PDA

View Full Version : X45 ballast for surfing

luv2fast
07-24-2011, 04:32 AM
I have been having a real problem with adding enough weight to get a good surf wave. I have 2 400# sacks one in each rear compartment, all of the factory tanks (3) filled, and the wake in not even close to be able to let go of the rope, what are we doing wrong. The X45 is a big *** boat, just add more weight?

CantRepeat
07-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Start by only filling the ballast on the side you want to surf.

MattsCraft
07-24-2011, 11:32 AM
x2, only fill the surf side rears and KGB, all peeps on surf side, add one or two peeps in the bow (surf side) if you have enough to lengthen the wave. If you have a center tab, make sure it is up as this will kill the wave.

Funny, I use the tab to mess with my son when he is showing off to much, the center tab will/can kill the wave:rolleyes: His reaction is priceless, what the heck, ahh great, thanks Dad:confused:

V-man
07-24-2011, 02:07 PM
This is with approximately 2500 added ballast:

750 in locker, custom 1000 under seats, 400 in pop bags, 400 on seat. Custom swim platform.

TN X-45
09-01-2011, 08:40 PM
1000 port rear, 750 port cooler and 450 in port corner. STBD surf tab down. Wave is perfect.

CantRepeat
09-01-2011, 09:46 PM
tbh, I would really like to set up an X45 for someone. I just think you could get such a good wave out of that boat with far less weight then what is going in them. Yes, I do not have a 45 and I could be talking out the side of my neck right now but I think it could be done with less weight.

V-man
09-02-2011, 04:45 AM
tbh, I would really like to set up an X45 for someone. I just think you could get such a good wave out of that boat with far less weight then what is going in them. Yes, I do not have a 45 and I could be talking out the side of my neck right now but I think it could be done with less weight.

You CAN get a good wave with far less weight. But why would you want to do that when you can get a great big wave with a lot of weight?

SKADMAN
09-02-2011, 05:43 AM
V-man - Got any pics of your swim platform?

CantRepeat
09-02-2011, 07:54 AM
You CAN get a good wave with far less weight. But why would you want to do that when you can get a great big wave with a lot of weight?

Because 2500 lbs exceeds the coast guard's and MC's weighting guidelines for the boat. :confused:

In my boat, I didn't get any better, big, cleaner wave with more weight. In fact, it was completely counter productive to put more weight up front. Dropping from 2000 lbs down to 1700 made a longer wake without losing any height.

Like I said, I could be very wrong since I have not weighted one. You're wave does look nice. :D

V-man
09-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Because 2500 lbs exceeds the coast guard's and MC's weighting guidelines for the boat.

Actually for my boat the guideline is 2680, but I do understand the concern. However, it is a "guideline" not a restriction. That being said, safety is top priority when I have my family out on the water under any condition. We will not surf during choppy conditions. We are usually the first on the lake in the morning and get in a good 2 hour session before other boats get on the water. I also try to be very cautious as to where I throw the rollers.

You make a good point that each boat requires a different setup and throwing more weight on the corner surf side is not always the answer. I think the process of "tweeking" the wave is part of the fun. I am constantly doing this. I have followed your posts during you process. You've done a nice job tweeking your 30.

SKADMAN. Dug up an old post

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=754181#post754181

SKADMAN
09-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks V-man!!!

SKADMAN
09-13-2011, 08:45 AM

Hey top if you want to visit NorCal next season, you can try setting up my X-45. :-) Assuming I don't have to pay. Sorry couldn't resist. Seriously though, your surf wake is fricking inspiring to say the least. Awesome work!

CantRepeat
09-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Hey top if you want to visit NorCal next season, you can try setting up my X-45. :-) Assuming I don't have to pay. Sorry couldn't resist. Seriously though, your surf wake is fricking inspiring to say the least. Awesome work!

