PDA

View Full Version : Temp Gauge????

erkoehler
07-27-2005, 11:01 PM
The last two times out, the temp on the boat goes up when I leave it idle even if for just a minute or two while switching skiers/footers. It will go back down as soon as I get going again, but why is it doing this? If I rev the engine in nuetral, that will also bring the temp down to the normal range. So, while it is revving and at skiing speeds it is fine, but idling or slow cruising and it will rise way UP!!! Any clues on what could be causing this?

I am taking the boat in for an oil change and trans fluid change Friday, so I may have them take a peak at the impellor, but I am leaving for vacation tomorrow to our lake house! I really don't want any problems :eek:

6ballsisall
07-27-2005, 11:06 PM
I'd check the impeller and check the fresh water pickup line first. Is your water pump leaking or dripping?

erkoehler
07-27-2005, 11:08 PM
THe impellor was supposed to be new when I bought the boat in May, but I will check it.

As far as the leaking water, I am not sure. I did notice a decent amount of water in the bilge, more than normal after our ski tonight, but I just thought it was from wet skiers, and the wet carpet from the bucket loads of rain we had over the last day or so.

JimN
07-27-2005, 11:15 PM
If you don't make a habit of checking the oil cooler frequently, start now. If you have any weeds in the water where you ski, especially Eurasian Milfoil (or any other flat-leafed weed), it doesn't take much to clog it to the point that it passes very little water. Once it's partially clogged, any sticks or anything else become instant problems.

The longer the impeller is run dry, the faster it goes away, new or not. Also, when the impeller is changed, the gasket should be replaced. I can't think of a single reason a dealer would carry the impeller by itself. They are available as a kit and separately, but the only single part I would consider stocking is the gasket since it's pretty delicate.

erkoehler
07-27-2005, 11:17 PM
If you don't make a habit of checking the oil cooler frequently, start now. If you have any weeds in the water where you ski, especially Eurasian Milfoil (or any other flat-leafed weed), it doesn't take much to clog it to the point that it passes very little water. Once it's partially clogged, any sticks or anything else become instant problems. The longer the impeller is run dry, the faster it goes away, new or not.

I have never felt, or seen any weeds, but the water is dirty in the river.....

Can you run me through what to check and how to do it???

6ballsisall
07-27-2005, 11:18 PM
If you don't make a habit of checking the oil cooler frequently, start now. If you have any weeds in the water where you ski, especially Eurasian Milfoil (or any other flat-leafed weed), it doesn't take much to clog it to the point that it passes very little water. Once it's partially clogged, any sticks or anything else become instant problems. The longer the impeller is run dry, the faster it goes away, new or not.

Holy mackerel!! Not only are you a whiz with boats but you know plants too? Jim, did you help publish encyclopedias?

ski_king
07-27-2005, 11:19 PM
The last two times out, the temp on the boat goes up when I leave it idle even if for just a minute or two while switching skiers/footers. It will go back down as soon as I get going again, but why is it doing this? If I rev the engine in nuetral, that will also bring the temp down to the normal range. So, while it is revving and at skiing speeds it is fine, but idling or slow cruising and it will rise way UP!!! Any clues on what could be causing this?
I am thinking maybe thermostat?

You may want to update your profile, it still says "no boat yet", I was trying to remember which engine you have.

erkoehler
07-27-2005, 11:21 PM
I have the 275 hp efi, 350 tbi

Oh, and I updated the profile. Thanks for the reminder :D

JimN
07-27-2005, 11:27 PM
The only reason I know anything about that particular plant is that there was a notice at the Lauderdale Lake public launch with photos and instructions about removing it from boats and trailers before launching at the lake. I also removed a lot of it from people's oil coolers. Most temperature related issues were caused by clogged oil coolers and most impeller issues were from being run dry unless the impeller was just old. Both were waaaayyyyyy too common, if you ask me. It takes so little time to check an oil cooler and it would have saved a lot of time, money and frustration for the boat owners if they would just do what is recommended. The problem is, when people have a lot of money, they apparently think that none of this stuff is necessary, it magically disappears or someone else shoule do it for them. I don't mind the last part but they should have it done before they take the boat out, not after it develops a problem.

