PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Ignition Thread

johnlanguab
07-25-2011, 08:43 AM
The electronic ignition thread isn't working... I have a couple of questions. I just purchased a hotspark unit. I was wondering whether to leave the ballast resistor in place or not. Also, I know they recommend using a high performance coil, but I intend to use the stock coil.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-25-2011, 09:09 AM
I would install it exactly as per the instructions, if it doesn't say to remove the ballast resistor I would leave it installed installed. And use the recommended coil...

alw65029
07-25-2011, 09:14 AM
I just put both terminals together on one post, which bypasses the resistor. I have been using my stock coil. 10 years with no problems!

johnlanguab
07-25-2011, 09:18 AM
The instructions give an upper range for voltage, but not a lower one. So it appears as though it would be fine either way regarding the the ballast resistor. Regarding the coil, it says the existing coil would be sufficient if it has > 1.5ohms.

I was wondering what most folks do when making the conversion.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-25-2011, 11:49 AM
With mine I went with the mallory e-spark and left the resistor, bc it said to, and changed the coil to a msd blaster 2

john jones
07-25-2011, 01:15 PM
I used the Hotspark unit and their coil and they told me to eliminate the ballast resistor, not sure what to do if you keep the stock coil?

They are good about emailing back

Here is the email they sent me:

If you bought the HS15HEC 1.5 Ohm coil, the ballast resistor won't be necessary.

Regards,

Roy
www.Hot-Spark.com

johnlanguab
07-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Well, the primary resistance looks to be the same as the stock coil. Given the feedback, I think I will eliminate the ballast resistor, use the stock coil (for now), and keep a spare in the boat.

I appreciate the feedback.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Electronic ignition has the ability to use a coil capable of higher voltage than points. Higher coil voltage equals hotter spark and better performance - both running and especially starting. To not change to an updated coil with the installation of electronic ignition would be leaving a lot on the table.

03geetee
07-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Electronic ignition has the ability to use a coil capable of higher voltage than points. Higher coil voltage equals hotter spark and better performance - both running and especially starting. To not change to an updated coil with the installation of electronic ignition would be leaving a lot on the table.

Totally agree! The epoxy black flamethrower from skidim is the cats ***....

Just saying!

JTR

johnlanguab
05-03-2012, 08:57 AM
So, for anyone who is interested, I upgraded to the recommended coil below:

http://www.hot-spark.com/1-HS17HEC.htm

It damn near left me stranded. I couldn't figure out what was going on when my boat wouldn't idle once it got warm. I checked all the connections and the coil was hot. After it cooled off it was run fine, and would run fine on plane.

After I got back to the marina the boat died again and I replaced the aftermarket coil with the original coil from the points ignition and everything was fine. It cranked right up and ran at idle.

I've emailed hot-spark.com about the problem and will keep everyone posted.