Packing a bag right now, I just hope your wife doesn't mind me sleeping on the couch and don't get mad when all the beer is gone!

scott023
09-13-2011, 02:40 PM
I've got factory port and KGB filled, with 400# fat sacs in port locker and on floor in bow. Added and 1100# fat sac to seats in back corner. Lengthened the wake out BIG TIME. WE can now surf ropeless 25ft behind the boat. Amazing.

CantRepeat
09-13-2011, 03:47 PM
At least you're wearing a vest. :rolleyes:

scott023
09-13-2011, 03:57 PM
At least you're wearing a vest. :rolleyes:

Huh? :confused:

V-man
09-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Hey Skadman. If you are any where near Lake Oroville look up Robert Garcia at Wake9.com. He would love to take on this project with you. Could be fun.

CantRepeat
09-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Huh? :confused:

Last I knew skiing, wakeboarding, surfing after sundown was against the law and seems rather dangerous. But hey, it's your show.

V-man
09-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Some 45 fun. :woohoo:

http://youtu.be/potHoBPB1NU

CantRepeat
09-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Some 45 fun. :woohoo:

http://youtu.be/potHoBPB1NU

Sweet looking wave! :D

scott023
09-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Last I knew skiing, wakeboarding, surfing after sundown was against the law and seems rather dangerous. But hey, it's your show.

Holy lick. There are a lot of old fuddy duddies on this board. My gosh.:confused: We can be out until an hour after sundown, which is all that we were out.

CantRepeat
09-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Holy lick. There are a lot of old fuddy duddies on this board. My gosh.:confused: We can be out until an hour after sundown, which is all that we were out.

hahahaha :D

I'm just thinking if you fall and there is another boat around he may not even see you. Hence danger!!!

scott023
09-13-2011, 05:49 PM
hahahaha :D

I'm just thinking if you fall and there is another boat around he may not even see you. Hence danger!!!

No worries there, we held the board out of the water when we were down, and there were only two other boats on the lake.

Nordicron
09-17-2011, 11:17 AM
NICE! I do think skiing or surfing at night could be pretty dangerous but fun! I do wish that instead of the sunrise/sunset rule that the law would be dawn and dusk times. This would give an extra hr or so to the day. We already have a short season up here in WI!

havinfun
01-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Packing a bag right now, I just hope your wife doesn't mind me sleeping on the couch and don't get mad when all the beer is gone!

hahahaa , hey you wouldnt have to sleep on the couch, they have an extra room, or you could stay at my house too!!!!!!!
and I have plenty of beer in my fridge in the garage, you might have to help me work on my chevelle tho!!!!

havinfun
01-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Hey Skadman. If you are any where near Lake Oroville look up Robert Garcia at Wake9.com. He would love to take on this project with you. Could be fun.

we might just have to make a trip to lake oroville jason!!!!!!:D:D

Heelgrad
03-29-2012, 09:52 PM
I am considering adding the Fly High Pro X Enzo 1450 lb sacs both port and starboard to my new 45 when it arrives. Anyone have any experience with these sacs, good or bad?

V-man
03-31-2012, 03:46 PM
I don't know about the new 45's but on my '07 the vent hose coming off the stock tank is right in front of the locker. The enzo sac would have to pinch down drastically and then run overtop or around that hose.

BMcD
04-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Hey TT,

I have an '06 X-45 and love it for surfing. Here is how we ride:

Fill stock ballast on rider's side
Fill integrated additional 500# bag in rider side rear locker
Fill KGB
Put factory trim tab 1/4 down - yup, that will help push the bow down and extend the wake
Ride at about 8-10 mph

We also just tested the new Day1 wakesurf line. Super light, super buoyant boards with true surf construction. For info check out www.Day1Wake.com

SKADMAN
04-14-2012, 08:55 AM

Top, I would never let the beer run out. :friday:

Awesome idea thanks! Checked out his page and I have a lot of things to try first. Also going to the Wakesurf Open next month.

we might just have to make a trip to lake oroville jason!!!!!!:D:D

You just be ready to try out some swim deck mods tomorrow there killer! :cool:

Ballast: KGB and port stock ballast full. 750 (almost full) in locker. 750 & 400 on port seat. 750 on floor of port seat. About 750 of people lbs. 400 on top of KGB.

TN X-45
04-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Holy Moly SCADMAN! Have we seen pictures of this wake? I am happy with an extra 750 in the locker and 450 in the port cooler recently. Have been wanting to try more bags on top of the seats but have not yet. Is there a huge difference? Do you use the A Plate to drop the nose at all?

SKADMAN
04-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Holy Moly SCADMAN! Have we seen pictures of this wake? I am happy with an extra 750 in the locker and 450 in the port cooler recently. Have been wanting to try more bags on top of the seats but have not yet. Is there a huge difference? Do you use the A Plate to drop the nose at all?

Havinfun has pics if any cause I'm either driving or riding so ill get him on it.

Please keep in mind that we all weigh an average of 245 pounds. I kept on buying more bags because the pocket was so short/small. The more weight we did add helped grow the pocket, which I'm still not happy with. The A plate only made it worse. I watch the videos posted on here and get pissed. (I'll stop crying now and get on a diet)

On to a solution. Wednesday, havinfun and I made a prototype swim deck and will be testing it out in a couple hours. Basically, from what others on here have mentioned, I did notice the stock swim deck cutting the wake. So that is where I'm at with it right now. Going to a Wakesurf competition next month and going to try some different boards and maybe get some more help there. But as far as ballast goes that's where I'm at.

Riding a Grind Water Ginsu

If anybody has any other suggestions I'm all ears as it is my mission to to get a killer surf wake like V-man & CantRepeat's this summer. Happy surfing!!!!!

SKADMAN
04-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Found some. Not sure on how to space them out to write seperate tags. These were back when we where running with a 750 in locker, 750 on kgb, stock port and kgb full, and everybody seated port so about 700 people lbs.

-V-
04-14-2012, 04:20 PM
looks nice, I am going to try to add some ballast this summer.

havinfun
04-14-2012, 04:54 PM
I'm ready man!!!! We'll post some pics when we get back.

imChad
04-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks for sharing your findings! I am going to try and dial in my '08 X45 this season for some more surfing. I wasnt sure where to start so hearing your points, both good and bad are very helpful. I will be following this thread!

havinfun
04-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Here is a start at what we accomplished on saturday!!! We would have been out there longer and been able to dial in the wave alot better if skadman hadn't let go of the tsunami pump!!
This is with a
750 in port locker,
400 under seat where ice chest goes,
750 on seat in port corner,
Stock port full
KGB full

Still have a 400 and a 750 to go and see where it ends up!!
Stay tuned we are not done yet.

V-man
04-16-2012, 09:20 PM
We would have been out there longer and been able to dial in the wave alot better if skadman hadn't let go of the tsunami pump!!

LOL!! 'There are those who have' my friend. Great job with the platform. You have really cleaned up the wake. Looks like a nice meaty pork chop of a wake!

You can try taking the back wall out of the locker. That will allow you to fill the 750 completely. I have a 1100 in my locker and I can fill it to about 3/4 full. I re-posted this picture to give you an idea of the difference in list angle between mine and your configuration. I am probably at another 3-5 degrees of list. There is an app called clinometer that I use and It shows us at about 15 degrees at rest. Once you get to this angle you will have to consider sealing off the port side fuel cap (mine was a vented cap until I sealed it) because water will came over the fuel cap at times. I also use an app called boat speed to set the PP at 11.5 MPH. It looks like you may be going a little fast in the picture.

Try this configuration.

