PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat cracks..ahhhhh!!!

bonedoc
08-26-2004, 03:00 PM
Just wanted a few people's opinion on this...

Bought a new '04 X2 this spring, just have 50 hours on it. The boat has never been hit, beached, docked, or abused. It's either on its trailer, or in the water. After washing and waxing it and really getting a good look at it, I noticed many cracks in both the hull and upper deck. The hull has a 7" or longer crack running from the back right transom, up and around the driver's side of the boat. I noticerd another crack in the gel coat about an inch long, running from the transom down under the boat above the prop. I noticed this crack before the last time I used the boat, and after using it for the day, noticed that the crack had turned into a chip about half-nickle size right down to the black fiberglass. Also have 2 or 3 cracks around the left posterior waketower mount.

My question is, how well can all this cracking be fixed, and why did it happen in the first place? Should I be getting it fixed, or pushing for a new hull if there is already this much cracking after only 50 hours?

Thanks.

MarkP
08-26-2004, 03:04 PM
Read.. http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=406&page=1&pp=10

bcampbe7
08-26-2004, 03:04 PM
I would push very hard to get the hull replaced.

JMT
08-26-2004, 07:38 PM
I've got an 04 PS 209 (built in November, delivered to the dealer in late January), also with cracks in the gelcoat. I've taken pictures, written MasterCraft, spoken with MasterCraft's warranty department and spoken with the district rep. All have indicated that the cracks will be fixed, but if this is a widespread problem (and will keep occuring), I want to push for a new hull, too. Keep me posted on your experience.

lakes Rick
08-27-2004, 12:08 AM
Sounds like Jose' used a little too much hardener in the resin....

bonedoc
08-27-2004, 01:02 AM
yeah, i'm not sure why the cracks....just bugs me when these things happen to a $65000 boat. My cousin's 15 year old sanger is crack free, as is my buddies caravelle and glastron.

I was wondering if there hadn't ben some previous damage to the boat pre-purchase or at the factory, because there is an oval spot about the size of a small kid's football on the left rear of the hull which has discolored slightly mocha brown (hull is white). No amount of washing or buffing will remove it, and as I have mentioned, the boat doesn't sit in the water still long enough for the greenies to grow on it. Thought it might be an area that was patched before I bought the boat. The dealership swears not to their knowledge, but that they aren't sure if anything happened at the factory or in transport that was fixed prior to them receiving it.

H20skeefreek
08-27-2004, 07:40 AM
yeah, i'm not sure why the cracks....just bugs me when these things happen to a $65000 boat. My cousin's 15 year old sanger is crack free, as is my buddies caravelle and glastron.

I was wondering if there hadn't ben some previous damage to the boat pre-purchase or at the factory, because there is an oval spot about the size of a small kid's football on the left rear of the hull which has discolored slightly mocha brown (hull is white). No amount of washing or buffing will remove it, and as I have mentioned, the boat doesn't sit in the water still long enough for the greenies to grow on it. Thought it might be an area that was patched before I bought the boat. The dealership swears not to their knowledge, but that they aren't sure if anything happened at the factory or in transport that was fixed prior to them receiving it.

my parents bought a 1985 chevy station wagon. the dealership claimed that nothing had happened to it, but they kept having all kinds of problems. when my dad finally got it on a lift, everything underneath had been crushed. we finally found out that it had been DROPPED onto another car on the transporter, and then fixed and sold, so just b/c the dealer says nothing happened doesn't mean nothing happened.

if it can be fixed have it fixed, we don't want to overuse this "replace the hull" option, as they will lose too much money and get MUCH tougher on warranty. Though it sounds like to me, you probably do need a new hull. See if i can get the old one though :D :D :D

lakes Rick
08-27-2004, 01:30 PM
H2O, What a deal on that car... My biggest fear..

My biggest fear is buying a new car and getting one of the "bad designs" we will know about in the future.. Caddilac 4100 engine, Fords older truck brake designs.. My 01 chev pickup has the "cold start knock" that GM claims is "normal"... They will not do anything about it.. Fortunately no problems yet.. Too bad, other than that it is a really nice truck.......

You buy something new, expecting it to be trouble free, and it is nothing but a lemon.....

aprgriggs
08-27-2004, 02:04 PM
yeah, i'm not sure why the cracks....

My 2003 X10 had the same problem. The factory had a bad mix....they replaced the hull and gave me a free chrome package. They took great care of me, however the boat was put back together sloppy and I am going to switch to a new 2005 X9.

Hope this helps...good luck.

peason
08-28-2004, 03:15 PM
See the thread I submitted on 8/26/04. MC is replacing my hull after getting it repaired locally. The repair areas did not match the original color, and I found more cracks. My 209's hull is black and when I got it back this spring, every where that a repair was made was darker black than the surrounding area. Sounds like MC has been having problems with the gel coat- I saw an article in the Star magazine concering the same isssue - that owner was able to trade up into a newer year.

mitch
08-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Was at my local MC dealer 2 weeks ago and noticed many gel cracks on a brand new black 04 X2. There were about 5-6 cracks extending from the 2 transom rings. Hope they make good for ya.

