PDA

View Full Version : how to turn a weighted boat?

bikeman
07-25-2011, 09:00 PM
we haven't surfed a lots so I haven't learned the hard way yet ; )

if i have the port side loaded down and rub rail almost in the water for surfing, which way is the safer way to turn it around to pick up a fallen rider? to the left or to the right?
I'm in a PS205 FWIW...

Thrall
07-25-2011, 09:07 PM
If I try to turn left, I sink the nose real easily espically if the water is rough at all.
Stop, let your rollers by, hit reverse even for a couple sec, turn right SLOWLY to turn around is what I do.
If some of your ballast is poeple, if they can move to starboard side for the turnaround that helps a bunch too.

dsword
07-25-2011, 09:13 PM
I have a 2007 X2. When surfing with the left side weighted my boat wants to go right as soon as I chop the throttle to pick up a rider. I straighten it out and let the wake pass and then turn left.

Thrall
07-25-2011, 09:21 PM
If I chop the throttle in anything much worse than calm water, mine trys to take a drink. I have to back down somewhat slowly off the throttle.
This is with factory port and kgb full and about 1400lbs of people and water ballast + driver.

Tmoney
07-26-2011, 02:21 AM
I have a prostar 205 also, how much and with what do u weight it down with?

agarabaghi
07-26-2011, 07:37 AM
I have an X1 (205v) and we fill up 750 in the port locker, and 560lbs of lead in the nose. Let off throttle easy... bump into reverse turn starboard side

gatorguy
07-26-2011, 09:54 AM
For my PS205 I put 2 750# fat sacks in an "L" on the side I am surfing. Get a great wake, but want to try and make it bigger someday. I have to slow down slowly or it looks like the wave is going to come in over the back of the boat. Once we're at idle speed I can turn either way with no problems. It does drive like a tank though when weighted down.

Cobra Rob
07-26-2011, 12:01 PM
I was going to post about the same question. I am about to buy some sacks and I am already a little nervous when loaded for surf. Right now just using the stock rear and KGB. If we have 4-5 people on the weighted side of the boat it almost feels like it wants to roll. I am sure it takes way more than I am thinking but still. Before I add another 1000 in locker and 400 in walkway I want a better idea.

So when I am driving it's usually all goofy people :( Drivers side is weighted down. I let off the throttle pretty quick and almost immediately cut to the right. The boat will settle down and right about the time the wave gets past us it will start to turn right.. then I just get in gear and put back.

I see people saying turn towards the highside????? If I turn left I fell like the low side dips low enough with anymore weight it will roll right over? I almost always turn towards the low side.

I surf normal so it would be reversed for my driver.

What's the proper direction to turn towards low side or high side?

jamisonsbrodie
07-26-2011, 02:22 PM
I always turn to opposite side of the weight. It makes for a much drier and mucher smoother ride for the passengers. If surfing left side, slow down to neutral and slowly turn to the right. You can also go to neutral and keep facing forward and let the wake pass through and then turn to the right thereby missing all the waves back to the rider. If you turn to the left (while surfing left), you will always have to pound through waves going back to the rider.

Cobra Rob
07-26-2011, 04:13 PM
I always turn to opposite side of the weight. It makes for a much drier and mucher smoother ride for the passengers. If surfing left side, slow down to neutral and slowly turn to the right. You can also go to neutral and keep facing forward and left the wake pass through and then turn to the right thereby missing all the waves back to the rider. If you turn to the left (while surfing left), you will always have to pound through waves going back to the rider.

I usually wait till after the waves to pass before turning. You don't feel like if you turn the opposite direction the weighted side goes a lot further down making the boat lean even more?

jamisonsbrodie
07-26-2011, 05:03 PM
I turn at idle speed, as to not dip the boat even more than it already is. I do usually wait until the wave passes, depending on which boat I am in.