
One thing you can do is take a pair of jumper cables and jump from your battery positive to the battery post on your starter solenoid (not the starter post on the other side). That way you have bypassed the breaker. Keep an eye on everything. If you see any problem you need to disconnect the jumper. See what your starter cranks like when it is hooked up like this and you will have an idea if it is upstream (breaker) or downstream (solenoid & starter)

chawk610
07-27-2011, 11:51 AM
great idea.... I will do that today.

Gofast
07-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Checking in to follow.

If you pull the starter, some Autozones ( not all ) can check the starter and see if it is pulling to much current when starting.

I would replace the cable first since it is cheapest, sounds like corroision is all thru the cable.

How close are you? I'm in McKinney if you need help.

Rob

chawk610
07-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the offer Rob, I have been enlisting my father for help when needed (he is a mechanic), but I appreciate the offer! I am actually going to go ahead and replace the starter as it is a minor expense... I believe it comes with all new wires as well. I will order it Friday prolly... so we should know something by the following!!!

Gofast
07-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Cool, It's good to have a Dad like that......Hopefully see you at the lake some time.

Rob

chawk610
07-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Def... I am at Lewisville about every other weekend...