Chris M
08-30-2004, 07:59 PM
ps 197 04 Black and red metal flake. I also have cracks in the gelcoat along the transom rings. Bottom of boat is white, Are the cracks noticable in the white.

NeilM
08-31-2004, 01:53 AM
Bonedoc, I'd also recommend you push for a new hull, or, given the fact you've only got 50 hours on it, (and your distance from the factory) an entirely new boat. (I've had this done before with a non-MasterCraft brand) You are right. There is no excuse. Make sure that Martins Watersports is on your side, and have them go to bat for you. They sell enough boats to have a fairly loud voice..

Leroy
08-31-2004, 04:19 PM
Speaking of bad car purchases, my first car was a Chevy Vega, with ~70k miles. THey say you learn a lot from painful experiences, probably the most education I ever received for $1K, really stuck with me even 30 years later. That money was a lot of hay and yards at ~$1-$2/hr.

lakes Rick
08-31-2004, 05:34 PM
Speaking of bad car purchases, my first car was a Chevy Vega, with ~70k miles. THey say you learn a lot from painful experiences, probably the most education I ever received for $1K, really stuck with me even 30 years later. That money was a lot of hay and yards at ~$1-$2/hr.

Leroy, you mean the car that "rusted while still in the showroom'??
The Vega was certainly a boo boo.. They make great drag cars though..

I also remember those days of $1.50 an hour.. Good thing things were alot cheaper then.....

Michael Epp
09-02-2004, 12:07 AM
I've only noticed a few gel coat cracks on my 04 X-10 (around the exhaust outlets). I'll check again during my final clean-up before storage. Maybe I was just lucky! I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your X-2. I trust our local dealer is adequately responding to your complaints.

bonedoc
09-02-2004, 12:55 PM
I'll update you on the gel coat crack thing.......

Talked with my dealer, and he was really quite good about everything. He too is frustrated with the amount of cracking since emissions regulations have limited the amounts of lead and styrene they are allowed to use in the resin and gel now. Since 2000-2001, all makes of new boats are far more "brittle" than previous because of this. He added that, as a dealer, they are faced with even more problems during our cold winters up here. Just taking boats in and out of the showroom or service shop can "spiderweb" the gel coat full of cracks if they aren't careful with the new brittle gelcoat.

Mastercraft has approved repair on the cracks I mentioned before. However, after getting the boat back yesterday, I noticed a crack along the whole length of the right transom where it meets the hull, and another large crack around the corner of the hull on the left side of the boat where the sidewall and transom meet it. This weekend I am going to go over every inch of the boat with a flashlight, and document the cracks on a drawing in addition to photographing them. I guess the additional cracking may play a difference in Mastercraft's decision to repair or replace.

I will also mention that my dealer did offer the option to let me trade into a 2005 for whatever price difference there is. I would imagine Mastercraft would also offer some incentive to make this avenue more attractive/affordable if that is what I choose, but the actual dollar difference was not discussed.

I will keep you updated on this as things go down. Yes, gel cracks are only cosmetic, to a point. Water can migrate under gelcoat to cause leaks and erosions in the fiberglass layers. All gell cracks will lead to fiberglass breaking down over time, and will allow the fiberglass to absorb water eventually creating a "waterlogged" boat. And, as happened with my boat, they can lead to chunks of gelcoat being blown right off the boat in high-pressure areas like those on the transom and hull above the prop.

And yes ChrisM, white is probably one of the most noticeable colors to have cracks in.

gene dobies
09-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi Chris. Love to see a pic of your boat, sounds like a neat color scheme.

aprgriggs
09-02-2004, 02:18 PM
I will also mention that my dealer did offer the option to let me trade into a 2005 for whatever price difference there is. .

Becareful the price went up between 04 and 05. MC needs to give you some assistance, maybe that will eat up some of the cost. Again good Luck.

G-man
09-02-2004, 02:35 PM
if you need help photographing your cracks to show up in gel coat mark over them with a grease pencil then rub over the cracks with a paper towel , they fill with wax and show up in the photos.I would go for the 05 boat and get a fresh start.

MYMC
09-02-2004, 02:36 PM
2004 X2 MSRP= $47,670
2005 X2 MSRP= $47,935
Price increase= $265

The average overall price increase for MasterCraft going into 2005 is 1%. Given the headaches and issues that I know BoneDoc has been through I doubt even the most zealous dealer on earth would attempt to collect the difference.

bonedoc
09-05-2004, 12:02 AM
well, almost done the inch by inch "crack check"...

so far, no more on the top deck other than the ones already mentioned around the rear tower mount...

up to six cracks on the hull, ranging between 3/4" and almost 24"....I'll get to the front half of the boat tomorrow..... :confused:

Chris M
09-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Hi Chris. Love to see a pic of your boat, sounds like a neat color scheme.
I,m new to this site. And I need to figure out how to upload a picture of my boat.