chawk610
07-24-2011, 08:46 PM
It has been a rough summer

Ok...

Out with the kids

started fine... backed off the trailer
we made a slow run around the lake
We start heading in cause it's over 100 degrees and kids b*tchin
we are idling at the ramp waiting on our turn at the dock..
DIES!!!!!!!!!!
NO POWER, I mean NO POWER the bildge or fan won't even come on...

I put a meter on the battery ...12.5V
Battery terminals are tight and new
radio and amp come on....
this is the first time I have ever had it die in mid idle...

UHHHGGGGG!

Skipper
07-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Starting at the battery try to identify a grounding issue. Also, there might be a breaker on the back side of the engine that tripped?

chawk610
07-24-2011, 08:57 PM
I thought about that.... where the starter cell wire goes... darn. lemme go check!

chawk610
07-24-2011, 09:02 PM
yep, it was... but what caused it to trip?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Likely high resistance at one or more battery connections.

chawk610
07-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Ok... please dumb that down for me...

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Probably a corroded battery connection. Block ground is often overlooked, as well as both connections at the solenoid. Get out the wire brush and the battery terminal cleaner. Just finished doing that with my boat.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2011, 09:54 PM
I got distracted and didn't answer that fully. If there is a bad connection at the block ground, for instance, it can create enough drain on the circuit that it will pop the breaker.

chawk610
07-24-2011, 10:02 PM
ok... I have new terminals and battery, so they are clean... I know there is a ground at the starter... it is cleaned... there is another I am missing?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Follow the wire from the negative side of your battery to somewhere on the engine block. Also, remove both battery cables from the starter solenoid (make sure you have the battery ground disconnected as one side is 12 volts)

JLeuck64
07-24-2011, 10:26 PM
When kids start *****en I start pitching them over... oh wait that wasn't the help you were looking for, sorry. ( ;

chawk610
07-25-2011, 08:15 AM
LOL... I was patient... even in the face of the boat dying... I was pretty proud.

Ok... I will trace the ground today.

LYNRDSKYNRD
07-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Same thing happened to me but it was in the yard on a fake o lake. It was my engine block ground. I didn't even try to clean it after getting it off and inspecting it because it looked so bad. Measure it before you go to the parts house, it took me two trips because I eye balled mine.

chawk610
07-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Ahh... ok. Is it on the port side?

LYNRDSKYNRD
07-25-2011, 11:02 AM
On my 87 ps looking at the front of the engine its in the left side area of the alternator.

chawk610
07-25-2011, 11:06 AM
great... ok, will check her after work today!

oldairboater
07-25-2011, 12:32 PM
100 degrees in Fort Worth is not hot. I think our river yesterday had 100 degree water in it. Like stated above don't eyeball this stuff and say it looks good----I have more then once wasted a lot of time over not cleaning ground terminals. Now, I remove them---- I wire brush them---I grease them and I re-tighten. Circuit breakers sometimes go bad but not that often. If it trips again after you cleaning everything--might be something to consider.

chawk610
07-25-2011, 01:32 PM
"over a 100" :) I will clean it well today for sure.

chawk610
07-25-2011, 08:45 PM
ok... pulled the ground off the block... cleaned it up. Then, I pulled the started cellenoid cover off... that end of the ground was pretty "green", I sanded it douwn to the metal. I am wondering if the whole thing inside the casing is corroded... this would explain the started giving up on us everytime we stay out all day???? I can certainly replace that ground wire easy enough... thoughts?

oldairboater
07-25-2011, 09:01 PM
I would only replace the whole cable if the ends were bad. With that said if you doubt it replace it. I just spent four hours installing a new battery and cleaning all cable and wire ends. Nothing was wrong with the old battery but three years on a battery in a boat is a lot to me. I then greased or sealed all exposed metal wire showing.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2011, 09:14 PM
ok... pulled the ground off the block... cleaned it up. Then, I pulled the started cellenoid cover off... that end of the ground was pretty "green", I sanded it douwn to the metal. I am wondering if the whole thing inside the casing is corroded... this would explain the started giving up on us everytime we stay out all day???? I can certainly replace that ground wire easy enough... thoughts?

A terminology correction needed here. Neither of the two wires at the starter solenoid are ground (- battery negative) On wire is battery +, the other wire goes from the solenoid to the starter and is battery + when the key is in the crank position.

A good tool for cleaning battery connections is a small wire brush. If you can find a stainless steel brush - that is perfect.....just be careful around your fingers. Wire brushed also do a good job on battery terminals.

Replacing battery cables is never a bad thing. I have never had an occasion to wish I had never replaced a battery cable.:rolleyes:

chawk610
07-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Oh really? It is black, so I "***-umed" :)

chawk610
08-02-2011, 11:21 AM
ok... bout have enough to order the new ARCO starter... hopefully this week... The breaker on the back of the motor stays tripped now though... did it go bad? Is this a boat shop only item? I push it in, 3 seconds later it pops out.

Kyle
08-02-2011, 02:18 PM
I take it the battery cables are clean at the battery now and the Meg has been followed to the block and cleaned and the pos has been follwed to the starter solenoid and cleaned. All wires running to the starter are clean. The breaker that was green cleaned.

Before replacing the starter remove it and have it tested. I think you will find out something else is bad.

Breakers normally don't pop when a starter dies.

Kyle
08-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Call Texas mc and ask for jeff. If they don't have one Charlie probably can order you one from v&v marine parts warehouse that's 10 min from there. I don't see a breaker being over $30

If the breaker was green I wouldnt have even bothered cleaning it. There is no way to clean the parts the button activate or the internal parts. I would have called jeff at txmc and got one coming and cleaned the cables.

chawk610
08-02-2011, 02:50 PM
ok... you know... I haven't checked the wires at the breaker yet... been too darn busy, will have a look today.