PDA

View Full Version : "Purple Power" cleaner - WOW

jimmer2880
07-25-2011, 05:11 PM
I have always used carb and choke cleaner, TBI cleaner, etc to clean my spark arrestor. However, it's been a few years :o since I cleaned it last. After finishing off a can of cleaner, I remembered I had a jug of Purple Power cleaner (buy it at walmart, lowes, napa, etc). I poured the gallon of straight PP into a 5 gallon bucket. Dropped my spark arrestor into it and swished it around for about 2 minutes.

WOW - it shines like I've never, EVER seen a spark arrestor shine. Even better, from that one washing alone, I gained 1.5 mph on my top end speed :) :) :)

WOOHOO for the PP. Another use for that awesome product.

Dino Don
07-26-2011, 12:26 AM
It's good stuff!

DooSPX
07-26-2011, 10:28 AM
where are the pictures man? lol

Hawksinkalispell
07-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Read your post and gave it a shot. I used some water with the concentrate and it cleaned it perfectly. I was running my boat this weekend at WOT and it was hitting about 4150 RPM, had some flooding issues (I guess) and pulled the spark arrester and was hitting 4250 at WOT with me holding the hatch and watching the Carb. Maybe their was some major restriction in the Arrestor that is hopefully cleaned up.

TxsRiverRat
07-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Try mixing it into your Dr. Pepper and see what it does for your waterskiing

:D

rjracin240
07-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Use it or the Castrol cleaner for the valve aluminum valve covers on my Datsun's/Nissan's. works amazing and looks like it was just cast. Should work good for clean the oil and sludge out of the boat valve covers or other area's

Thrall
07-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Use it or the Castrol cleaner for the valve aluminum valve covers on my Datsun's/Nissan's. works amazing and looks like it was just cast. Should work good for clean the oil and sludge out of the boat valve covers or other area's

I'll have try it on the aluminum on my sled trailer. Nothing othr than polishing cleans it up and I'm not about to go thru that much brain damage jsut to drive it on salty roads.

Jimmer,
just curious, how's your flame arrestor get so dirty?
I never had to clean mine on my 96 in 8years and over 300hrs. Did it when I bought the boat just because, but it stayed clean. Lots of dust storms when you're out boating of somrthing?

1985 Skiier
07-28-2011, 02:02 AM
8 years 300 hours no wonder it is still clean

Thrall
07-28-2011, 02:15 PM
8 years 300 hours no wonder it is still clean

Hahaha yeah, not as lucky as some!

d2jp
07-28-2011, 02:32 PM
I purchased my '89 in June with only 325 hours....last service was done in 2006 at 306 hours....

FYI - be care with Purple Power, Greased Lightning, orange citrus, etc as many of these will etch aluminum especially if left on at full strength.

wrobins1
07-28-2011, 03:54 PM
If used with magic easer it works well to remove (extremely) stubborn stains on interior however I would raise well afterwards

Scot
07-28-2011, 04:12 PM
I've used everything working on greasy auto parts.... while while Purple Power works really good, Super Clean actually works a bit better. Some will say they are identical, but in my experience one works better than the other. Be careful on plastics, alluminum, paint, and hands.... says it's bio degradable, but it will strip every bit of moisture from your hands and it will hurt.... I've used it in a utra sonic jewlery cleaner to clean nuts, bolts, brackets, clamps, or anything small...

jimmer2880
08-01-2011, 04:54 PM
I'll have try it on the aluminum on my sled trailer. Nothing othr than polishing cleans it up and I'm not about to go thru that much brain damage jsut to drive it on salty roads.

Jimmer,
just curious, how's your flame arrestor get so dirty?
I never had to clean mine on my 96 in 8years and over 300hrs. Did it when I bought the boat just because, but it stayed clean. Lots of dust storms when you're out boating of somrthing?

I have 1100 hours on my '95. No idea how it got dirty, it just did.

Hawksinkalispell
08-02-2011, 10:51 AM
I was having issues with hard starting and not idleing and after going through the whole fuel system, I cleaned the Spark arrester with the Purple power and the boats runs the best it has in a long time.

I believe the other items needed to be done but cleaning the spark arrester should be one of the first things listed when a boat is having issues, sometimes it's not fuel but Air that the boat is starving for.