PDA

View Full Version : No engine temperature reading on 2002 205V

sc00ter_17
07-22-2011, 05:24 PM
So I have been doing some research on here and have not found a solution to my issue. This year I have noticed that the engine temp gauge has not been moving. Thought maybe issue was T-stat stuck open and over-cooling so changed that and tested today and same issue. Is there anyway to test the gauge or any other ideas? Engine is the 310 TBI

ahhudgins
07-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Scroll down the page, I put in some checks. Don't know if the wire colors are the same for a 2002 but it may be close.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38088&highlight=temperature+gauge

Thrall
07-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Try changing the temp sender. I believe it is located in one of the lower block drains. 2 wires, don't think a 2002 tbi has a knock sensor so that's the temp sender. Also ck continuity in the wires from the sender to the guage.

ahhudgins
07-22-2011, 05:49 PM
I only know the wiring on my old 95. The sending unit on the lower block (black and yellow wire) is for the ECM. Does the guage on a 2002 have it's own sensor (like mine)?

sc00ter_17
07-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks ahhudgins for the link I looked at that earlier and my temp gauge has a 4 wire plug so it did not help much but got me thinking. So I tested and had 6 volts on one wire to ground and 6 volts on other wire to ground. 4th wire is illumination. Thrall one of my lower block drains has some sensor in it but it only has one blue wire. Assumed that was my knock sensor since it only has one wire. As far as testing continuity, with the ECM not sure if it will test properly since it is not a direct connection. Also noticed when I switch ignition key for on to off all other gauges buzz and vibrate a little and the temp does not. Should it?

Thrall
07-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks ahhudgins for the link I looked at that earlier and my temp gauge has a 4 wire plug so it did not help much but got me thinking. So I tested and had 6 volts on one wire to ground and 6 volts on other wire to ground. 4th wire is illumination. Thrall one of my lower block drains has some sensor in it but it only has one blue wire. Assumed that was my knock sensor since it only has one wire. As far as testing continuity, with the ECM not sure if it will test properly since it is not a direct connection. Also noticed when I switch ignition key for on to off all other gauges buzz and vibrate a little and the temp does not. Should it?

Ahhudgins, I think the 02 TBI's are essentially the same as the earlier efis.
Scooter, yes 1 wire = knock sensor, I think. I thought these engines had 2 temp sensors, 1 for the guage and 1 for the ECM, but ICBW. JimN, where are you????:D
Look up around the thermostat for another temp sender then.
Also I just posted several pages of engine troubleshooting on the LT1 Fuel Pump thread. Haven't read that stuff in a long time, but maybe that will help. CHeck it out.

Edit: Reading your lest sentence, maybe it is the guage or the power to the guage.

ahhudgins
07-22-2011, 06:57 PM
I would "assume" the 4 wire plug is two wires for bulb, two wires for the gauge. I would look for a sending unit on the intake manifold (brown wire maybe) and try the tests in my link. Unplug the sensor should be cold on gauge, short it to block should be hot on the gauge.

Jim helped me figure out that my boat has 3 sensors:Gauge, idiot light, ECM.

The wife is "forcing" me to head to the lake so I've got to run!! Going to be 98 degrees both days :D
Good luck.

sc00ter_17
07-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Yes I found the sending unit on the manifold, 2 wires yellow and black. Plug looks good. Any way of testing with a digital voltmeter?

You have a good wife. Mine is the same way about going to the lake and also wanting a new MC.

sc00ter_17
07-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Any other help out there?