PDA

View Full Version : What oil filter??

Locascio
07-25-2011, 05:57 AM
I have a 99 prostar with a LT-1 Corvette engine. It has a "Mastercraft" filter on it as it was last changed at a dealer (can't read the numbers). I am going to attempt to change the oil myself by pumping it out of the dipstick tube. I would get a filter from the dealer but that is a two hour round trip for me. Does anyone know the filter number for a general brand filter I can get at autozone? Thanks!!

JimN
07-25-2011, 07:41 AM
I have a 99 prostar with a LT-1 Corvette engine. It has a "Mastercraft" filter on it as it was last changed at a dealer (can't read the numbers). I am going to attempt to change the oil myself by pumping it out of the dipstick tube. I would get a filter from the dealer but that is a two hour round trip for me. Does anyone know the filter number for a general brand filter I can get at autozone? Thanks!!

It has a rubber hose coming from the drain hole at the bottom of the oil pan- use that, not the dip stick tube. Fram has a bad reputation- the AC equivalent is PF-1218 for the large filter and for cross-referencing the short version, the Pennzoil number for the short filter is PZ-3.

All you need to do is use the cross-referencing book at the parts store- look for any GM 350 engine.

agarabaghi
07-25-2011, 07:54 AM
Pretty sure the KN hp2002 will fit also, thats what i use on my MCX. I love the nut on the bottom of the can for easy removal.

Locascio
07-25-2011, 08:16 AM
I have not noticed the tube at the bottom. Do I pump through the tube or stick the tube through the bilge hole and let 'er drain? Also, how many quarts does this engine take? I am guessing 5??

Thrall
07-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Napa/Wix 1069 will fit too.

Locascio
07-25-2011, 11:11 AM
anybody on how many quarts in an LT-1?

Thrall
07-25-2011, 01:36 PM
anybody on how many quarts in an LT-1?

5, but I couldn't get out much more than 4 qts incl filter by just draining it. That setup for some reason responded better to pumping the oil out.
Cheapest way is get a drill motor operated pump (Napa, hardware store, about $10) and a few fittings to go from the garden hose connections on the pump to the 3/8 ? NPT on hte drain hose and a hose barb on the outlet end to hook another hose to.
Hook it up, pump the old oil into a bucket or jug, less than 1 minute.
Get a 2nd hose barb/hose hookup to use it to suck out the trans fluid as well to service the trans.

deminimis
07-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Wix 51069!

Locascio
07-25-2011, 03:53 PM
No hose on my boat for oil draining? I really can't find it..... should it be just laying in the bottom or am I really missing something??

JimN
07-25-2011, 04:16 PM
No hose on my boat for oil draining? I really can't find it..... should it be just laying in the bottom or am I really missing something??

Look at the oil pan, where the drain plug would normally be (at a low spot). It has a brass fitting and it came from the factory with it.

trickskier
07-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Mobil-1 Oil Filter --- M1-302 For Small Block Chevrolet.

JMann
07-25-2011, 05:21 PM
I am in the process of changing mine oil now. I drop the drain hose out the bottom of the hull and let it sit overnight to ensure it's totally drained. Tomorrow finish the job.

Locascio
07-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Bad news, absolutely no drain hose. Probably because this is a Jasper replacement engine, took it to a marina....just going to pay them to do it!

Thrall
07-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Bad news, absolutely no drain hose. Probably because this is a Jasper replacement engine, took it to a marina....just going to pay them to do it!

Good luck. I fished around in my 190 and couldn't even get to the drain plug location where the hose connects.
If you plan on keeping the boat, have them put a drain hose on it when they get in there.
It may be possible, but don't be surprised if they say they need to lift the engine to get at it.
That said, should only be 4-6hrs tops to disconnect the drive shaft, pull the dog house, motor mounts, drain oil, install hose and re-assemble.