PDA

View Full Version : Maristar 200 or 225?

toolz
07-25-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm a MasterCraft newby, trying to decide between 2 boats. They are:

1998 Maristar VRS200, 110 hours, LT1 engine, single axle trailer.

1998 Maristar VRS225, 300 hours, standard engine, tandem axle trailer.

Both are very nice, no vinyl issues, near spotless exterior, virtually identical condition, no towers, and the price is the same. I like the low hours and big motor with the 200, but I like the room and tandem trailer with the 225. I have decided that it's one of these two boats for me, just looking for your experience and ideas. Thanks-

-V-
07-25-2011, 11:29 AM
find out about maintenance that has been done on the boat. look at what they drive and the condition that thier vehicles are in (it will tell you how they kept up with thier boat), you also want to test drive both of them, you might alos want to find out exactly what you want to do with the boat, and lastly tandem axles are a very good thing, but are heavier and cost mroe in upkeep.

Double D
07-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Need visual assistance.... :D:D

-V-
07-25-2011, 11:31 AM
i agree with Double D

Gofast
07-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Also, there is not enough differance in the hours bewtween the boats to really worry about it. If you were talking 1000 vs 100, then it would make a differance. Both motors are really reliable and will last thousands of hours if you maintane them.

I agree with -V- and Double D, need pics and how were they treated.....

Rob

PS, I would vote for the extra room, everything else being equal.

toolz
07-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Also, there is not enough differance in the hours bewtween the boats to really worry about it. If you were talking 1000 vs 100, then it would make a differance. Both motors are really reliable and will last thousands of hours if you maintane them.

I agree with -V- and Double D, need pics and how were they treated.....

Rob

PS, I would vote for the extra room, everything else being equal.

Didn't think the hours matered that much. Both boats look great, but pics always look better than the real thing. I won't be buying without a serious inspection. What's your thoughts on the difference in power?

-V-
07-25-2011, 12:25 PM
all depends on what you plan on having in the boat (people, ballast, gear) and what you plan on doing (surf - barefoot) so you kind of have to be more helpful there.

I can have a aluminum fishing boat with a 9.9 on the back that would be better than a 50 horse johnson on some lakes. so it all depends on what you want to do.

Gofast
07-25-2011, 01:46 PM
I don't think power will be a problem. ( yes I would prefer the LT1, but only because it says Corevette on top )

If you run a lot of people and add weight for surfing or bigger wake, then I would look at calling Eric and swapping to a different prop.

The boats will max out around 45 mph either way. I hardley ever go over 30 in our boat. I'll never be the fastest across the lake. We surf and wakeboard so most of our time is spent below 25 mph.

Both motors have more than enough power to work well. Gearing ( meaning a prop swap ) will correct for any low end power loss if you add weight to the boat.

Rob

The8Ball
07-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Get the LT1. Single axle trailer is fine.

FrankSchwab
07-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Man, you're right up my alley.

I second the comments about power. I have the 308 HP MX-Plus (standard) engine in mine, and it has plenty of get-up-and-go. The only time I've ever firewalled the throttle with skiers on the line was pulling up three slalom. And, if you don't have the throttle buried, you're not short on power. I'd pay extra to get one with the LT-1 just for the Corvette look - the LT-1 just looks so bad-*ss in the engine compartment. But it won't change much of anything about the usefulness of the boat. There is a downside to the LT-1 - the cooling system is a bit more persnickety than the non-LT1 - but its certainly manageable.

I pull mine all over the place on a single-axle trailer. Saguaro Lake is an hour away, Lake Powell is almost 300 miles away. A dual-axle would be nicer, but not necessary.
Pros for the single axle:
1. Maneuvers easier, great for gettting it into my backyard.
Cons:
2. Ride is rougher on the boat than a dual - going over speed bumps is a prime example.
3. Tires in the appropriate load range are harder to come by

As for space, the 200 has plenty of room for up to 4 adults and 4 kids. You can throw in an extra adult or a couple extra kids, but things start getting a bit too tight. If you're normally taking a big crew, get the bigger boat. Otherwise, the 200 is a couple of feet shorter and 600 pounds lighter, and will be easier to tow around (if you're going to do that).

There aren't any widespread issues with these year boats reported on this forum. No significant reports of engine, transmission, fuel system, interior/vinyl, or trailer issues - just a bunch of owners who like them.

Get the boats checked out, choose one and go have some fun.

Jerseydave
07-25-2011, 06:15 PM
My opinion, for slalom and barefoot get the 200.
For wakeboarding, big crew, rough water, get the 225.

Trailer should not matter, they are correct for each boat.

BTW, I'm an ex-MAC TOOL distributor. Your profile says you sell tools also.....which brand?

toolz
07-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Really appreciate all the replies- a good bunch of guys here. Looks like my question is moot for now- the owner of the 225 just called and said he sold it. Came up on Craigs list yesterday afternoon, called him this morning and arranged inspection for tonight, but it's already gone. It was too cheap, and the early bird got the worm. I'll inspect the 200 this weekend, and go from there. We're not pro skiers or good wakeboarders by any stretch, just looking for a good family boat capable of towing and cruising, and the Maristar fits our needs. I'm selling my beloved 27 Fountain- wife hates it and it don't ski so well! By the way, been selling Matco tools for 22 years.