PDA

View Full Version : LT1 cranks, no start

formosa
07-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Hi all,
My 1995 LT1 (200 VRS) is cranking but not starting. I've been scanning the forum for past posts ... history, the boat was stolen and sunk last year. Got it running again prior to putting up for the winter (needed a crank sensor). This year, been working on all the interior replacement, security, etc. Now just about ready to put back on the water... Just replaced the starter, alternator, and wiring harness, plugs, all the fluids etc. First thing is that the fuel pump was bad as well as the fuel relay. Replaced both, now getting the 2 second prime when turning on the key. The gauges all work and the kill switch is bypassed (thanks to the crooks).

1. Purple to the alternator is 12 v.
2. C3 "red" to the ICM is 12 v.

What to check next?

I called my mechanic (who is Mastercraft certified and makes house calls) - but he's been tied up. Thanks for all your help.

1redTA
07-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Have you scanned for any codes? fuel pressure should be around 58 psi

formosa
07-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Don't have a code scanner, or fuel pressure tester - although I read you can sometimes borrow one from auto parts store. That sounds like the next test (fuel pressure) - I'll work on that.

formosa
07-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Problem solved. I checked both crank position sensors resistance - they were 530 and 540 (this is below the published spec of 800-1200). But since both were about the same, I went back to the question - do I have fuel?

I reported that I had heard the fuel pump prime. I obviously had not heard the pump but something else...

I rechecked the voltage of the relay when key on - 12 v for 1-2 seconds. I decided to then "run" the fuel pump manually by jumping the relay harness (pink "hot" to "grey" pump +) with key on. Result, fuel pump did not run! - I then checked the connection clip that connects to the fuel pump. Wiggling it the pump ran. I tightened the connectors and re-clipped to the pump. It ran and continued to run. I then replaced the relay and the boat started up and idled fine :).

Thanks 1redTA!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Sweet success.:toast: