PDA

View Full Version : Battery Chargers

Just Havin Fun
07-23-2011, 11:39 AM
I am looking for suggestions on a dual battery charger that can take care of both batteries at the same time, something fast but safe. Are there options for one that installs next to the batteries?

I have a 2011 X-25.

Thanks!!

JHF

MattsCraft
07-23-2011, 03:10 PM
I have this one mounted on the wall just rear of the battery switch. They are made by Pro-Marine for Bass Pro. 5/5, with automatic float program. Boat and batteries were put into commision July of 08', put in the charger fall of 08' and in '11 (4th Season) the batteries are going strong pushing 12.6 volts!

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-Intelligent-Technology-Series-OnBoard-Marine-Battery-Charger-XPS-iT-5/5/product/10224684/-1759707

Just Havin Fun
07-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks for pointing me to those. My only concern is when I went to read the reviews of the product, they were very mixed.

Half were very happy and the other half said they broke a lot. So, my take is IF you get a good one, your set, but you have to chance it. Sounds like Bass Pro Shop has some manufacturing consistency issues with those.

JRW160
07-23-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm running a guest 2610. It's two channels and 5 amps per channel. Always charges my batteries overnight. A buddy is running a pro mariner pro sport20 which is 10 amps per channel. Neither of us have had any trouble out of either charger. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

hbomb
07-24-2011, 04:28 AM
either the guest as mentioned or xantrex truecharge 2.....

MattsCraft
07-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks for pointing me to those. My only concern is when I went to read the reviews of the product, they were very mixed.

Half were very happy and the other half said they broke a lot. So, my take is IF you get a good one, your set, but you have to chance it. Sounds like Bass Pro Shop has some manufacturing consistency issues with those.

Hmmm, I guess I got a good one, I did not do any research at all other than the guys at Bass Pro giving them a thumbs up:rolleyes: I don't think they work on commission, not sure. I just happened to be at the mall, wife was shopping and I was killing time and wondered into Bass Pro, it was on sale, total impulse buy. Every once in awhile a squirrel finds a good nut:D I think I got it for $89:headbang:

EarmarkMarine
07-24-2011, 04:25 PM
An Intelli-Power, Guest, C-TEK, ProMariner, Dual Pro or Xantrex will all get the job done. Just stay away from the tender/trickle/minder/maintenance type chargers. And stay away from emergency home garage (low/medium/high/boost) type chargers. For proper desulphation and maximum battery lifespan make sure that the total amperage capacity of your charger falls between 10 and 13 percent of the batteries' collective amp/hours. With this in mind and by using a 3-stage dual-bank true smart charger you will not risk over or under charging, either of which is destructive.

David
Earmark Marine

TLR67
07-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Battery Tenders are small.. great and work over time....

ithaca91
07-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Another vote for Battery Tender

www.batterytender.com

Huskie05
07-25-2011, 05:02 PM
I use Battery
Tender for both the bikes and the boat, works awesome...

gatorguy
07-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Why are you guys using battery chargers so much? I don't ever charge mine, and have never had a problem either. Is it because you are running the radio a long time with the key off, and then the drive back to the marina is too short to charge your batteries? Or should we all have our batteries on a charger when we are not on the lake?

JRW160
07-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Why are you guys using battery chargers so much? I don't ever charge mine, and have never had a problem either. Is it because you are running the radio a long time with the key off, and then the drive back to the marina is too short to charge your batteries? Or should we all have our batteries on a charger when we are not on the lake?
I run my stereo a lot with the engine off, and I'm still running the stock alternator. I'm pretty sure even with the boat running, my amps are pulling more than the alternator can put out. I have the stereo batteries separated from the main battery through the perko switch, and I just charge the batteries every night.

Huskie05
07-25-2011, 07:08 PM

It's not that we are charging them, but if the boat sits a while, a trickle charger like a batter tender keeps them at their peak, auto shut off to not over charge. Also, maintaining a battery makes them last a lot longer. I keep mine on tender all winter long, switch back and forth from the boat to the bike batteries.

Shooter McKevin
07-25-2011, 07:38 PM
A guy I know put a battery charger on his Ferrari this spring and burnt it to the ground, along with part of his "garage mahal" and damaging a few other exotics. The fire department said it was from poor ventilation in the battery compartment (which is accessed from the passenger seat I think). Until this happened I was planning on installing a 2 bank on board charger, but now I'm not so sure.

I've never heard of this happening, so I think there must be more to it. What do you guys think?

emnesto
07-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Amazon had a great deal on all of the NOCO GEN2 Genius 12V-24V waterproof onboard chargers. All 4 models (1, 2, 3, and 4 bank) are almost 50% off, and free shipping. The listing says 3-4 months for shipping, but mine is shipping 2 days after order. See details at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JSJS5I/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&psc=1

EarmarkMarine
07-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Tender/trickle/minder/maintenance chargers are perfect for weekend hot rods, airport cars, ATVs, UTVs, boats, tractors, motorcycles plus any other vehicle where the battery is fully charged when put into storage. However, once the size of your stereo system passes a given threshold and once your playtime at rest passes a given duration, where you are unable to fully charge the batteries before you return to the slip or trailer, then you need a charger with the right current capacity. That is why a tournement fisherman only uses a substantial charger to service the trolling motor bank of deep cycle batteries....and not a 1.25 amp maintenance charger, except for the boat's cranking battery. One size does not fit all applications.

David
Earmark Marine