PDA

View Full Version : 06 X1 Stereo Head Unit

ridehype4life
07-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Hey there,

Quick question: We have a 2006 X1 with some issues with the factory stereo. Since the beginning of the season we've been getting a whine out of our front speakers, and the tower speakers haven't been working whatsoever. We had the dealer check it out and they told us the head unit was the culprit...

I'm 99% sure the head unit in the boat is the Clarion CMD4. I'd like to do the swap myself. Would the CMD7 be a direct swap out, and if so, is there anything I should know before going at it? Is there a different head unit y'all would recommend?

Also, is this even a decent price on this unit? http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-CMD7-Watertight-Receiver-Control/dp/B004UJNLLC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311605783&sr=8-1

Thanks guys!

CantRepeat
07-25-2011, 11:12 AM
I do not believe the remotes for your CMD4 will work with the CMD7. Someone mentioned an adapter that is not in production anymore and is tough to find. So you're probably looking at new remotes and possibly new remote cable.

agarabaghi
07-25-2011, 11:12 AM
That price is good. When i went to replace my cmd4 i couldnt find anything cheaper than $399 + having to buy a new remote and wire etc...

does your remote still work? If not you might wanna look at the sony solution. Its much much cheaper and just as good for a boat

ridehype4life
07-26-2011, 09:35 AM
We have one remote at the driver's seat, and it still works fine.

Any further confirmation that this will have to be replaced with the CMD7?

ridehype4life
07-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Can anyone tell me if the Clarion MW1 and MW2 remotes will work with the CMD7? Some sites say they are, but on the Amazon page for the remotes the CMD7 head unit isn't listed...

agarabaghi, which Sony unit are you talking about? And what extension cable would it require?

agarabaghi
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
The old remotes have a different wire. i remember reading some where about an adaptor to make the old remote work with the newer headunits...

kevinmccoy11
07-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Just replaced my stock clarion with an upgraded clarion m309. It plugged straight in, however I had to purchase a new remote and cable. The new remote/stereo works great with my Iphone. The only down side is the remote is huge and wouldn't fit in the same spot as the original one. (So it looks goofy with the old remote still there) Also got a good deal on amazon, saved a lot compared to bestbuy or any other stereo site.