PDA

View Full Version : lengthening battery cables

Miss Rita
07-25-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm thinking of moving my battery about two feet from the middle of the stern area to the port corner. The battery cables won't reach of course. Is there a good way of splicing in two foot extensions that won't compromise battery function, or is it just a dumb idea?

oldairboater
07-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Dumb idea. You can make it work but eventually you will have a problem no matter how you splice them. Big wire and a splice will always add some resistance. I would buy longer heavier cables if I could.

LYNRDSKYNRD
07-25-2011, 10:43 AM
+1 on new cables it will be cheaper in the long run.

milkmania
07-25-2011, 11:10 AM
splicing will open yourself up to problems down the road.

Dunno, but a Junction Block may be an answer.... Again, I am not sure of this.
If I went that route, I'd make danged sure the ends were terminated correctly!

But, as you can see in the picture, you introduce a new place for failure

http://www.banningcohen.com/buick/remote_battery/images/positive_junction.jpg

Thrall
07-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Solder on 2 terminals like in the above pic and bolt them together, will transfer power fine, but as others have said, it's not the ideal long term solution.
Is it the cables to the battery from the engine or the cables to the dash (newer boat) from the battery?
If it's the latter, then maybe the best option is to get a couple dist blocks as it is not as straightforward to re-pull those cables, + they have a main breaker on them.
If set up properly, dist blocks aren't in themselves going to add more resistance to the circuit.

I have every load and main grounds in my boat running to dist blocks and then single cables only to the batteries. WOrks fine.