Cleaning the oil cooler is easier on a lift or trailer than in the water due to the fact that out of the water, there's no water pressure. Either way, the hull side of the hose to the oil cooler comes off by loosening the hose clamp, then I removed any material with a set of forceps I bought at Radio Shack. Tweezers work, too. Whatever is used needs to fit into the angle to get all of the material. Then, the hose goes back on and the clamp is tightened. I don't bother with screwdrivers on hose clamps. Slotted screws suck and I don't bother with trying to use anything but a ratchet (usually 5/16") because it takes almost no time to tighten the clamp this way.

erkoehler
07-27-2005, 11:40 PM
Thanks, I'll go check now.

erkoehler
07-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Okay, I went out and took a look at it, and I think the impeller is done for! How do I get it out? Just pull????

erkoehler
07-27-2005, 11:57 PM
I got it out, pics to follow.....

erkoehler
07-28-2005, 12:05 AM
It definetly wasn't replaced in the last couple years! I am not happy with Hern Marine right now.....

erkoehler
07-28-2005, 12:05 AM
Pretty sad looking :mad:

erkoehler
07-28-2005, 12:06 AM
This couldn't of happened in 50 hours could it????

erkoehler
07-28-2005, 12:07 AM
Last one..... :eek:

Hillbillytoober
07-28-2005, 12:27 AM
deer sir i dont clame to be a meckanic but i belive u may have a problum thar

AirJunky
07-28-2005, 12:31 AM
This couldn't of happened in 50 hours could it????
Of course it could. Especially if there is other garbage in the cooling system, ie; sticks, weeds, etc. Start pulling all the hoses & cleaning out everything you can reach.

erkoehler
07-28-2005, 12:40 AM
I pulled off all the hoses that I could see/get too!!!! Looked in with flash light, and got some impeller pieces out, but I have a feeling some of them already passed through the system, or are where I can't see them!

I will let you know how it runs when I get back from vacation a week from Sunday!

BriEOD
07-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Eric--save yourself some heartache and get a strainer. They aren't that expensive and will save you from pulling off hoses again.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SHE18016

Also, let me get this straight you are going to pay to have the dealer change your oil and tranny fluid? I hope they gave you a free service at 50 hours. I can't imagine that is cheap and it's not that technical that you couldn't do yourself.

bcampbe7
07-28-2005, 08:16 AM
I pulled off all the hoses that I could see/get too!!!! Looked in with flash light, and got some impeller pieces out, but I have a feeling some of them already passed through the system, or are where I can't see them!

I will let you know how it runs when I get back from vacation a week from Sunday!

The oil cooler is before the impeller. Did you pull those hoses and check for debris?

erkoehler
07-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Yep, I do believe I have a clean system now!

I am paying for an oil change only because I just ran out of time before we leave for vacation.

BriEOD
07-28-2005, 08:58 AM
How much do they charge?

JEREMY79
07-28-2005, 09:00 AM
more than i would pay

BriEOD
07-28-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm with you Jeremy but it's not my boat or my money.

JEREMY79
07-28-2005, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I like to keep my money more than that.

erkoehler
07-28-2005, 09:19 AM
How much do they charge?

They are doing oil and trans fluid for $100! I will learn to do it myself, but I don't have time before this trip.....poor planning on my part, but I would rather ski as much as possible then give the dealer an hour to change it rather than me take 5 to learn how. I am also trying to establish a relationship with the dealer, since I will likely be using them for all of my service and tech questions.

bcampbe7
07-28-2005, 09:20 AM
I am also trying to establish a relationship with the dealer, since I will likely be using them for all of my service and tech questions.

Tip them $50. You will be in like Flin then...

JEREMY79
07-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Erk I understand you not wanting to lean this go round but, for $100 I can change my oil aprox. 8.345 times.

smsunman1
07-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Hundred bucks is not that bad if that includes materials. I think I paid $7 or $8 a quart for the oil this year. It was Mobil straight 50 I think. Then the filter $7 and tranny oil. Total around $57 for the parts. I still like to do it myself though.

Crash
08-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Of course it could. Especially if there is other garbage in the cooling system, ie; sticks, weeds, etc. Start pulling all the hoses & cleaning out everything you can reach.

CHECK YOUR SCREENS!! After JimN gave us a lesson on Eurasian Watermilfoil I decided to check mine and was shocked my boat wasn't overheating. The screen was covered with weeds.

sizzler
08-04-2005, 10:36 AM
we have loads of weeds on our lake at the mom....i go under the boat on the lift and clean the weeds away every morning i'm at the lake....

better to be safe than sorry