PDA

View Full Version : Perfect pass speed erratic

adam355
07-24-2011, 10:15 PM
The last two times I have gone out my perfect pass has randomly started jumping around on my and not holding speed. Any ideas where to start? Thanks

Lars
07-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Try a servo test/wind in. are you using rpm mode or "speed" mode?

kyfooter
07-25-2011, 08:35 AM
I had this happen to me as well. PP would seem to give accurate RPM readings, until it was engaged...then the RPMs were all over the place. If this is consistent with your problem, my solution was to simply clean and spread the connections in the engine compartment. By spread, I mean use an awe (sp?) to open up the male connection so it makes better contact.

Messed around with all sorts of other test to the servo, master module, even replacing the cables running from the master module to the display. Try the simple things first.

adam355
07-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Try a servo test/wind in. are you using rpm mode or "speed" mode?

This is speed mode. i will try rpm mode hopefully soon and report back

bdecker
07-26-2011, 09:01 AM
I had some issues due to a bad ground years ago. Mine is DBW. There was one instance lately where it failed to re-engage after spinning the boat on a public lake, but this could have been driver error or the bouncing over the wakes caused a grounding issue. Check the ground first. I think this is especially likely is you are using it in choppy water.

adam355
07-26-2011, 02:58 PM
I had some issues due to a bad ground years ago. Mine is DBW. There was one instance lately where it failed to re-engage after spinning the boat on a public lake, but this could have been driver error or the bouncing over the wakes caused a grounding issue. Check the ground first. I think this is especially likely is you are using it in choppy water.

Where is the ground located?

lav
07-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Maybe your throttle return spring is strecth or lost a little and now PP is not reacting as quickly
Just a thought

kskonn
07-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Maybe your throttle return spring is strecth or lost a little and now PP is not reacting as quickly
Just a thought

That was the issue I had with mine- it was dirty, I cleaned and lubed the spring and it worked like new.

nmcjr
07-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Have you checked the paddle wheel for debris? When you disengage the PP and manually set and hold a speed does the PP speed indicator jump around? This will tell you if it could be the paddle wheel. I had some issues recently when driving in a lake with a lot of debris, which I could tell because the RPM's weren't inline with the indicated speed. If the indicated speed holds pretty steady (and the RPM's are accurate to the displayed speed) you know that the PP is receiving accurate speed readings and can focus your efforts between the PP to the throttle.

Shooter McKevin
07-27-2011, 03:12 PM
When my PP started giving me erratic speeds, I found that one of the wires on the servo got jammed and was 90% broken. I soldered it back on the problem was solved.