PDA

View Full Version : 96 prostar primes but wont start

dtm
07-25-2011, 02:12 AM
Just put a new engine block in my 96 prostar. Ran great for 5 sets, parked it, then would not start. Can hear the fuel pump prime, but it does not seem to send any fuel through injectors. Also, tried squirting some gas in TBI....nothing. It did fire briefly with some starter fluid, but not with gas?? I seem to have consistent voltage at all accessable leads, and the grounds look good. Checked the purple and white wire at distributer...no voltage. All fuses look good, and I checked the safety lanyard switch. Any suggestions on where to check next? Thank you.

dgaugler
07-25-2011, 03:19 AM
Heres where I'd start. Check your ground and check your fuses on the back of the ECM unit. If those look good check the wiring to your fuel pump and if you have pressure.

dtm
07-25-2011, 01:39 PM
The fuses all look good. I did take the fuel line off at the throttle body to make sure fuel was pumping and there appeared to be good pressure. It appears to me that there is no power at the ignition and no signal for the injectors to "fire".

André
07-25-2011, 02:11 PM
My 94 has an ignition breaker on the dash near the switches...:confused:

dtm
07-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks. I don't remember seeing one on my boat, but I will look. The starter is turning over fine, just no fuel and no spark????

Thrall
07-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Check out the Indmar EFI engine troubleshooting sheets I posted in one of the recent LT-1 threads here in the general section. Good place to start.

If you've confirmed no fuel or spark, maybe check the master reset breaker (red button on the engine?) Or like Andre said.
Proabably something simple/disconnected.
How did you ck the safety lanyard? Bypass it? It's NC, normally closed, so if you just jump the 2 wires together it bypasses.
Also 3 relays on the engine. ECM, fuel pump and starter(?). Check that those are working. Buy a spare fromt he auto parts store or switch them around to locate a bad one.

dtm
07-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Thank you! The reset button on the back seems to be very "stiff". I cannot depress it. What is a sign that it has tripped? -From what I have seen the safety lanyard will inhibit the gauges from functioning when key is on. When I took the lanyard off...the guages were dead, when it is in place the guages "jump" when the key is turned on. -There appears to be 3 fuses and 2 relays @ the ECM. I have checked and cleaned the fuses, but have not done anything with the relays. Also, the ICM @ the distributer had no voltage when cranking starter @ the purple/white wire.
-I will look for your troubleshooting sheets. Thanks again.

dtm
07-28-2011, 02:17 PM
I think I've found something....after searching all over this board and every other resource I could find, I have found that the pick up coil and the ICM are both testing bad. Took the ICM to "Autozone" and it failed. Tested a new distributer, and the leads from the pick up coil tested @ .80 with an OHM meter...the old on showed no reading. I'm replacing all, along with a new coil ($20) and we'll see how it goes. I will post results. Thank you all that helped!

dtm
08-04-2011, 01:37 AM
The new pick up coil, ICM, and ignition coil have it running great. As I learned from another post, without a signal from the ICM the TBI will not function. Kind of strange that both the pick up coil and ICM would both go bad at the same time, but with the help of the internet, this site, an old Haynes GMC truck manual, and 'AutoZone', I'm back on the water. Maybe good for another 15 years!