PDA

View Full Version : 88 TriStar Starting Issue

jenglin
07-24-2011, 10:22 PM
I have an 88 TriStar with a 351W and am having starting issues. Last season I started the engine and it started but the starter stayed engaged. I turn the key off and even pulled key out of the ignition and the engine kept running and the starter kept turning over. I had to disconnect the battery before I burned the starter up. I replaced the starter relay and seemed to fix the problem. Not to long after that it happend again so I replaced it with another new relay and seemed to do the trick until tonight. I pulled the starter to see if anything was sticking but it's clean and free of any debris.

Is the relay shorting out and if so what would cause it. I bought both new relays at NAPA if that makes a difference. I was going to try a different brand this time but I'm stumped on this. Is there someplace I should look for a short or is it of the opinion I may have had some faulty relays.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2011, 01:19 AM
When the solenoids stuck, were you cranking with really low voltage? Sometimes when that happens, enough heat is generated to cause the solenoid to stick.