PDA

View Full Version : third time this month

Iskidaily
07-24-2011, 09:44 AM
The water looked pretty good for wakeboarding last night around dinner time, so I asked my wife to give me a pull. As we came to the end of our cove where the water gets really nice, there was a jet skier tearing up the glass. (That validated my choice note to slalom!) I sighed and kept on going. my wife turned the boat and I tried a new trick as she came out of the cove. As usual, the new trick ended with a splash. As I waited for her to come get me, I saw that the jet skier had stopped turning circles and picked up on our wake. He was 50 feet away from me and coming fast.

I started yelling at the top of my lungs to get his attention and with 10 feet to spare, he heard me and turned. His response? "Boy, I'm sure glad you yelled, I thought you were over there!" pointing to the boat. I couldn't think of anything to say, particularly since I was sitting in the water with both feet strapped tight to the board, so I just waited to get the rope in my hands again.

When we finished the run, I told my wife I wanted to go talk to the guy now that I too was in a boat and could look him in the eye. She begged me not to, since the whole thing went down in front of our dock and she didn't want to risk retaliation.

This was our third close call this month, so I decided I had to do something. When I called the wildlife office this morning, I realized what I should have done: get a picture of the jet ski so I could get the numbers. Lesson learned.

Today, I am going to hit that trick.

CantRepeat
07-24-2011, 10:45 AM
One other thing you might do is splash with your arms. Don't splash down in the water, through water up in the air with your arms/hands. Yes, it's silly to think you would need to do this.

gatorguy
07-24-2011, 01:57 PM
When we finished the run, I told my wife I wanted to go talk to the guy now that I too was in a boat and could look him in the eye. She begged me not to, since the whole thing went down in front of our dock and she didn't want to risk retaliation.

The fact this is on your home lake seems like more of a reason to have an actual discution with this clown. Try not to be a total jerk when you talk to him, and he may even listen and learn something.

It's not your duty to educate those around you on the water, but your life may depend on it. It may be the same guy trying to jump your wake next week and you may not be as lucky.

2RLAKE
07-24-2011, 02:23 PM
i guess shooting him with a paintball gun would be a bad idea, right? i completely understand your pain .. i think we all go through it with those darn things

broncotw
07-24-2011, 06:55 PM
I HATE Boat Knats!!!

erat
07-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Glad to know we're not the only one who hates jet skis.

We had one turn without looking between the boat and a skier about 2 years ago. So i know your pain.

silverblueBP
07-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Jet skis and Tubers, put on this earth to destroy good skiing water.

Jerseydave
07-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Last tuesday evening we were wakesurfing behind my friend's boat.
2 Jetskis come out from the ramp and see what we are doing, and the big wake we are making. Nobody else around but us and the 2 jetskis.

So of course they follow us, jumping our wake about 50-75 feet behind the boat.
I fall and one of the jetskiers jumps the wake and comes within 50 feet of me.

My buddy driving the boat starts screaming at this D-bag. Of course the guy says he wasn't that close to me. My buddy says do it again and he will call the state police.

The jet skiers left.

They are the biggest tool-bags on the water. Luckily the water cops here know this and they keep a close eye on them.