Stock full, KGB full
750 in port locker
400 under ice chest seat
400 in board locker
400 on port corner seat
ballast bubbas on port side

I also have some pop bags to fill in the space around the vent hose. And to fill in the slot in the board locker under the sac.

havinfun
04-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Vman
It is funny now, We went to fill the other bags and were like ok get the pump. He said don't you have it I said no. I thought you did. I knew right then exactly who had it, it was the lake who grabbed it.
We did take out the back panel in the locker, the 750 actually filled completely
Question tho, did you do any gabbing of a plate to go cover the bolts that are there?

We played around with speed some and it did. Ale a change in the length of the wave. But we were just trying to see the change in the deck. I'm not sure, but I tho k we were at 9.6 when I took this pic. Believe it or not we were actually about 4" away from the rub rail touching the water. We are planning on going out this Sunday to give it another shot. Jason is getting a wetsuit to see how much push it will have. Give me a little while and I'll post more pics of saturday. This last one was from my iPhone!!!

V-man
04-17-2012, 03:22 AM
Havin. Yeah, we have fed the lake monsters a number of items over the years. That's why I always carry a spare prop, pump, flag, vest, key, phone, camera, and anything else that might find it's way overboard.

I just use a couple of rubber tips to cover the bolts in the locker. Good luck on the test Sunday.

Hey, If you are going to the West Coast Open next month say hey to Ragboy from Wake9 for me. Also look up Jeff Wahlers from Soulcraft. He can take you out and demo some boards. He can also hook you up with a sweet custom fit board. Tell him Mike V. from Arizona sent you.

havinfun
04-17-2012, 02:17 PM
So this is where we started!!!

It is a hell of a lot better than the stock deck dipping in the water

this is where we ended up
All stock ballast full,
750 in the port locker full, with the back panel taken out,
400 under cooler seat,
750 on the port corner seat
We ended up about 10mph on pp
Wave has a nice shape to it, just need a little more.

We are going up to the wake9 event and jason is planning on trying some boards out there as well!!

SKADMAN
04-17-2012, 10:52 PM
I swear he had that pump last!!! Oh well. Thanks budd! :D

83 degrees at Hogan on Sunday! Can't wait.

havinfun
04-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Whatever, you totally had it last!!!!

Oh and to prove you wrong once again, it's supposed to be 88 on Sunday buddy!!!

TN X-45
04-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Has anyone looked into the Super Sac R system? I just plumbed in my port locker and cooler bags but it seems that I am going to need more. Any thoughts on this system or has anyone gotten quotes yet?

SKADMAN
04-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Has anyone looked into the Super Sac R system? I just plumbed in my port locker and cooler bags but it seems that I am going to need more. Any thoughts on this system or has anyone gotten quotes yet?

http://www.supersacr.com/

New to me but that isn't saying much I guess. Website is kind of blah. Nice pic with Rusty. Interested in how it works and like you said how much.

TN X-45
04-22-2012, 09:33 AM
I just read somewhere they are using it for the PWT.

MIskier
04-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Scott Wood, the VP of engineering for MC, and his wife are the ones who came up with the sac-r system. It seems to be a well thought out piece, and a good solution to dragging pumps all over the place.

MIskier
04-22-2012, 11:43 AM
I just read somewhere they are using it for the PWT.

That is correct

surfaholic
08-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Port and KGB full,also 800 l. Bag in port locker and a few people on board.

Coffeyman76
08-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Running 1100 port locker (probably filled to around 850 or so) and 400 under front port seat and 400 between the seats in the front. Between 3 and 8 bubba ballasts port side. With less I will move that 400 from between the front seats back either in board storage or cooler storage. 11.5 mph works best for me. I put the plate at about 25% and it seems to lengthen it a little bit, any more and it starts washing the top of the wave some.

Funny I was messing around this weekend just with 2 people, filled KGB, 11mph and put the plate 100% down and it was a completely surfable wave. Strange. Not tall but it was clean and pretty long, albeit 50% as tall as with all the weight ;-)

Got everything from wakemakers. Good guys.