PDA

View Full Version : Taking on water #2 (Maristar 225)

tnewton
07-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Just took the boat out and watched more closely when exactly the auto pump ran. The pump would always turn on shortly after we went in reverse or slowed quickly and the waves came to the back of boat. It would also run about once every hour or so when we were parked. Again I have no idea where it is coming in but would like to start with the most probable and common place for this to happen. One person has told me to check the shaft packing. Does this sound right from description I gave? I really appreciate the help. I'm not much of a handyman when it comes to this stuff. Thanks!!! Tim

wtrskr
07-24-2011, 09:52 PM
It could be the shaft packing or it could be coming in through an exhaust manifold. When I got my boat I found leaking through both the shaft packing and through one of the silent master mufflers. Both were easy fixes.

I'm not sure how you access those areas on a Maristar. If you have another person to help I'm guessing you could take out a section of the flooring and set it on a pier then watch where the water is coming in from.

oldairboater
07-24-2011, 10:26 PM
I don't know what kind of packing you are running. Some packings must leak to keep from burning up---some don't leak. Your leakage doesn't sound excessive but you definitely are taking on water. I would suggest pulling removable floor up and looking for your leak. Put the boat in the water with the boat bilge dry. Take a flash light and just look around to see if you have water coming in anywhere. Check around your packing gland and look towards you rudder. Both of those can seep water. Grease the rudder if it is the seepage and if your packing gland on your shaft is seeping a lot of water--tighten it a little, or repack, or install one of those new style seals that don't leak. I would suggest starting your engine and looking for exhaust or muffler leaks. Don't get caught in the engine or anything else rotating and watch for burns. Sometime these boats take on wave splash between the hull and deck or rear vent. I am paranoid and actually have two bilge pumps. I have one pump that is on it's own automatic switch and is powered up anytime the battery switch is turned on. The other bilge pump is wired to the on/off/automatic switch on the control panel. I installed a separate automatic float switch that is wired to a warning light on my dash. Anytime a bilge pump cycles in I get a green light on the dash. The independent warning switch is higher and is wired to a red light on the dash. If it flips on, I know that my bilge possibly has water and a bilge pump hasn't cycled on yet. I actually got a red dash light and when I checked the bilge I had enough water that a bilge pump should have cycled in. Turned out that a hose had got on top of the bilge pump float switch and kept it from working. I keep a good eye on my bilge out of habit.

wtrskr
07-24-2011, 10:43 PM
On my post I meant through the exhaust flaps not exhaust manifold. With the bilge running once per hour I think the water will be coming in fast enough that you'll easily be able to see it.

oldairboater
07-24-2011, 11:14 PM
My silent master muffler has been a good leak twice in my boat. Both times it developed a hairline crack on the bottom and I could not see it till I really looked for it. I found one one time because I was getting a wet spot on my floor about the size if a quarter. A quarter on the floor-a good spray straight to the bottom of the bilge.

tnewton
07-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions! My father in law will be with me this weekend. We will take the floor off and try to find the leak. Drives me crazy worrying about the water coming in so hopefully it will be an easy fix. Thanks again!! Tim

oldairboater
07-25-2011, 11:08 AM
There is always going to be some water in the bilge. Even outboards get water in the bilge. Splash, people bringing water in, and wave slap. I am curious about water when you back up or slow down but most likely that is because all the water that collects in the boat running went to the back of the bilge. You slow down or back up makes a bilge wave lift up your automatic float switch and just turns on your pump. Some water coming in around your rudder is not anything to worry about if it is what I call a very slow drip or seep. Depending on your packing or seal on your prop shaft you should or could have some leakage. If it is old style packing and you don't let it leak it will cause friction. The water seeping past the wax lubricates and cools. You need to know your leaks and know if they are supposed to be there. Like mentioned above and in your other thread. These boats sometime develop leaks in the exhaust. You don't sound like you have an excessive leak with the bilge pump cycling in once an hour but you still need to know where water is coming from and what is the norm. My bilge pump cycles once every hour to two hours sitting but if I have people getting in and out or we are bouncing through bow waves it cycles a lot more. Don't be paranoid about water in the boat---be paranoid about too much water too fast and a bilge pump problem.

cmarty123
07-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Something else to consider... I bought a 225 last year and was having the same problem. I was noticing wet carpet on the side of the boat in the back. This winter I took the rub rail off and the seal had broken between the top and the bottom of the boat. I took out all the rivets, caulked with silicone and screwed the top and bottom together with stainless screws. It fixed my problems. Probably took about 8 hours to do.

bigmac
07-29-2011, 08:50 PM
On my boat, the narrowness of the hull midships makes the bilge water deep enough to activate the forward pump when boat slows down or reverses and the bilge water sloshes forward, whereas in the flatter section of the hull, in the stern by the aft pump the same amount of water is more spread out and not as deep. For me, it's common to see the forward bilge pump blast out some water when slowing whereas it's relatively rare to see the rear pump activate.

I don't know about your Maristar. On mine, it's easy enough to see the packing gland and even tighten it without pulling up any flooring. I can pull the engine-side panel of the starboard storage, lay on the floor of the compartment with the engine running, and easily see the packing nut, the bottom of the Silentmaster, the raw water pump, and the rudder port.

LaRue
07-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Mastercraft mechanic told me to fill up bilge area with plenty of water and then look where it might be running out. Where it is running out, and if too fast, will tell u where it is coming in. At the very least it eliminates areas

Matthew 13:1-2

Holman J.B.F
07-30-2011, 01:28 PM
i,ve had a 225vrs for 4 years and had the same problem like cmarty123.
The intergrated swimplatform has a rubrail and it is submerged when you have some ballast
or people in the back.Remove the back panels in the rear storage compartments and check for water running into the bilge.

for the propshaft seal you can remove the middle section of the rear bench for an easy acces to the prop shaft seal,grease your rudderbox also,just to make sure.

MasterKraftS&S
08-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Mastercraft mechanic told me to fill up bilge area with plenty of water and then look where it might be running out. Where it is running out, and if too fast, will tell u where it is coming in. At the very least it eliminates areas

Matthew 13:1-2

Ha, I love the when scripture supports my obsessions - Do what Jesus would do - Go out in the BOAT! Amen