PDA

View Full Version : '02 Prostar 209 ignition/starting problem

bpd3108
07-25-2011, 10:17 AM
I have a starting issue that began as infrequent and is now routine. Turning the ignition key to start results in a loud "click" but no engine turnover, and the voltmeter drops to zero. Eventually I've been able to get it to turn over by jiggling the key and maybe putting a little more force on it, but sometimes even this doesn't work right away. Once the engine turns over it fires up instantly. After it has fired up once or twice the problem seems less frequent, but is happening more frequently especially at the start of the weekend and first thing in the morning. I've had the issue even when jumping the battery. The ignition switch doesn't look corroded, no loose wires between ignition, battery, and starter. Any ideas?
thanks
bpd3108

2002 Prostart 209
Mastercraft Power Voretc MX LT-R

bpd3108
07-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Just a follow-up - I was thinking if I could bypass the ignition switch and jump start the engine I could eliminate the ignition as a possible point of failure. The ignition switch is a four-terminal switch. Can anyone suggest either which terminals need to be connected to complete the ignition circuit, or point me to a schematic of the switch?

oldairboater
07-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Check your starter and all of your clean terminals from the battery to the whatever they go to. Make sure all are clean and tight. Replace your key switch if you don't find a problem anywhere else---they go bad. I am not a fan of hot wiring across ignitions. Unless you know what you are doing, it can be misleading.

bpd3108
07-27-2011, 10:43 PM
OK I'll check that out. I did order a new ignition switch so I may have it in hand by Friday. I'll let you know how it goes.